Henry H. Turner
Henry H. Turner. Skilled in the technical and constructive details of his chosen profession, that of architect, Mr. Turner has gained place as one of the prominent and successful representatives of his profession in western Michigan, where many buildings of the finest modern type bear evidence of his ability. He resides in the city of Grand Rapids, where his offices are at 919-923 Michigan Trust Building, and he maintains also an office in the city of Muskegon. Mr. Turner was born at Auburn, New York, November 23, 1881, and is a son of Herman H. and Matilda (Waalbaum) Turner, the former of whom was born in England, of Swedish ancestry, his father having given many years of service as captain of ocean vessels, and as a skilled navigator, having upheld the prestige of his Viking ancestors. Mrs. Matilda Turner was born in Germany, and was a child at the time her parents came to the United States. The parents of the subject of this review are now deceased. Henry H. Turner received most of his early education by attending the public schools of Brooklyn, New York, and for his chosen profession of architect he prepared himself by a thorough course in the celebrated Athenaeum in Rochester. His natural talent along artistic lines was effectively supplemented by a technical course in the school of architecture at Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass. There he continued his studies until 1909, when he came to Grand Rapids, Michigan, to become architect of the city’s public schools. He continued his service as school architect in this city until 1919, and since that time has been engaged in the independent practice of his profession. In his profession, Mr. Turner specializes in the designing of school and municipal buildings. Among the many modern and high-grade buildings designed by him may be mentioned those of the Creston, the Burton and the Ottawa Hills high schools, and the library building at the Western State Normal School of Michigan, at Kalamazoo. He is the official architect for the city of Muskegon, where, as previously noted, he maintains a branch office. In his large and well-equipped offices in Grand Rapids, Mr. Turner maintains a corps of well-trained and highly efficient assistants, who give him most loyal and effective co-operation. He is a member of the Michigan State Architects Society, the Michigan Engineers Society and the American Institute of Architects, as is he also of the Grand Rapids Engineers Society. He and his wife have membership in the Park Congregational church, and he is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, including the Mystic Shrine. In 1907 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Turner to Miss Josephine Henderson, of Cleveland, Ohio, and of this union were born two children, George Henderson, who died shortly after birth, and Henry H., Jr., who is now a student at the Culver Military Academy at Culver, Indiana. Mr. Turner is a member of the National City Planning Commission, and in his home city, he is chairman of the board of appeals, wider zoning and of the grade separation commission, which has supervision of matters pertaining to the elimination of railroad crossings at street levels.
Pages 214-215 – History of Kent County
Transcriber: Mary Huizen
Created: 7 February 2003