p.331 - Pierre Lindhout, registered architect and construction superintendent, has demonstrated and expressed in material results the exceptional ability that is his in the technical and artistic phases of his chosen profession, of which he is one of the leading exponents in the city of Grand Rapids, with offices in suite 539-543 Michigan Trust building. Mr. Lindhout was born in Belgium, June 23, 1887, and is a son of William L. and Josephine (Meyers), Lindhout, who now maintain their home in Grand Rapids. William L. Lindhout is a skilled architect and draftsman and had successfully followed his profession in Belgium prior to coming with his family to the United States. In Grand Rapids he is retained as draftsman for the Welch Manufacturing Company, one of the important industrial concerns of the city. Pierre Lindhout received his education in the admirable institutions of his native land, his advantages having included those of the Royal Academy of Art, at Antwerp, where he specialized in shipbuilding architecture. Before completing this course in this historic institution he came to the United States, in March, 1903, to join his parents in Grand Rapids, where they had preceded by about two years. Here he assumed a position in the offices of the representative architectural firm of Osgood & Osgood, and in order to familiarize himself with the English language, he here attended the public schools four months. He continued his association with Osgood & Osgood during a period of five years, and he then, in April, 1909, engaged independently in business as an architect and building superintendent. Mr. Lindhout has given himself earnestly and successfully to his chosen profession, in which he gives special attention to difficult planning, including the remodeling and modernizing of buildings. He has done much important architectural work in Grand Rapids, and notable evidences of his skill are the Wealth Street Baptist church the fine building of the Cascade Hills Country Club, the Bethany Reformed church and the Eighth Reformed church, as well as the First Reformed church of Grand Haven, and the first five-story store building in Holland for DeUries and Dornbos. He is an active and appreciative member of the Michigan Society of Architects, has membership in the Peninsular Club, the Lions Club and the Cascade Hills Country Club. He is affiliated with the Elks and Knights Pythias, and is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner, his basic Masonic affiliation being with York Lodge No. 410, A. F. & A. M., and he is, in 1925, worthy patron of York chapter No. 418 of the Order of the Eastern Star, in which his wife likewise held the office of Worthy Matron in 1923. Both are active members of the First Church of Christ, Scientist. March 13, 1911, Mr. Lindhout was united in marriage to Miss Trixie M. Pierce, daughter of Henry R. and Sarah Pierce, well known residents of Grand Rapids and representatives of families established in the United States for many generations. Mrs. Lindhout was graduated in the Central high school of Grand Rapids and was a student of the Detroit School of Art. Mr. And Mrs. Lindhout have two children; Saraphine, born May 27, 1913, and William Pierce, born September 22, 1924.
Transcriber: John Miller
Created: 4 March 2003