Walter John Jaracz

Page 585-587 - Walter John Jaracz, M.D. It was shortly after the close of his loyal service as a member of the medical corps of the United States army in the World war, in which he was overseas with the famous Rainbow division of the American Expeditionary Forces, that Dr. W.J. Jaracz had occasion to visit a friend in Grand Rapids. He was at the time seeking a location for the practice of his profession, and he ws so impressed with the advantages and attractions of this city that he here established his residence and here initiated the general practice of his profession. He has met with well merited success and has gained standing as one of the representative physicians and surgeons of the younger generation in Kent county. He has developed a large practice among the Polish families of Grand Rapids, and by them is held in high regard as a friend and counselor as well as a physician. Doctor Jaracz was born in the steel manufacturing city of East Chicago, Indiana, May 10, 1894, and is a son of John and Mary (Madro) Jaracz, who were born in Poland, and whose marriage was solemnized in the city of Chicago, they having come to the United States in 1885 and after their marriage having been numbered among the first settlers at East Chicago, the development of which as a great steel manufacturing center had been instituted shortly before that time. There John Jaracz found employment in the steel mills, later entering into the business of general merchandise and shoes until his death, in 1912, and there his widow still maintains her home, Doctor Jaracz, of this review; being the third in order of birth of their four children. In the public schools of his native city Doctor Jaracz continued his studies until his graduation from the high school, and in preparation for his chosen profession he entered the medical department of the University of Illinois, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1916, shortly after having attained to his legal majority. He was one of the youngest members of his class, was popular with the general student body of the school, and was secretary of the club there maintained by the polish students of the university. After receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine he fortified himself further by the valuable clinical experience that he gained in his two years of service as an interne in the City Hospital of St. Louis, Missouri, he having been for a portion of this period the senior house physician in this great hospital. When the nation entered the World war Doctor Jaracz promptly volunteered for service in the medical corps of the United States army, and after having been stationed for a time at Camp McClelland, Alabama, he passed a year in overseas service with the splendid Rainbow Division, technically the Forty-second Division, which made a record of most gallant service at the front and participated in many of the great campaigns that have now become historic. The Doctor lived up to the full tension of the conflict, and was with his command in the famous engagements of Chateau Thierry, the Argonne, the St. Mihiel drive, and others, besides which, after the signing of the armistice, he was with the allied army of occupation in Germany. He returned to the United States in April, 1919, and after receiving his honorable discharge he began prospecting for a desirable place in which to engage in the practice of his profession, his choice finally falling on Grand Rapids -- a choice that he has no reason to regret, for he has built up a substantial practice and here has won a host of friends. He is a member of the official staff of St. Mary's Hospital and that of the Infant Feeding Clinic, besides which he has membership in the Kent County Medical Society and the Michigan State Medical Society. He and his wife are earnest communicants of the Catholic parish of the Church of the Sacred Heart, and he is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Order of Foresters. In June, 1922, was solemnized the marriage of Doctor Jaracz to Miss Blanche Siersinski, of Manistee, Michigan, where she had previously served ten years as clerk in the office of the judge of the probate court of Manistee county. Doctor and Mrs Jaracz have a fine little son, Walter John, Jr. They own and occupy a beautiful home at 36 Valley avenue, southwest, overlooking the John Ball city park, and the Doctor maintains his office at 625 Bridge street, northwest.


Transcriber: Terry Start
Created: 13 December 2002
URL: http://kent.migenweb.net/white1924/personal/jaraczwj.html