Fred H. Hirth

Page 321-322 - Fred H. Hirth, as a contractor and as a manufacturer of and dealer in cut stone, marble and granite for building purposes, has the modern establishment at 244-54 Pike street, Northwest, and has in all departments the best of mechanical equipment and accessories. Mr. Hirth was born in Trenton, New Jersey, July 9, 1868, and is a son of Anton and Augusta Frederica (Beck) Hirth, who were born in Germany. The father is living in Grand Rapid, retired from active business. Anton Hirth came with his family to Grand Rapids in 1872, when his son Fred H., of this review, was four years of age, and in that year he was foreman in the execution of the cut-stone work on the Fountain Street Baptist Church. Thereafter he formed a partnership with Charles Schmidt. Mr. Hirth became one of the leading exponents of this line of business in this section of Michigan and after many years of successful operation he retired. Fred H. Hirth gained his early education in the schools of Grand Rapids, and was a lad of fifteen years when he became associated with his father’s business, in 1883. Under the able direction of his father he gained knowledge and skill in all departments of the business, and for forty-two years he has continued his activities in this line of enterprise in the location that is the site of his present modern and model plant. In furthering his equipment for his chosen sphere of activity Mr. Hirth advanced his knowledge of mathematics by a course in the Swensberg Commercial College; thereafter he studied under the preceptorship of a prominent architect, and he acquired specific knowledge of trigonometry, geometry, and algebra, all of which have definite bearing on the technical service he has been called upon to render in his business. His thorough knowledge of architectural work and its requirements, as coupled with his technical skill, ability and effective service has gained for him a well-established business. His word is bond. He has traveled in America and Europe, has thus had opportunity to study the most approved methods of cut-stone construction work, and has fortified himself for the highest grade of building construction service along his chosen line. He has done contract work under some of the leading American architects. In Grand Rapids he has thus been concerned in the erection of many important buildings. He is a member of the Association of Commerce and the local Builders and Traders Exchange, and he has membership also in the International Cut Stone and Quarrymen’s Association. His home is his club house and his wife and daughter are his companions there.


Transcriber: Nancy Myers
Created: 12 March 2003
URL:
http://kent.migenweb.net/white1924/personal/hirthfh.html