Arthur Carter Denison

Arthur Carter Denison has served since 1911 as United States Circuit Judge for the Sixth Circuit (Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee), and since assuming this office he has thereby been also, in consonance with new federal provisions, one of the judges of the United States court of Appeals for this Circuit, being now presiding judge of that court. He is a native son of this state and of the city in which he maintains his home, and is a representative of one of the pioneer families of Kent County. Judge Denison was born in Grand Rapids on November 10, 1861, and is a son of Julius C. and Cornelia (Carter) Denison. Julius Coe Denison was born in the state of New York, where he was reared and educated and where he maintained his residence until 1855, when he came to the little village of Grand Rapids, Michigan, then in the midst of the primeval surrounding forests, and obtained 160 acres of land in Paris Township and now within the city of Grand Rapids, where his old homestead is now bounded by Burton, Hall, Jefferson and Union streets. Here Mr. Denison reclaimed and developed a good farm, and he continued his alliance with farm industry until the close of his active career, both he and his wife having been citizens of Grand Rapids at the time of their death. In the public schools of Grand Rapids, Judge Denison continued his studies until he had completed his high school course, in 1878, entering the law department of the University of Michigan in 1881. In this department he was graduated as a member of the class of 1883, and his admission to the bar of his native state was virtually coincident with his reception of the degree of Bachelor of Laws. In Grand Rapids he forthwith initiated his activities in his profession, his first experience as a practitioner having been gained in the office of Edward Taggart, by whom he was admitted to partnership three years later, under the firm name of Taggart & Dennison. In 1900 the firm was amplified in personnel by the admission of Loyal E. Knappen, and the title then became Taggart, Knappen & Denison. In the final period of his active general practice Judge Denison was associated with Charles M. and Hugh E. Wilson, under the firm name of Taggert, Denison & Wilson. He appeared in connection with many cases of major importance, his practice was extended to Supreme Court of Michigan and to the Federal Courts, and his record in his profession marked him as especially eligible for judicial service. On February 2, 1910, he was appointed United States District Judge for the District of Western Michigan. October 3, of the following year he became United States Circuit Judge for the Sixth Circuit, of which important office he has since continued as incumbent. The Judge is a stalwart advocate and supporter of the principles of the Republican party. In 1903 he served as president of the Grand Rapids Bar Association and in 1906-07 he had the distinction of being president of the Michigan State Bar Association. In 1904-05 he was a member of the Grand Rapids Board of Education, of which he served as president in the latter year. The Judge is a member of the Peninsular Club and the Kent Country Club, and an attendant at the Park Congregational church in his home city. In 1886 Judge Denison was united in marriage to Miss Susie L. Goodrich, daughter of the late Hiram Goodrich, of Grand Rapids, and she passed to the life eternal in the year 1896. The three children of this union are John, Donald and Arthur C., Jr. In 1898 was solemnized the marriage of Judge Denison to Miss Julia Barlow, daughter of Herman G. Barlow, of Grand Rapids, and the one child of this marriage is a daughter, Ruth.


Transcriber: Nancy Myers
Created: 16 February 2005
URL: http://kent.migenweb.net/white1924/personal/denisonac.html