Louis Henry Chamberlin, M.D.

Page 563-564 - Louis Henry Chamberlin, M. D., who specializes in the surgical branch of his profession and who has attained to distinctive success and prestige therein, has been established in practice in the city of Grand Rapids continuously since 1898, save for the period of his service in the medical corps of the United States army at the time of the World war. Dr. Chamberlin was born at Port Dover, Ontario, Canada, February 24, 1874, and is a son of Calvin J. and Anna Maria (Hoffman) Chamberlin, the former of whom was born in Canada and the latter in Buffalo, New York. Both the Chamberlin and Hoffman families were founded in America in the early colonial era of our national history, the original representatives of the Chamberlin family having come from England and those of the Hoffman family from Germany. After having been engaged several years in mercantile enterprise at Port Dover, Ontario, Canada, Calvin J. Chamberlin came with his family to the United States, in the early eighties, and the home was established at Streator, Illinois. In 1887, Mr. Chamberlin came with his family to Grand Rapids, where he engaged in the lumber business and where he passed the remainder of his life, his widow being still a resident of this city. The earlier education of Doctor Chamberlin was acquired in the schools of Port Dover, Ontario, and Streator, Illinois, and he was thirteen years old at the time of the family removal to Grand Rapids, where he eventually completed his high school course. He then took up the study of pharmacy, and for three years he was in charge of the prescription department in the drug store of Peck Brothers. Thereafter he was employed in other drug establishments in Grand Rapids, and in 1894 he here began the study of medicine, under the preceptorship of Dr. E. J. Edwards. In 1898, he was graduated in the Detroit College of Medicine, and after thus receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine he was actively engaged in the general practice of his profession in Grand Rapids until 1914, since which year he has given exclusive attention to surgery. In the World war period he was for two years in service in the medical corps of the United States army, and he served as chief surgeon of the base hospital at Camp Mills, New York, he having been discharged from the service with the rank of major. The Doctor has fortified himself further by various postgraduate courses, and in 1914 he availed himself of the advantages of leading hospitals, medical schools and clinics in Europe. Doctor Chamberlin has membership in the Kent County Medical Society, the Michigan State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. In the Masonic fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and is affiliated also with the Elks. In 1901 was solemnized the marriage of Doctor Chamberlin to Miss Lula Sears, of Rockford, Kent county, she being a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of this county. Doctor and Mrs. Chamberlin have two children: Ruth, who is the wife of Elmer Wellin, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and Albert who remains at the parental home.

 


Transcriber: Nancy Myers
Created: 7 January 2004
URL: http://kent.migenweb.net/white1924/personal/chamberlinlh.html