Harry T. Baldwin

Page 507-508 - Harry T. Baldwin, who represents the Second ward of Grand Rapids on the municipal board of commissioners and who conducts a prosperous forging and welding business, besides manufacturing an improved type of ice tongs, invented by himself, and plumbers' calking tools, has his business headquarters in his well equipped plant at 1028 Fairmont street, southeast. This popular city commissioner is able to claim Kent county as the place of his nativity, his birth having occurred at Cannonsburg, December 7, 1857, a date which shows that he is a representative of one of the pioneer families of the county. He is a son of James A. and Susan S. Baldwin. James Baldwin was born at Michigan City, Indiana, his father, a native of Vermont and a scion of a New England colonial family, having become one of the pioneer settlers in northern Indiana. Mrs. Susan S. Baldwin was born in England, and was a child of eight years when her parents came to the United States and numbered themselves among the pioneers of Michigan, where her father, Jeremiah Hastings, became a substantial farmer. James Baldwin learned in his youth the trade of blacksmith, and upon coming from Indiana to Kent county, Michigan, in the early fifties, he engaged in the work of his trade at Cannonsburg. Then he continued to reside at Rockford until his death, in 1873. The death of his wife occurred in the town of Solon. Harry T. Baldwin attended the pioneer schools of Cannonsburg in Kent county and early began to assist in his father's shop, where he became a skilled artisan at the blacksmith trade, as did also two of his brothers. He continued in the work of his trade at Luther until 1891, when he removed to Grand Rapids and established a shop at 971-973 Cherry street, southeast, that has since been developed into a prosperous manufacturing establishment. He now does a general forging and welding business and other work of fine craftmanship, and he has also developed a substantial business in the manufacturing and sale of the Baldwin ice tongs, invented and patented by him. He has continuously resided in the east end of Grand Rapids and has been influential in community affairs in that section of the city, as shown in his having served fourteen years as alderman from the Second Ward, formerly the Third ward, besides which he has been commissioner from that ward two years under the present commission form of municipal government, his first term in this office having expired in 1925 and he having in that year been re-elected for a second term of two years. He takes deep interest in all that concerns the welfare of his home city and native county, and here he has a secure place in popular confidence and esteem. Mr. Baldwin is a Republican in politics, and he has been especially active in the fraternal orders with which he is identified. At. Luther, Lake county, he was raised to the degree of Master Mason in Luther Lodge No. 370, F & A. M., and his present affiliation is with Grand River Lodge, No. 34, Grand Rapids, of which he is past master and life member. He is past high priest of Grand Rapids Chapter, No. 7, R. A. M., and belongs to Tyre Council, No. 10, DeMolay Commnandery No. 5, K. T., Saladin Temple A. A. O. N. M. S., is past patron of Peninsula Chapter, No. 65, of the Order of the Eastern Star, is Past Watchman of the Shepherds of the White Shrine of Jerusalem, No. 1. He was a leader in the organizing of the American Fraternal Stars, and has been from the beginning its supreme president. In December, Mr. Baldwin became a life member of the Grand Rapids Chapter, No. 7, having been a member for twenty-five years. In 1879 Mr. Baldwin married Miss Addie F. Brown and her death occurred in 1906. In 1908 he wedded Miss Burde Gardiner, and she presides over the social and domestic affairs of their attractive home.


Transcriber: Gloria Paas
Created: 25 November 2002
URL: http://kent.migenweb.net/white1924/personal/baldwinht.html