Jerome L. Winchester
Mr. Winchester was in the Army of the Cumberland in Co. M, 9th ILL Cav. He began pioneer life in Byron in the summer of 1855, located on 80 acres which he purchased in 1853. Afterward he owned 95 acres in section 14 and 15, sixty of which was in fine tillable condition. Their beautiful brick home and other buildings cost about $2,100. They belonged to the Disciple Church.
At the close of the Civil War there was quite a settlement at the Winchester Corners. On the northeast corner was the second Winchester schoolhouse, east from which was a carpenter shop, owned and operated by Mr. David Wildman. On the northwest corner was a general store, and dwelling owned by Mr. Noah Crocker. In 1866, Mr. Calvin Winchester purchased the property. He operated the store until 1895, sold stock and equipment to Mr. Thomas Atkins. He closed the store and moved the contents to Carlisle where he operated a store on the site now occupied by the Wolfert General Store.
On the southwest corner was a blacksmith shop owned and operated by Mr. Jerome L. Winchester, this business was discontinued about the year 1885. Also, on this corner was a sawmill and a gristmill, owned and operated by Mr. Alonson Crocker. On 22 Jun 1895, the sawmill boiler exploded, killing two men, Mr. Martin Skinner and his nephew, Mr. Arthur Barney. Shortly after that all evidences of the little village disappeared.
Created: 21 February 2014