Hiram S. Towner
Hiram S. Towner, eldest son of Samuel and Cerelia L. (Blakeslee) Towner, born at Dover, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, 16 Jan 1851. At the age of twenty-nine he engaged in the flour and grain trade at Byron Center, on the north side, for eight months.
Then he removed the machinery to the south side of the village, where, jointly with his father and brother, he built a grist mill. He sold his interest to the other parties and was engaged by the day in his father’s saw mill.
His residence was situated on the northeast corner of Towner’s plat. He married 1 Jun 1872 at Saranac, Ionia Co., MI to Emma M. Pettibone, daughter of Knowlton S. and Sarah Anne (Sheppard) Pettibone. She was born in Grand Rapids, 8 Jun 1847 They had four children: The elegant brick structure was built by Mr. Towner in 1876. Being the first of that material built in this township. He was a republican and was always interested in public schools and the welfare for all concerned.
Created: 21 February 2014