E. B. Strong, M. D.
E. B. Strong, M. D., one of the well known physicians
and surgeons of southwestern Kent County, located at Byron Center, takes pride
in his profession, and his father having been eminent as a physician, and the
son following in the footsteps of his father.
E. B. Strong was born 6 Jul 1863 in Jackson County, MI, the youngest of two children that graced the marriage of Dr. Henry W. J. and Lucelia (Butler) Strong, and was six years old when he was brought to Kent County by his father Ė his mother died when he was three years old. His primary education was in the public schools, and two years in the Grand Rapids high school, known as Central High School. In the early years of his education he began to study engineering, still holds advanced ideas on mechanics, and hopes to see the day when one current in the appliances of electricity and motor power will be involved in the permanent features of his science.
After finishing his studies in Grand Rapids, he spent five years in the durg business at Byron Center. He read medicine under his fatherís direction for some time, and in 1882, he entered the medical department of the University of Ann Arbor and continued until 1883. He next passed one year home, and in 1885 went to the Detroit College of Medicine, from which he graduated with the class of 1887. Immediately after graduation he went to Petoskey, Michigan, for one season, and then entered the Union Benevolent Hospital at Grand Rapids (Blodgett Memorial Hospital) as house physician and surgeon for a year, and then returned to Byron Center and entered upon his present career.
Dr. Henry W. Strong, father of Dr. E. B. Strong, being in the profession over thirty years, has practically retired from the duties of medical practice since 1890 placing the responsibility upon his sonís shoulders. Dr. E. B. Strongís practice extends into Allegan, Kent and Ottawa counties. His success as a surgeon has been marvelous He keeps abreast of medical progress. He had a cordial nature.
On 26 Oct 1899, Dr. Strong married Pearl Bellows at her home in Cannon Township, Kent county. She was the daughter of E. C. and Elizabeth (Norton) Bellows. Mrs. Strong graduated from Butterworth Hospital as a nurse in 1898.
Created: 21 February 2014