Byron Neal was born in Ridgeville, Lorain County, Ohio on 13 Oct 1838. He was a farmer until 3 Aug 1862 when he enlisted in the Regt 102, Ohio, Volunteer Inf, Co. H. and served in the 23rd Army Corps, Army of Tennessee until 4 Jul 1865. Engaged in the siege of Knoxville, battle of Resaca, Georgia, where he was wounded, 14 May 1864; later when his leg healed he was detailed to transfer prisoners.
Being discharged, he returned to Ridgeville and engaged in farming for two year, then went to Elyria, OH and entered the mercantile trade for five years.
In 1876, he purchased the store of William B. Crabtree at Byron Center and kept a general stock of good merchandise, groceries, drugs, dry goods, agricultural implements and other miscellaneous items valued at $2,500.
In 1868 he had a fire and recovered $2,800 of his stock, total loss $4,000. In 1869, he erected a new building, to his original stock he added a meat market. The building was 36 x 60 feet. In 1881, he was appointed Postmaster. On 14 Sep 1869 he married Mrs. Hattie Peck, widow of James Peck. She died 25 Aug 1880 and was buried in Winchester Cemetery
Created: 21 February 2014