Harry Cooper was appointed postmaster in November, 1906, in
the Mrs. Addie Warner building.
A few years later he bought the corner building (where S. Burmania has his implement shop). It was known as a stationary shop,
sold books, papers, some jewelry, etc. This is the picture of the inside of the post office at the corner building.
Mr. Burt Marshall delivered mail by cutter during the winter of 1917.
U. S. Postoffice of Byron Center
The original postoffice was named "Buck Creek" postoffice in 1860. It was located one mile south of the McKenney School, on the northwest corner. At the four corners, was a house with a "false front", that is a square front, as all old time store fronts were built to differenciate them from dwellings. In this building was the postoffice and store.
There also was one name North Byron postoffice, which was located northwest over the railroad tracks. The train would slow down and throw ou the mail pouch in front of the store. The people would come and get their mail as there were no deliveries in those days.
In 1902, the postoffice was located where Simon Burmania Implement Store is, 2575 84th St. (1957), which at that time the building was owned by Mr. Cooper. He operated a small store and in connection with it had a fourth class postoffice, also, he was the postmaster. Mr. Cooper sold the building to Mr. Benjamin Sterken, who later sold to Mr. John Burmania, father of Simon Burmania, who operated the implement store today.
Then the postoffice was moved a few doors over in the building owned by Mrs. Adley Warner. Since that time the structure has been taken down, and today, Abe VanSweeden’s garage, 2581 84th St., stands on the location.
Next the postoffice moved across the street, what was known as Mrs. Crocker’s Boarding House, where Charles Haase has his building today. Three mail carriers worked from this postoffice. The routes were travelled by horse an buggy, leaving in the morning at 7 a.m. and returning at 4 p.m. They had from 30 to 31 miles of mail route, and at that time handled about 10,000 to 12,000 pieces of mail.
Since 1925, the postoffice has been located in the Van Der Zwaag building.
In October, 1877, Samiel Tobey was postmaster.
In June, 1881, Byron McNeal was postmaster.
On July 1, 1894, George Blain was postmaster, however, in August, 1894, David Irwin, Jr. took the postmastership til 1898. It was during that time that rural free delivery was started and Mary Irwin put up the first mail for the route that went from Byron Center to Dorr to New Salem and back to Byron Center. Any person wishing their mail delivered in a box on this route paid $1.00 a year. The first mail carrier was Frank Brown. He drove a horse, with an enclosed carriage.
At that time the postmaster had to furnish his own
scales and chair.
In 1917, Harry Cooper was postmaster, and his assistant was Anthony Droppers.
In 1918, Mr. M. G. Wells was postmaster. He held this position for 36 years. Mr. Robert Terrell was his assistant until Mr. Wells passed away. Mr. Terrel took an examination and in 1954, he became postmaster.
In 1893, the rate for a postoffice box was 10 cents and at that time they had 147 boxes. Receipts from the stamp sales was from $25 to $35 per month.
At one time there were four mail route carriers, it was dropped to two, however, today they have 3 carries as follows: Mr. B. Marshall, mail carrier for 40 years in Byron Center, has route No. 2. He covers 45 miles on his route. His count of delivered pieces of parcels, papers and letters of a 13-day period was better than 19,000 pieces.
Mr. Earl Dolittle had route No. 1, he covers 48 miles daily. His count for the 13-day period was 12,347 pieces of mail.
Mr. Alec S. Geale has route No. 3, he covers 37 miles daily and his count for the 13-day period was 12,347 pieces of mail.
The present personnel of the Byron Center postoffice is Mr. Robert Terrell, postmaster; Mrs. Ruth Shield and James R. Swinson, clerks. (1957)
Scanned and Transcribed by ES
Created: 30 March 2014