History of the Rockford Pilgrim Holiness Mission
On July 3, 1933, after two years of cottage prayer meetings led by Denver Pease, a group of 12 people decided to organize for the work of the Lord and lost souls.
They met at the home of Elmer Phelps in Rockford. Rev. Edwin Boone, paster of the First Pilgrim Tabernacle, Grand Rapids, acting as chairman. The name Pilgrim Holiness Mission was chosen and the temporary place of worship to be the Spiritualist Hall, corner of Bridge and Dayton. 12 voters were cast 11 of them choose Rev. Denver Pease of Edgerton as pastor for the coming year. In July 1935, the present pastor, Rev. Irving Polmenteer of Grand Rapids, was called as pastor. In 1938, the members now numbering 32 decided to built a church of their own. Two lots were purchased on U.S. 131 north of the Kent County Garage. They have the basement well underway, and are looking forward to a finished building in the near future.
Transcriber: Jennifer Godwin
Created: 4 February 2000