History of Rockford Oddfellow Lodge No. 247
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was organized in Rockford, November 27, 1874. The instituting officer was Past Grand Henry Baldrey of Grand Rapids. There were eight charter members. They were Edwin J. Hopkins, William Powell, Nelson E. Downey, William W. Wilson, Ezra Hayes, Henry R. Borigo, Lawson N. Rice and Elias C. Brooks. The first officers were Noble Grand, William W. Wilson; Vice Grand, Lawson N. Rice; Secretary, Elias C. Brooks; Treasurer, Henry R. Borigo, and Deputy District Grand Master, William Powell.
The first place of meetings are not known, but about 1882, they mvoed into the Wellbrook Hall which was over, what is now known as the Elkins Oil Station. In 1912 they moved into their new hall, which they have occupied since that time. At that time Franklin Jessup was Noble Grand.
Among the older living members are found John L. Bailey, Austin Bailey, Ross Squires, William Myers, George Rector, Albert Rounds, and W. L. Chapman of California.
The present officers are as follow:
Noble Grand - Robert Strom; Vice Grand - Marvin Tyrell; Recording Secretary - Howard Conant; Financial Secretary - Charles Harris; Treasurer - Dale Bradley. (26)
Transcriber: Jennifer Godwin
Created: 21 April 2000