1867 Grandville Union School
Early History of Grandville High School
The first school house erected in District Number One was at the corner of White and Ottawa Streets. This school was used by the early settlers until about 1867, when another was built across from the Methodist Church, Mr. Kent being the first superintendent.
The Grandville Union School on the corner of Wedgwood Court and Prairie Street was organized 15 October 1866 and the school building was erected in 1867.
1910 Grandville Public School
In 1908 the question of a new school building was raised. This question proved to be the chief subject of discussion at numerous school meetings throughout that year and the next. It was finally voted that the district should erect a new centrally located building and the present structure which was built in 1910 is the result. This building was razed in 1967.
The school was built between Ottawa Street on the west, Superior Street on the north, Barrett Street on the east and Prairie Street on the south.
During the eight years since the completion of the building the school has grown considerably so that more room is greatly needed. Last year a proposition to build an addition was voted down but we still have hopes of securing more adequate accommodations in the near future. A new school was built.
1926 Grandville High School
1951 Grandville Public Schools
1963 Grandville Public Schools
(NOTE: In 1964 it became the Grandville Junior High and in 1999 the Junior Middle School (6th grade only).
The Grandville Congregational Church was the first church in the Grand River Valley. It was located on the corner of Oakes and Church Streets and established in 1838.
#10 School was established July, 1887 south of Grandville at 4122 – 44th Street.
In 1983 the building was moved to Heritage Park.
See some 1910 photos of Grandville
Scanned by Evelyn Sawyer, Material loaned by Terri Start
Created: 22 November 2005