History of the Tyrone School District No. 1
The Tyrone Fractional Casnovia Township, District No. 1 School was moved from Tyrone to Casnovia in 1880. It is also mentioned in the school board minutes of that year.
At the Library of Michigan, Judy Pulte researched the history of the two townships in their respective counties, and both counties claim that the school was begun in 1855. Illustrations in the atlas of Muskegon County 1900 show a plat map of Casnovia Village with the section numbers for all four sections in the village with the 1900 location of the school on the Muskegon side of Casnovia Village.
The site in section 30 of the village where the school was originally, 'near the residence of Uriah Chubb', is still unclear.
(NOTE: Judy Pulte and her cousin, Marilyn Clark, are researching this further and we will add updates when we have received them.)
Casnovia School, 1909. It was destroyed by fire.
The student under the arrow is (Grandma) Rose.
Teacher's Contract with Tyrone School District No. 1 Fractional
Contributer: Judy Pulte
Created: 14 November 2008