This wooden two-room schoolhouse was on the site of what is now the Kelloggsville High School location
(Picture was taken in 1897)
The Kelloggsville Schools, 1856 – 2006
Kelloggsville was between the Godwin School district and Wyoming Park School district. Godwin schools were organized in 1843 and Wyoming Park schools in 1850.
Kelloggsville and Godfrey Lee school districts were formed in the 1850’s.
Kelloggsville school district was formed in 1856 and the first school was built on land given by Simon Kellogg in 1859.
The first one-room school was located on South Division where the high school now stands. James Kenney, who came from Canada with his parents when he was 12 years old, was the first school teacher. He passed an examination at the age of 16. Division Avenue was a busy thoroughfare where stagecoaches traveled on the plank road between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids.
The first Kelloggsville High School graduating class was in 1938 and there were six graduates.
Created: 18 Aug 2008