Newspapers of Grand Rapids

Michigan Pioneers Collection
Vol. 6, 1883; pages 82-83.

The first newspaper was started by George W. Pattison, in 1837, and was called the Grand River Times. The paper was politically neutral, and open for both whig and democratic articles. The writers for the Democratic side were from time to time, Simeon M. Johnson, Charles H. Taylor, Sylvester Granger, and Charles I. Walker; for the whig side, George Martin, Wm. G. Henry, E. B. Bostwick, and T. W. Higginson. Noble H. Finney assisted as editor at first. James H. Morse had an interest in it for a time. In May 1841, it passed into the hands of Morse and Simeon M. Johnson, and the latter as editor, being a great admirer of the Richmond paper of that name, changed its name to the Inquirer. In 1843, E. D. Burr became a partner, and it hoisted the democratic flag, with John C. Calhoun for president. The following year it supported Polk, and a campaign sheet was issued in connection with it, called Young Hickory. About 1845, Jacob Barns, for Mrs. Stevens, became its manager, and a few years later it was purchased by Taylor and Barns (C. H. Taylor and Jacob Barns), who published it till 1857. Thomas B. Church was its editor for some years, from about 1845-1850.

In March, 1855, A. E. Gordon started the first daily paper in Grand Rapids, called  The Herald. In November following, The Inquirer issued a daily edition, and in May, 1856, The Daily Eagle was started, The Eagle having previously been published weekly only. At about the close of the war, The Inquirer and The Herald, having merged in 1857, passed into the hands of Merrills H. Clark and was renamed The Grand Rapids Democrat.

The Grand Rapids Eagle was started December 25, 1844, by Aaron B. Turner. The daily issue of the Eagle began May 26, 1856. Changed from whig to democratic and finally to republican in politics

The Grand Rapids Times (daily and weekly) was established in April, 1870, by C. C. Sexton. Its present proprietors are Tarbox & Pierce. It is republican in politics.

The Grand Rapids Post (two editions weekly) was established by D. H. Foster, October 4, 1873. Mr. Foster still continues to publish it. The Post is independent in politics.

Note (RA): The Grand Rapids Press was established in 1893.


Ethnic Newspapers of Grand Rapids

Michigan Pioneer Collections
Vol. 6, 1883; page 83

The Vrijheids Banier (Banner of Liberty), a Holland paper, weekly and republican in politics, was established November 1, 1868, by Verburg & Van Leeuwen. Jas. Van der Sluis is the present proprietor, and he claims the largest circulation of any Holland paper in the United States.

The States Zeitung, a German weekly paper, independent in politics, was established November 25, 1874, by its present proprietor, Wm. Eichelsdoerfer.

De Standard, a Holland paper, democratic in politics, was established January 20, 1875, by D. Schram and T. Van Strien. The last named is the present proprietor.


Other Newspapers Outside of Grand Rapids

Michigan Pioneer Collections
Vol. 6, 1883; page 83

The Journal was established at Lowell, in July, 1865, by Webster Morris. James W. Hine is the present proprietor. It is a weekly, and republican in politics.

The Cedar Springs Clipper is an independent weekly paper, printed at Cedar Springs, and established by its present owner, L. M. Sellers, December 29, 1869.

The Register, a weekly paper, independent in politics, published at Rockford, was established by its present proprietor, C. H. Cowdin, February 8, 1871.


See also the Newspapers section of the early history of the city of Grand Rapids from the 1870 city directory.

URL:http://kent.migenweb.net/pioneer/newspapers.html      

Transcriber: Ronnie Aungst
Created: 28 April 1999