Obituaries of Peninsular Club Members

  1. Achterhoff, Grace

  2. Baldwin, Charles Judson

  3. Bettes, Jesse R.

  4. Blanker, Baby Boy

  5. Boland, Martin

  6. Broekstra, Edward

  7. Broene, Cornelius

  8. Brown, T. Herschel

  9. Bylenga, Harry

  10. Carpenter, Dr. Irving D.

  11. Christopherson, Marie

  12. Denison, Judge A. C.

  13. Dennis, Roy E.

  14. Drake, Robert R.

  15. Duffy, John

  16. Dubois, Erwin

  17. Fisher, Arthur

  18. Gray, Hugh J.

  19. Gunn, Jane McIntosh

  20. Hayword, Walter J.

  21. Kain, Thomas Peter

  22. Kinsey, Elmer L.

  23. Knoper, Mrs. Henry

  24. Krombeen, Jennie Frances

  25. Kuete, Anton

  26. Landstra, Gertrude

  27. Lockwood, Closson Lyman

  28. Maas, Peter

  29. MacPhail, Herman W.

  30. McDonald, John Samuel

  31. Medema, Anne

  32. Merrills, Bert D.

  33. Monson, Clarence S.

  34. Munshaw, Earl W.

  35. Norris, Mark

  36. Odejeski, Mary

  37. Rathbone, Alfred Day, III

  38. Schall, Benno T.

  39. Sebunia, Thomas

  40. Shoemaker, Carrie

  41. Silkowski, Mathias

  42. Stalter, Francis N.

  43. Stanton, Baby Dixie Lee

  44. Steenland, Ann

  45. Swanson, Henry

  46. Syre, Minnie

  47. Tansey, Mary

  48. Temmink, Olga

  49. VanEtten, Clarence J.

  50. Vietor, Dr. Russell I.

  51. Walton, Minor

  52. Wilcox, Sanford P.

  53. Wiles, Frank

  54. Williams, Clarence I.

  55. Williams, Ralph

  56. Wilmarth, Harold C.

  57. Worst, Albertus

BETTES - 12/8/1941 - Death Takes J. R. Bettes, Manager of Sparta Co-op, Dies Unexpectedly At Farm Home
Sparta-- Jesse R. Bettes, 56, for 22 years manager of the Sparta Co-operative and Shipping association, died unexpectedly Sunday at his farm home northwest of here where he had resided 30 years.
Mr. Bettes was born at Sparta Aug. 13, 1885, the son of William G. and Lucetta J. Bettes. He was graduated from the local high school in 1904 and married Mary E. McConnell on June 12, 1907.
He was active in the Methodist church, of which he was a member, having been on the board of stewards and treasurer of the board of trustees. He was instrumental in clearing the mortgage of the church and for a quarter of a century taught a young peoples Sunday school class.
Mr. Bettes had been director of the Michigan Livestock Exchange and was vice president of the Michigan Independent Grain Growers association.
Surviving are the widow, Mary; a son, Howard at home; a daughter, Mrs. Ralph E. Barnum of Detroit, and a brother, George W. Bettes of Sparta.
The body will repose at the home until Tuesday noon when it will be taken to the Bettes chapel.It will remain there until Wednesday noon when it will be removed to the Methodist church where it will lie in state until 2:30 p.m., the hour of funeral. Burial will be in Greenwood cemetery.

BOLAND - 10/2/1893 - Martin Boland’s Funeral
Many Friends and His Fraters Attend The Last Rites Yesterday - The funeral of Martin Boland was held from O’Brien Bros. rooms on Ottawa street at 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon. The service were conducted by Valley City Lodge, F. & A.M.
The few words of the burial ceremony were soon said, and headed by a guard of masons and Wurzburg’s band the funeral march to Fulton street cemetery was taken up.
The funeral was attended by 150 members of Typographical Union No.39 in a body, by Custer Post, G.A.R., and by Valley City Lodge, F.& A.M., besides a large number of friends who had known Mr. Boland in his lifetime. None of the relatives arrived in time for the funeral, although they were wired of his sad death.
The casket stood in the parlor of O'Brien Bros. place surrounded with beautiful ferns, palms and fall flowers.
At the head was a floral piece with these words worked upon it: “Our President, Typographical Union No. 39.” At the foot was a tasteful design of a printer’s stick and upon it these words: “Slug 4.”
The piece was the tribute of The Herald chapel, of which the dead man had been a member.
The carriers from the Masonic order were D. H. Mosher, M. E. Stockwell, P. J. Lindquist, Charles Simpson, H. J. Long and Fred L. Baker, the two last named being members of the Typographical union. The honorary bearers from the union were W. S. Ryness, Gustave Miller, S. T. Lockwood, W. H. Tootand W. A. Shaw.
The procession was formed as follows: Wurzburg’s band, Typographical union, Custer post, Valley City lodge, thehearse, carriages. The services at the Cemetery were short, and Martin Boland was at rest.

12/8/1941 - CHRISTOPHERSEN--Mrs. Marie Christophersen, aged 82, passed away early Monday morning at her home, 748 Coats st., S.W. Surviving are two sons, Alfred of Racine, Wis., and Harry of Saginaw , Mich.: two daughters, Mrs. Margaret Peters and Mrs. Agnes Nelson, both of Grand Rapids; thirteen grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Andrew Johnson of South Bend, Ind. Mrs. Christophersen reposes at the Joldersma & Son Funeral Home, 832 Grandville av., S.W., where funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock, Burial in Restlawn Memorial Park.

KNOPER--Mrs. Henry Knoper, aged 77, passed away Sunday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Justin Zylstra, in Allendale. She is survived by two other daughters, Mrs. William Meerman of Coopersville and Mrs. Henry Walcott of Grand Rapids; five sons, Harm and Simon of Grand Rapids; thirty-five grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Tuesdayat 1:30 at the home (private) of John Zylstra and 2 o’clock at the Allendale Christian Reformed church. Rev,. Keegstra officiating. Burial in Allendale cemetery. Arrangements by Wolbrink, Allendale.

MAAS--Peter Maas, aged 77, passed away early Monday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George Van Woerkom, 341 Indiana av., S.W. Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Anna Maas; the daughter at whose home he died; a son, Earl Maas, and one grandson; three sisters, Miss MaryMaas, Mrs. Annie Ward and Mrs. Frank Orean. Mr. Maas’ body reposes at the Alt Mortuary, where funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2:20. Interment in Rosedale.

“Peter Maas, Resident Here 77 Years, Dies” Peter Maas, 77, lifelong resident of this city, died Monday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George VanWorkam, 341 Indiana-av., S.W. He was a former garage mechanic employed by the road commission.
Besides his daughter, he is survived by his widow, Anna, a son, Earl, a grandson, and three sisters, Mary Maas, Mrs. Annie Ward and Mrs. Frank Orean.
Funeral services will be held at 2:30 Wednesday at the Alt chapel. Burial will be in Rosedale Memorial park.

Krombeen--Mrs. Jennie Frances Krombeen, aged 57, passed away Sunday evening at her home, 929 Prince-st., S.E. Surviving are her husband, Nicholas Krombeen; one daughter, Miss Elizabeth Krombeen; two sons, John and George Krombeen; five grandchildren; her mother, Mrs. Pauline Veen; one sister, Mrs. Lillian VanWeezel; one brother, Philip Veen. Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Oakdale Park Reformed church. Rev. A. Maatman officiating. Relatives will meet in the church parlors at 1:30. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery. Mrs. Krombeen will repose at the home until Wednesday noon. Arrangements by Zaagman.

DuBois--Erwin DuBois, aged 37, passed away Sunday morning at his home in Allendale township. He is survived by his father, Ernest; three sisters, Dorothy, Mrs. Frieda Klemke and Mrs. Lillian Schmidt, and one brother, Arthur. The body will be taken from the Wolbrink Funeral Home, Allendale, to the family home Wednesday morning, where services will be held at 2 o’clock and at 2:30 at St. John’s Lutheran church. Blendon. Interment in Allendale cemetery.


Gunn--Mrs. Jane McIntosh Gunn, aged 82, widow of John A. Gunn, passed away Tuesday morning at her home, 1233 Sherman-st., S.E. Surviving are four daughters, Miss Irna A. Gunn, Mrs. Helen Brown, Mrs. E. Lloyd Bennett and Mrs. John M. Alden of Grand Rapids; two brothers, Robert B. Grant of Grand Rapids and Donald Grant of Canada; four sisters, Mrs. Hugh Campbell, Mrs. Angus Cameron, Mrs. Duncan MacRae, all of Canada, and Mrs. Hiram Gunn of Scarsdale, N.Y. Mrs. Gunn was removed to Metcalf Mortuary, where services will be held at 3:30 Thursday afternoon. Mr. Audley F. Hewitt will officiate. Interment in Fair Plains cemetery.

Tansey--Mrs. Mary Tansey, aged 75, of 230 Crescent-st., N.E. passed away Wednesday morning at St. Mary’s hospital after a short illness. She is survived by one daughter, Miss Kathryn M. Tansey; a brother and sister in Ireland Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 9:30 at the Colonial Funeral Home, and at St. Andrew’s cathedral at 10. Interment in St. Andrew’s cemetery. Friends will recite the Rosary Thursday evening at 8:15 at the funeral home, where Mrs. Tansey reposes.

Medema--Mrs. Anne Medema, aged 72, of 1665 Martindale-av., S.W., passed away Wednesday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Neil VanOveren, 1965 Buchanan-av., S.W. Surviving are two sons, Floris of Cleveland, Melvin of Muskegon; three daughters, Mrs. Neil VanOveren and Mrs. John Marema of Grand Rapids, Mrs. John Vandenberge of Princeton, N.J.; twelve grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2:30 at the Joldersma & Son Funeral Home, 832 Grandville-av., S.W., Rev. L.H. Benes officiating. Burial in Woodlawn cemetery. Mrs. Medema reposes at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Marema, 1665 Martindale-av., S.W., until Friday morning.

Merrills--Bert D. Merrills, aged 59, passed away Monday evening. He is survived by his widow, Caroline; two daughters, Mrs. Martin VanDreumel, jr., of Grand Rapids, Miss Dorothy at home; one son Pvt. Albert D. Merrills, United States Army, Camp Wallace, Tex.; three grandchildren; one brother, Seward Merrills of Rockford, Mich.; one sister, Mrs. Ed Wynkoff of Grand Rapids. His body reposes at the family residence, 432 Rumsey-st., S.W. Funeral announcement late. Arrangements by Ronan Funeral Home.

Landstra--Gertrude - Funeral services for Mrs. Gertrude Landstra, aged 59, of 717 Franklin-st., S.E., will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Zaagman Funeral Chapel. Interment Restlawn Memorial park. Mrs. Landstra reposes at the chapel.

Broekstra--Edward Broekstra, aged 57, of Butterworth-rd., S.W., died unexpectedly Monday morning. He is survived by a son, James Tansey; two daughters, Mrs. George Bowman and Mrs. Richard Linski; two brothers, John and Senia Broekstra; a sister, Mrs. Terrance Haggerty, and four grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Alt Mortuary Chapel. Interment in Rosedale Memorial park. Mr. Broekstra will repose at his late residence until Thursday morning at 11 o’clock.

Temmink--Mrs. Olga Temmink, aged 50 years, of 64 Fuller-av., N.E., died Tuesday morning g at Butterworth hospital. She is survived by her husband, J. Allan Temmink; one daughter, Miss Marian Clawson; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Westman, all of Grand Rapids, and three brothers and three sisters. Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Vanderpool Funeral Home 68 Jefferson-av., S.E. Rev. Harold Janes, of Park Congregational church, will officiate. The body will later be removed to Detroit for cremation service.

Williams--Ralph - Funeral services for Ralph Williams, aged 45, of 533 Kendalwood-dr. N.E., will be held at 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon at the North Park Presbyterian church. Mr. Williams will repose at the home until 10 o’clock Thursday morning when he will be removed to the church to lie in state until time of service. Interment Fair Plains cemetery. Arrangements by Van Strien-Aiman

Vietor--Dr. Russell I. - Funeral services for Dr. Russell I. Vietor, who passed away Monday afternoon, will be held at the Metcalf Chapel at 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon. Interment Greenwood cemetery.

Worst--Albertus - Funeral services for Albertus Worst, who passed away Monday morning at his home, will be held Thursday at 2 o’clock at the Hollwerda Funeral Home. Interment Restlawn Memorial park. Mr. Worst will repose at his home, 327 Freyling-pl., S.E., until Thursday morning.

Stanton--Baby Dixie Lee Stanton, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kieth Stanton of Sparta, passed away Monday morning. Surviving besides the parents are a brother and sister, Donald and Janet; the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Roskamp and Mrs. Alta Stanton; great-grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. I.H. Havens and Martin Roskamp. Private prayer services were held Tuesday morning, with interment in Sparta Greenwood cemetery. Arrangements by the Bettes Memorial Chapel.


Shoemaker--Mrs. Carrie Shoemaker, aged 81, a lifelong resident of Lansing, passed away Wednesday at Butterworth hospital. Surviving are five cousins, Mrs. Mary Barber, Miss Gertrude and Miss Jessica Bush, Mrs. Gladys Joslin and Mrs. John A Kozak. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 in the Palmer-O’Donnell chapel at Lansing. Interment in Lansing cemetery. Mrs. Shoemaker will repose at the Creston Funeral Home until Saturday noon. Lansing papers please copy.

Fisher--Arthur - Funeral services for Arthur Fisher, aged 74, will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at the Creston Funeral Home, where Mr. Fisher repose. Interment in Fairplains cemetery.

Hayward--Walter J. - Funeral service for Walter J. Hayword, aged 73, of 66 Stewart-st., s.w. will be held Friday at 2 p.m. from Sullivan Funeral Home, Inc. Interment in Restlawn Memorial park. (The last name was spelled two different ways in paper.)

Broene--Cornelius - Funeral services for Cornelius Broene, aged, 71, of 330 Henry-av., S.E., will be held Friday afternoon at 3:30 at the Zaagman Funeral Chapel, Rev. William Stuart officiating. Interment Oak Hill cemetery. Mr. Broene reposes at the chapel.

Sebunia--Thomas Sebunia, aged 67, of 1024 Butterworth-sr., S.W., passed away suddenly Wednesday afternoon at the resident. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Mary Sebunia, three daughters, Mrs. Joseph Kulesa, Mrs. Walter Grzvgorski and Mrs. Richard McCord, all of Grand Rapids; two sons, Chester and William at home; three sisters in Erie, Pennsylvania; one brother, Anthony Sebunia, in Grand Rapids, and six grandchildren. Mr. Sebunia reposes at the late residence. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 9 a.m. at the Scared Heart church. Interment Polish Catholic cemetery. Arrangements by the Arsulowicz Funeral Home.

Steenland--Mrs. Anna Steenland, aged 65, of Division-rd., S., passed away Thursday morning at her home. She is survived by her husband, Matt and one brother, James Chadwick of Birmingham, Ala. The body was removed to the Workman Funeral Home. Funeral announcement later.

Kuete--Anton Kuete, aged 64, residing at 418 Bridge-st., N.W., passed away Wednesday afternoon at St. Mary’s hospital. Surviving are three brothers, Frank of Grand Rapids, Bernard of Detroit, John of Los Angeles. He was a member of the St. Joseph and Holy Name societies of St. Mary’s church, where funeral services will be held Saturday morning at 9 o’clock. Interment in Mt. Calvary cemetery. Mr. Kuete reposes at Alt Mortuary where members of the societies and friends will recite the rosary Friday evening at 8 o’clock.

Odejeski--Mrs. Mary Odejeski, aged 60, of 211 Valley-av., N.W., passed away Wednesday afternoon at the residence. Surviving are the husband, Matthew Odejeski; three daughters, Mrs. Roman Podell and Mrs. Walter Swiezawski of Grand Rapids, and Miss Anna at home; one son, Chester, of Grand Rapids; one brother, Frank Malich, of Pasco Robles, California, and three grandchildren. Mrs. Odejeski reposes at the late residence. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. at Sacred Heart church. Interment in Polish Catholic cemetery. Arrangements by the Arsulowicz Funeral Home.

Walton--Minor Walton, aged 59, passed away Wednesday at his home, 1744 Alexander, S.E. He is survived by his widow, Margaret; one stepdaughter, Barbara Eldred; his father, Fred Walton of Shepherd, Mich.; two sisters, Mrs. Florine White of Shepherd, and Mrs. Earl Mester of Royal Oak. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. in Park Congregational church. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery. Mr. Walton will repose at Rauschenberger’s Funeral Home until noon Saturday. The body will he in state at the church from noon until time of service.

Achterhoff--Grace - Funeral services for Mrs. Grace Achterhoff, aged 53, of 1307 Scriber, N.W., will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Van’t Hoff Funeral Home. Burial in Oakwood Cemetery, Muskegon. The body will repose at the residence until Saturday noon.

Syre--Mrs. Minnie Syre, aged 52, of 24 Home-st.., S.E., passed away Wednesday afternoon. She is survived by her husband, Frank, and one son, Keith of Grand Rapids; two brothers, Edward Kirk of Los Angeles, Calif., and Will Kirk of Kansas City. Funeral services Saturday at 2 p.m. at Kilstrom’s Funeral Home, 511 Union-av., S.E. Burial in Restlawn cemetery.

Blanker--Baby Blanker, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Blanker, of 17 Mack-av., passed away at birth Wednesday evening at Blodgett hospital. Besides the partents, he is survived by one brother Roger Lee; the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. John Ilbrink and Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Koster. Prayer services will be held Thursday afternoon at the Wyoming township cemetery. Arrangements by Holwerda.

Silkowski--Mathias - Funeral services for Mathias Silkowski will be held Saturday morning at 9 o’clock at St. Adalbert’s church. Interment Polish Catholic cemetery. The body reposes at the Derezinski Funeral Home.

Obits 1936-1945


John Duffy- Peninsular Club member for more than a quarter of a century, and president from 1908 to 1916, died February 9. Mr. Duffy was born at Osceola Mills, Pa., March 31, 1870, the son of John and Margaret Millward Duffy. He attended the public schools and supplemented his formal education with a wide variety of practical experience. Beginning his career as grocery delivery boy, he later was a machinist at Fuller & Rice Lumber Co., and subsequently the Kent Furniture Co. He then returned to school, taking a business college course that enabled him to qualify as stenographer and bookkeeper for the Fox Machine Co. Eventually he became secretary of this company, and afterward established a sash pulley business which became the Grand Rapids Hardware Co., of which he was president at the time of his death.

In 1915 Mr. Duffy was elected director of the Michigan Trust Company, and on November 24, 1926, became chairman of the board. In addition to his affiliation with the Peninsular Club as member and president, he also served as president of the Schubert Club. He possessed an excellent singing voice, and was a member of Park Congregational Church choir. Often he sang with J. Francis Campbell, George A. Murphy, W. Hazel Riley, Andrew Fyfe, and Fred A. Caro. Mr. Duffy was also active as trustee of the Foster Welfare Foundation and as president of the Blodgett Memorial Hospital. He was a leader in Community Chest work, and a valued member of the Kent Country Club and the Mason fraternity. Surviving Mr. Duffy are the widow who was Miss Margaret Long, whom he married February 24, 1903, a daughter, Mrs. Kenneth Beukema, and a brother, James Duffy. Funeral services were held at the family resident, 20 Gay Ave., S.E. with Rev. Edward A. Thompson of Park Congregational Church officiating. Mr. Duffy’s passing is keenly felt by hundreds of Club members who knew him personally and admired his sterling friendship and leadership.



Clarence J. Van Etten-Another well known Peninsular Club member died March 18 at his resident, 260 Paris Ave., S.E. Mr. Van Etten was born October 9, 1865, in Lyons, Mich., where he was educated in the public schools, and received training in pharmacy, which he practiced for a number of years in Lyons and later at Montague. When about 25 years of age he came to Grand Rapids, took a business course, and entered directly into the employ of D.A. Blodgett, Sr., as clerk and stenographer for the D.A. Blodgett Company. He advanced steadily in responsibility, and when the D.A. Blodgett Co., Ltd., was organized in 1904, Mr. Van Etten was soon appointed secretary and treasurer, a position which he held until his death. In all he was associated with D.A. Blodgett, Sr., and John W. Blodgett for more than 45 years in their lumbering and other enterprises.

In addition to being a member of the Peninsular Club, Mr. Van Etten was affiliated with the Kent Country Club,. and a member of the Park Congregational Church. He was very instrumental in planning and supervising construction of the Blodgett Memorial Hospital, devoting two years, from, 1914 to 1916, almost exclusively to this important project. Surviving Mr. Van Etten besides the widow and a daughter, Mrs. John Harris Ward of New York, are two sisters, Mrs. James P. Kilby of Nyack, N.Y., and Mrs. Thomas W. Williams of Elmira, N.Y., and two grandchildren. Funeral services were conducted at the resident by Rev. Edward A. Thompson.

Charles Judson Baldwin-The third Peninsular Club member to be claimed by death recently, died at his home, 1835 Jefferson Ave., S.E., Sunday afternoon, March 22. He had been ill for two weeks, following a heart attack. Mr. Baldwin was born in Huron, S.D., on October 1, 1881. He received his education in that city, and later lived on a South Dakota ranch for a number of years. Subsequently he associated himself with the Globe-Wernicke Company, office equipment manufacturers, remaining in Cincinnati, Ohio, for four years. He then came to Grand Rapids to work for the Mercy Company. Over a period of more than 30 years, he gradually advanced to the office of vice-president and general manager of this local concern.

In addition to his Peninsular Club affiliation, Mr. Baldwin was prominently identified with many other local social and civic institutions and activities. He was a member of the Highlands Country Club and Doric Lodge, F. & A.M. He was also a Shriner. Surviving Mr. Baldwin are the widow, Mrs. Nell Baldwin; two sons, Tom and Eugene, and a grandson, Judson Eugene Baldwin. Dr. Charles W. Helsley of East Congregational Church officiated at the funeral services which were held at the Berton A. Spring chapel.



The Last Roll Call-Two well known members of the Peninsular Club answered the last roll call during the past month and their passing is a source of keen personal loss to their many friends and associates in the club as well as in other walks of life.

John Samuel McDonald-Former State Supreme Court Justice, John Samuel McDonald, died Sunday, July 6, at his home 309 Madison Ave., S.E., following an extended illness. He was 77 years of age.

Although he had been at the law offices of McDonald and McDonald in the Federal Square building where he was in partnership with his son, John Duncan McDonald, on Thursday before being stricken at his resident Friday with a heart attack that resulted in his death, Judge McDonald had not been in sound health since undergoing an operation at University Hospital, Ann Arbor, a year ago.

During his long and prominent career he held many office in city, county, and state. He served as prosecutor and circuit judge and during his tenure on the state supreme court was chief justice.

Besides the widow, who was Adelia J. Duncan prior to their marriage here in 1895, and the son, Judge McDonald is survived by two grandchildren, True Elizabeth and John Carleton McDonald; a brother, Malcolm of Thamesville, Ont., and a sister, Miss Harriet McDonald of Dresden, Ont.

Dr. Lester A. Kilpatrick, pastor of First Methodist Church, with which Judge McDonald was affiliated and served for a time as trustee, presided at the service which were held at the resident.

Bearers included Dr. Leon DeVel, Howard V. Watson, Stephen M. Litscher, Dr. Leon C. Bosch, Lewis H. Withey,, and G. Douglas Clapperton. Honorary bearers included members of the county and state supreme court bench.

Judge McDonald became a member of the Peninsular Club in November, 1934. He also was affiliated with several Masonic bodies.

Dr. Irving D. Carpenter, 71, of Oakwood Manor, a practicing dentist in Grand Rapids from 1905 until his retirement in 1933, died Tuesday, July 8, in Blodgett Memorial Hospital, He had been ill several years.

A native of Eaton, N. Y., Dr. Carpenter attended high school in Battle Creek and in 1892 was graduated from the engineering department of the University of Michigan. During the next few years he was associated with Detroit Bridge & Iron Works, Detroit; American Bridge Works, Chicago; Elmira Bridge Co., Elmira, N. Y., and the Carnegie Steel Co., in Pittsburgh.

Returning to the University of Michigan in 1898 to study dentistry, Dr. Carpenter received his degree from this course in 1901. Since starting his practice in 1901 Dr. Carpenter had served at one time as president of the local dental society and was active in promoting dental work in the public schools.

He is survived by the widow, who before their marriage in 1907, was Miss Flora L. Carr, a teacher in the Grand Rapids public schools, and two cousins, Walter Carpenter and Miss Florence Carpenter, both of Kalamazoo.

Dr. Carpenter had been a member of the Peninsular Club since December,1933.


Roy E. Dennis-The death of Roy E. Dennis, widely known local lumberman, on Saturday night, May 9, removed from the club membership a most esteemed member and inflicted a sense of deep personal loss upon all who knew him.

Mr. Dennis, who had been in apparent good health, having recently returned from a Florida vacation, was stricken with a heart attack at his home on Madison Avenue.

Born at Shelby on Nov. 1, 1888, Mr. Dennis removed to Grand Rapids with his family. He attended Central High School and Hill School in the east before entering the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad. He also was employed by the American Brake Shoe Co., before entering business with his father, E.E. Dennis, pioneer Michigan lumberman who died four years ago.

Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Katherine Dennis, and his mother, Mrs. E.E. Dennis of this city.

In addition to his Peninsular Club affiliation, Mr. Dennis was a member of Grace Episcopal Church, various Masonic bodies, including the consistory and shrine, and numerous other organization.

Judge A. C. Denison-It was with deep regret that peninsular Club members received word of the recent death in Cleveland of Former Judge Arthur Carter Denison, distinguished jurist and an honorary member of the club.

Judge Denison was well known to most of the older members of the club, having been active in the club prior to his appointment by Former President William Howard Taft to the Sixth Circuit of the United States Circuit Court of Appeals in 1911, a year after the late former president had named him to the bench in the western district of Michigan here.

Judge Denison was born in Grand Rapids, Nov. 10, 1861, the son of Julius C. and Cornelia Carter Denison, pioneer residents. After graduation from the Grand Rapids high school in 1878 he received his bachelor of law degree at the University of Michigan in 1883. In 1916 the University of Michigan conferred upon him the degree of doctor of laws.

During his last seven years on the circuit bench, Judge Denison served as presiding magistrate and it is by his friends here that he would have been named to the United States Supreme Court had it not been for President Taft’s defeat. He resigned in 1932 after reaching the retirement age of 70, concluding 21 years on the circuit bench.

Calvin College named Judge Denison to the board investigating the charges made against the federal air service by the late Brig. Gen. William Mitchell.

Judge Denison is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Harland Collins of Cleveland, and two sons, John W. Denison, Chicago, and Donald G. Denison, Grand Rapids. Private services and burial were at Grand Rapids.



Three well known members of the Peninsular Club died during the past month and their passing is keenly felt by their many friends in the club.

Elmer L. Kinsey, one of the most active and well known members of the Peninsular Club, died Wednesday, Dec. 17 at Blodgett Memorial hospital following a brief illness.

Mr. Kinsey was president of the Alfred J. Brown Seed Co., with which he had been associated for 16 years. He was director of Winters & Crampton corporation and of the Oakwood Manor Co., of which he was president for nine years until two years ago.

Mr. Kinsey came to Grand Rapids from Fort Wayne, Ind., with his parents as a boy. He served as shipping clerk for Bissell Carpet Sweeper Co., in his early days and later became associated with his father in the S.T. Kinsey Shirt Co. He succeeded his father in the business in 1901. In 1931 he was joined in the business by his brother, John H. Kinsey, who purchased the controlling interest in 1936.

Mr. Kinsey also conducted a real estate and stock and bond business. Besides his Peninsular Club membership he was identified with the Elks and Masonic lodges.

He is survived by the widow, formerly Miss Glayds Walser, whom he married last Oct. 30, his brother, his mother, Mrs. Mary Kinsey; two sisters, Mrs. Lottie Harger and Mrs. Charles Phelps, all of Grand Rapids.

Harold C. Wilmarth, secretary of the W.B. Jarvis Co., suffered fatal injuries when his car crashed into a tree at Farmington while he was enroute to Detroit on business. Mr. Wilmarth was 48 years old and resided at 1700 Robinson Rd.

He had been an active member of the club for several years and his affiliation also included Blythefield Country Club and Carl A. Johnson Post, American Legion. He served in World War I, as a lieutenant in the 10th infantry.

Mr. Wilmarth started his business career in the Wilmarth Showcase Co., founded by his father, O. B. Wilmarth. Later he was an official of the Welsh-Wilmarth C., and continued with the Grand Rapids Showcase corporation following the merger of the former concern. At one time he was president of the Russ Manufacturing Co., of Cleveland. He had been secretary of the Jarvis Company for the past four years.

He is survived by his widow, Harriet; a daughter Sally; a son Harold Jr., of Marion, O., his father; a sister, Mrs. C. Harley Bertsch of Grand Rapids, and two brothers, Albert of Grand Rapids, and Donald G., of Elmhurst, Ill.


Minor Walton, president of the Minor Walton Bean Co., who died at his home, 1744 Alexander Ave., S.E. was prominent in business and club affairs in the city.

He was born at Shepherd 59 years ago and had been a resident of Grand Rapids since 1926 when he founded the firm here which bore his name. Previously he had been associated with Chatterson & Son Co., of Lansing for 15 years.

In addition to his Peninsular Club affiliation he was identified with the Rotary Club, several Masonic groups and Cascade Hills Country Club.

Besides the widow, Margaret, he is survived by a step-daughter, Barbara Eldred; his father, Fred Walton of Shepherd, and two sisters, Mrs. Florine White of Shepherd, and Mrs. Earl Mester of Royal Oak.


Thomas Peter Kain, president of Quimby-Kain Paper Co., which helped found here nearly quarter of a century ago, died unexpectedly at his home, 914 Giddings Ave., S.E. on Sunday, Dec..20, following an illness of a few hours.

He had been a member of the Club many years and had taken an active part in many activities of the Club where he had many friends and acquaintances.

He also was a member of the Lions Club, Knights of Columbus and St. Stephen’s Church. His hobby was athletics and he was an ardent bowler and golfer and held a membership in Cascade Hills Country Club.

A native of Coral, Mr. Kain received his early schooling there and in Jennings and Cadillac. As a young man he was associated with his father in the lumber business and later was a machine hand at American Seating Co. For ten years he was superintendent of Central Michigan Paper Co., and while there became acquainted with Irving E. Quimby with whom he and Miss Anna Kirkwood founded the Quimby-Kain Paper Co., in 1919. Six months later they were joined in their venture by Henry W. Walstrom.

At the time of his death Mr. Kain was president of the Michigan Fine Paper Dealer’s Association.

Mr. Kain is survived by the widow, Katherine; a son, Joseph L. Kain; a sister, Mrs. James C. Droste; and three grandchildren, Katherine Elizabeth, Margaret Ellen, and Patricia Ann Kain, all of Grand Rapids.

Francis N. Stalter, proprietor of the Stalter Edge Tool Co., passed away Monday, Jan. 4, in Butterworth Hospital following an illness of several months.

A native of Grand Rapids, Mr. Stalter was a member of the Peninsular Club, the Elks, and the Grandville post, American Legion. He took an active part in many of the Club events and was a regular user of the Club accommodations.

Besides the widow, Ruth, he leaves a son, Edward D., of Grand Rapids; a brother, George Sinclair of Detroit; and sister, Mrs. Bernard A Rocker of Ada.

Benno T. Schall, an executive of Corduroy Cord Rubber Co., and a well known member of the Peninsular Club, died following a heart attack at his home in Oakwood Manor on Sunday, Dec. 6, at the age of 61 years.

He had been a member of the Club for several years and used its various departments and services with considerable regularity.

Mr. Schall was an executive of a hardware and manufacturing company in St. Joseph, Mo., his native city, before coming here 19 years ago. For the past 13 years he had been secretary-treasurer of the Corduroy Rubber Co. He was a member of the Elk and National Credit Men’s Association .

He is survived by a sister, Lena Schall, of St. Joseph, Mo., and several nieces and nephews. Burial was in St. Joseph, Mo.


Henry Swanson, one of the active and well known members of the club, died at his home, 1918 Willard Ave., S.E., on Thursday afternoon, Feb. 11,. Mr. Swanson. An investment broker with Schouten, White and company, had been ill but a short time. He was 56 years old.

Mr. Swanson took an active part in many of the club affairs and well known most of the membership. He not only regularly used the clubs facilities and services but also was active in recent years on various committees, especially the membership committee, and in this capacity he obtained many new members for the club.

A native and life long resident of Grand Rapids, Mr. Swanson also was affiliated with York lodge, F.& A.M., De Witt Clinton consistory, Knights Templar, and Saladin Shrine, the Executive Sales club and the membership committee of the Chamber of Commerce.

He is survived by the widow, Lillian; two brothers, Arthur and George P. Swanson of Grand Rapids, and three sisters, Mrs. Anna Kapp of Oxnard, Calif.; Mrs. Nellie Saunders of Wauscon, O., and Mrs. Hulda Pagel of Petoskey.

Clarence I. Williams, died from a heart attack Friday night, Feb. 12, in his sleep. He had been in his usual health on retiring and his death was not discovered until Saturday morning.

Mr. Williams was 61 years old. He was born in Shelbyville, Mich., and had lived in this city for about 40 years. He had been engaged in the real estate business here for many years and was a member of the Grand Rapids real estate board. The family residence is at 312 Auburn Ave.., S.E.

Mr. Williams was a member of Malta lodge No. 465, F. & A.M., Saladin Temple Shrine, De Witt Clinton consistory, Royal Order of Jesters, the Spring Lake Country Club, Morrison Lake Club, and the Peninsular Club, in which he too, had been long been active.

He was also a member of Park Congregational church.

Mr. Williams is survived by his widow, Nina, two daughters, Betty and Ruth, of Grand Rapids, four sisters, Mrs. Eva Hutchison of Richmond, Cal., Mrs. Ethel Bates of Long Beach, Cal., Mrs. Betha Bodnar of Tompkins Cove, N.Y., Mrs. Lena Shoemaker of Grand Rapids and several nieces and nephews.


Frank Wiles-During the past month death came to a veteran member of the Peninsular Club, Frank Wiles, 68 year old master printer, who passed away Wednesday, February 17, at his home, 420 Lafayette Ave., S.E., following an illness of three months.

An ardent and loyal member, Mr. Wiles regularly used the club facilities and was a familiar figure in the billiard room where members respected his prowess with the cue.

Mr. Wiles came to Grand Rapids 20 years ago and for many years was superintendent of the printing plant of the Michigan Tradesman.

A native of Olathe, Kansas, formerly resided in Danville, Illinois, and Fowler, Indiana, where he served as chancellor of the Knights of Pythias.

In addition to his Peninsular Club membership he was affiliated with York Lodge, F.& A.M., the Scottish Rite, and Modern Woodmen of America.

Besides the widow, Caroline, he is survived by a son, Burl D.; a granddaughter, Jo Anne; a brother, Lawrence A. Wiles of Indianapolis; and two sisters, Mrs. Lois Gillespie of Fowler, Indiana, and Mrs. Effie Smith of Milford, Illinois.

Funeral services were held under auspices of York Lodge at Greenhoe’s chapel; with further services and burial in Fowler, Indiana.

Hugh J. Gray-The death on Tuesday, March 4, of Hugh J. Gray, 74, father of the tourist and resort industry in Michigan, was a source of regret and keen personal loss to his many friends and acquaintances in the Peninsular Club of which he had been a member for many years.

Mr. Gray, who resided at 36 Park Dr., S.E., died at Blodgett Memorial Hospital nearly a week following an operation for a kidney ailment.

Entering the resort industry through the railroad business, Mr. Gray was credited with initiating many ideas and developments which made Michigan one of the foremost tourist spots in the nation.

Among his accomplishments were origination of the method of state appropriations for the state tourist industry, sponsoring the establishment of the Manistee National Forest, and assisting in the development of the state park systems.

He survived by a daughter, Mrs. F. Hugh Utley; a son, Hugh H. Gray of New York, N.Y.; a granddaughter, Mrs. Thomas Hartigan of New York; a great granddaughter, Lee-Gray Hartigan; two sisters, Mrs. C. E. Linzee and Mrs. Louis Joy, both of Glendale, Calif., and three brothers, James of Glendale, and Noah of Berkeley, Calif., and Norris of Tempa, Fla.

Pallbearers include the following officers and executive committee members of the West Michigan Tourist & Resort Association: President, George V. Brandt; Past President, John Hekman, Lee Wilson Hutchins, Frank M. Sparks, B. G. Brown, and L. J. Thompson of Grand Rapids, and J. C. Beukema and A. E. McCrae of Muskegon, and W. J. McDonald of Petoskey.



Mark Norris 1857-1943-The death of Mark Norris, prominent Grand Rapids attorney and fraternal leader on May 31 at his home, 29 Prospect Ave., N.E., removed from the roster of the Peninsular Club the organization’s senior member.

Mr. Norris was the oldest member in point of years of continuous affiliation with the club and consequently held the No. 1 membership card.

Mr. Norris joined the Peninsular club in 1882 the year after it was founded. He had maintained his loyal affiliation with the organization continuously since covering a period of 61 years.

Until recent years when he gave up many of his former interests, Mr. Norris was an active member of the club regularly using its various services. A quiet, dignified and unassuming figure, Mr. Norris was a great reader and regularly found much of interest in the club’s reading room.

He had a wide acquaintance among members of the club who regard his passing as a distinct loss to the organization.


Robert R. Drake-Mr. Drake, service manager of Corduroy Rubber Company, for 17 years, died Friday evening, Dec.8 in Butterworth hospital following a brief illness. He was 68 years old.

He was dean of the tire industry. He had been in the rubber business for 42 years and was associated with nationally known rubber companies before joining the local firm. He formerly lived in New York and for many years was a member of the New York Athletic club.

He is survived by the widow, Mrs. Louise A. Drake, and a sister, Mrs. Mabel L’Hommedeau of Brunswick, N.J.

Earl W. Munshaw-Death came unexpectedly for State Senator Earl W. Munshaw, one of the most popular legislators ever sent from Grand Rapids to the state legislature, at his summer home on Kalamazoo Rd., S.E., on Saturday, Dec. 9. His body was found in the garage by a friend. Death was attributed to monoxide poisoning.

Mr. Munshaw established an unusual record in the state senate, having served as Republican floor leader during his last two terms and also having served several terms as chairman of the important state affairs committee. He also had served on the committees on banks, reapportionment, insurance, judiciary, public health and apportionments.

Elected to the senate from the 16th district in 1932, Mr. Munshaw was re-elected five consecutive times but declined to run for re-election last fall.

A native of Grand Rapids, Mr. Munshaw attended Central high school; here and later the Ann Arbor high school from which he was graduated. After being graduated from law school at the University of Michigan in 1910, he launched his legal career by becoming assistant prosecutor under Circuit Judge William B. Brown, then prosecuting attorney. He later served two terms as Kent County prosecutor from 1925 to 1929.

He had been active member of the club for many years. He also was affiliated with various Masonic groups, the Schubert club, and the local, state, and national bar associations. He also was a trustee of First Methodist church.

Mr. Munshaw was married in 1908 to Merry E. Morgan, who survives him. He also leaves a daughter, Mrs. Milton Johnson,. and a son, Cpl. Lynn Munshaw of Camp Lee, Va.

Funeral rites were held at First Methodist church with several members of the club acting as pallbearers.

Closson Lyman Lockwood, 65, local manager of the brokerage office of Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Beane, was injured fatally early Sunday morning, Dec. 10 and died in Butterworth hospital. He was riding in an auto driven by Walter Idema which was involved in a collision with another car on Lake Dr., and Eastern Ave., S.E.

Mrs. Lockwood also was injured in the accident. Other were Mrs. Idema and Mr. and Mrs. George C. Thomson. Mr. Lockwood was thrown to the pavement by the impact of the crash.

Mr. Lockwood was a native of Grand Rapids, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Claude Lockwood. He attended Central high school and the University of Michigan. In 1909 he was married to Katherine Pantlind.

He had been a member of the peninsular club for many years. Surviving are the widow, two daughters, Mrs. George Kranenberg of Grand Rapids and Mrs. Nelson Vaughn of Pottstown, Pa., and a granddaughter, Katherine Vaughn.

Herman W. MacPhail, 64, Grand Rapids broker, who died at his home in Oakwood Manor, had been ill since April, 1942, when he was stricken while visiting in Florida with his brother, Lt. Col. Lawrence S.(Larry) MacPhail, formerly head of the Brooklyn National League baseball team, and his father, who died in 1938, Mr. MacPhail had operated the MacPhail Investment Company here. In addition to the Peninsular club he was affiliated with Saladin templer, and the Rotary club.

Besides the widow, he is survived by a son, Chief Warrant Officer Norman C. MacPhail, and a granddaughter, Heather, in Coeur d’Alene, Ida.

Harry Bylenga, vice president of Star Transfer Company and one of the leaders in the transportation industry in the middle west, was killed on Tuesday, morning, Dec. 3, when his car was struck by a passenger train at the Madison Ave., crossing.

Born in Grand Rapids 46 years ago, Mr. Bylenga entered the trucking business with his father, Cornelius, Sr., and four brothers, Andrew, Peter, Cornelius, Jr., and Edward, in 1916 when they acquired the Star Baggage Company.

The firm expanded rapidly and the Bylenga family later obtained control of the Interstate Motor Freight system, one of the largest freight carriers in the middle west, of which Mr. Bylenga was president and later chairman.

Mr. Bylenga had been a member of the club in recent years. He also was affiliated with the Lions club, Malta lodge, and Cascade Country club. He was a director of the Union Bank of Michigan.

Besides the widow, who formerly was Miss Hazel Purdy, he is survived by two sons, Robert and William, and a daughter, Nancy; his father, two brothers, Cornelius, Jr., and Edward in Veterans’ hospital, Battle Creek, and two sisters, Mrs. Neal Ver Wys, and Mrs. A.H. Koning, both of Grand Rapids.

Clarence S. Monson, 49, Peninsular club steward for the past 23 years died Wednesday, Dec 20 in St. Mary’s hospital following an illness of six months. He was the second member of the club staff to die within the month.

A native of Big Rapids, Mr. Monson had resided in Grand Rapids for 25 years. He was a veteran of World War I and was a member of Carl A. Johnson post, No. 2, American Legion, and of the Elks.

He is survived by the widow, Leone I., his mother, Mrs. Bede Monson and three brothers of Cadillac. Burial was at Maple Hill cemetery, Cadillac.



T. Herschel Brown-Mr. Brown, president of A.J. Brown & Sons, Inc., wholesale seed firm, died Thursday, June 21, in St. Joseph’s hospital, Ann Arbor, from injuries sustained a week previously when he was struck by a truck near Ann Arbor. Mr. Brown who was 55 years old, resided at 238 Paris Ave., S.E. He had been affiliated with the Peninsular club since 1933.

Mr. Brown had been at Mercywood sanitarium, Ann Arbor for a rest. While driving near the city on Thursday, June 14, his car stalled and he attempted to flag a truck. He was run down and suffered injuries which resulted in his death a week later.

Mr. Brown’s survivors included his mother, Mrs. Alfred J. Brown, with whom he made his home; a daughter, Mrs. Charles W. Walker, and a granddaughter, Tomelyn Walker of Grand Rapids, and a brother, Robert Brown of Detroit.

Funeral services were held Saturday, June 23, at the Metcalf mortuary chapel, Dr. Duncan E. Littlefair, pastor of Fountain Street Baptist church, officiating. Interment was in Oak Hill cemetery.


Alfred Day Rathbone, III, of Oakwood Manor passed away Monday, July 2, at Butterworth hospital following an illness of a week. Christian Science services were held Tuesday afternoon, July 3, at the Metcalf mortuary chapel. Bearers include James L. Shuster, Richard Shuster, John D. Hibbard, Harold T. Fletcher, Ted Booth and Orson Sawyer. Interment was in Oak Hill cemetery.

Mr. Rathbone was born in Grand Rapids on Oct. 5, 1868. He attended Central high school, Grand Rapids, and was graduated from the University of Michigan with the class of 1892. He was a member of Sigma Phi fraternity.

Upon leaving the University he became secretary of the Alabastine company of which his father, A. D. Rathbone, II, was president. Later he left the company to become an official in the Grand Rapids Marble and Fireplace company. He gave up this connection about 15 years ago to assist in the management of the estate of his grandfather, A.D. Rathbone, with offices in the Michigan Trust building.

Mr. Rathbone had been a member of the Peninsular club since Jan. 27, 1904. He is survived by his widow, the former Miss Jessie Ball; a son, A. D. Rathbone, IV, of Chappaqua, N.Y.; two daughters, Mrs. George Lundberg of Lansing and Mrs. Polly R. Booth of San Diego, Calif., and six grandchildren.


Sanford P. Wilcox-Mr. Wilcox, vice president of Old Kent Bank, died unexpectedly on Wednesday, July 4th, at the family’s summer home at Castle Park south of Holland.

Active in business and social affairs here for many years, Mr. Wilcox had been identified with the Peninsular club since May 1, 1943. He was a board member of the D. A. Blodgett Home for Children, a member of the finance committee of the YMAC for several years, and belonged to the Rotary club, University club, Kent County club, and the Triangle club.

Mr. Wilcox, who resided at 2000 Lake Dr., S.E., was born in Grand Rapids July 19, 1891 and lived here all his life. He was graduated from Amherst college in 1913 and from Harvard business college in 1915. He was affiliated with Phi Delta Theta fraternity at Amherst.

During World War I , Mr. Wilcox served as a member of an overseas army medical corps. He became associated with the Old National Bank in 1925 and continued with the Old Kent Bank which grew out of a merger of the Old National Bank and the Kent State Bank in 1929. He was made a vice president in 1934. In 1941 he was elected a vice president of Mutual Home Federal Savings and Loan association of which he became a director in 1934.

Besides the widow, Mrs. Gertrude Fitzgerald Wilcox, he is survived by three daughters, the Misses Barbara Hill Wilcox, Rosemary Wilcox and Patricia Potter Wilcox; his mother, Mrs. Caroline B. Wilcox, and two sisters, Miss Louise Wilcox and Mrs. Gaius V. Perkins, all of Grand Rapids, and a brother, Raymond H. Wilcox of Tucson, Arizona.

Transcriber: Barb Jones
Created: 29 May 2009 - 12 December 2009