Obituary of John Waddell
John Waddell, Manufacturer, Sportsman, Dies
Veteran of Furniture Business Founded Plant Here in 1879
Member of DeMolai
Identified with Westminster Church
(Grand Rapids Press, 26 September, 1923)
Funeral to be Saturday
John Waddell, lover of the silent places, a devotee to the rod, knowing in the ways of bird, and beast, a true sportsman and a true friend, died Wednesday morning at this home, 316 Union Avenue, S.E., following an illness of many months.
Funeral services will be held Saturday at 2:30 at the residence under Knights Templar auspices, Rev. W. S. Hess officiating. The body will be placed in a vault.
John Waddell was born 27 June 1850 near Sarnia, Ontario, and came here as a young man. In June, 1879, he founded what now is the Waddell Manufacturing Co. for the manufacture of wood ornaments and other specialties used in the manufacture of furniture. He continued at the head of the enterprise.
Many of the intricate machines used in producing new effects in moldings and ornaments were of Mr. Waddell’s invention. At the factory he had his own little shop where he spent many hours studying out intricate problems in what cams and cogs could be made to do.
It was as a sportsman that Mr. Waddell was best known outside of his business. He was fond of fishing and hunting. His fishing haunts were at Baldwin, the Fred N. Rowe camp and the Stickley camp, but he was known wherever true sportsmen gathered.
Mr. Waddell was a member of the Furniture City Manufacturer’s association, DeWitt Clinton consistory, DeMolai commandery, Saladin temple and past chancellor of Grand Rapids lodge, Knights of Pythias. He belonged to the Peninsular and Masonic Country clubs and the Old Settlers’ association. His church affiliations were with Westminster Presbyterian.
Mr. Waddell was married in 1872 to Miss Anna Jones of Bradford, Ontario. Besides the widow he leaves a daughter, Mrs. Anna Lottie of Chicago. Other relatives are William H. Waddell of Montgomery, Ala., and David Waddell of Port Sarnia, brothers, and Mrs. Matilda Brown and Mrs. Hanna Gates of Port Sarnia, sisters.
Created: 04 February 2008