James Ferguson, M. D.
James Ferguson, MD, "Dr. Jim", died in his home in Austell, Georgia on Sunday, February 6, 2005. Born in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1915 to Ethyl and Ward Ferguson, Jim was one of four children. He graduated from South High School, attended Grand Rapids Junior College, and completed his undergraduate work and medical degree at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He finished his residencies in Lexington, KY and on June 25, 1940 he married Peggy Bevan in Elkhart, Indiana. Returning to Grand Rapids, Michigan in July 1941, Jim was made the first partner of Ferguson Droste-Ferguson Clinic, however, his tenure was interrupted by his induction into the Medical Battalion of the Army Air Force in 1942. Returning to Ann Arbor from World War II overseas duty in 1945, Dr. Jim renewed and expanded his certifications in colon and rectal surgery. In 1952 he established his place as President of the Ferguson Droste-Ferguson Clinic, which was later changed to Ferguson Clinic. His passion and commitment to his patients was renowned and his career was dominated by special awards, certifications and innovations in the field of colon and rectal surgery. To this day, his papers and teachings are a source of standard for the field. Dr. Jim retired from the Ferguson Clinic in 1978 and maintained a residence in Fort Myers, Florida until a move in 1995 to Austell, Georgia. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Peggy; his children Bevany and Bill Farmer, Margaret and Nick Booras, Jim and Nancy Ferguson; and his sister, Phyllis Lampman. The family, which includes nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, ask that memorial and gifts be extended to the Grand Rapids Salvation Army, 72 Sheldon Blvd., Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, or Grand Rapids Community College Foundation, 143 Bostwick NE, Grand Rapids Michigan, 49503, in Dr. James Fergusonís memory.
(Grand Rapids Press, Sunday, 13 Feb 2005, Section B-7)
Transcriber: Evelyn Sawyer
Created: 17 February 2005