Campau Descendant, Mrs. Copland, Dies
FATHER OWNED BELLE ISLE
Mrs. Alexander W. Copland, 89, whose father owned Belle Isle, died Saturday in her home. A member of the Campau family, Detroit residents since 1708, she lived at 61 Moran, Grosse Pointe Farms.
Mrs. Copland was the youngest of the nine children of Eliza Throop and Alexander Macomb Campau. Through her father's family she was related to the Navarres, the MacDougalls, the Macombs and other historic Detroit families.
Her early schooling was in the first German-American kindergarten in the Midwest - a school built by friends of Carl Schurz on Fort near Riopelle. She later attended St. Agnes School in Albany, N. Y.
Mrs. Copland's father inherited Belle Isle - then Hog Island - from his father, Barnabe Campau. He bought our interests of co-heirs, the Macomb family, in 1817 and established fisheries on the island. He sold the island to the City in 1879.
In 1913, she married Alexander W. Copland, auto manufacturer. They moved to Strawberry Hill Farm, Bloomfield Hills. After his death in 1928, Mrs. Copland and her daughter, Suzanne, moved to Detroit and later to Grosse Pointe Farms.
Surviving are the daughter, Suzanne, and eight nieces. The nieces are: Mrs. Kirkland B. Alexander and Mrs. Gaylord W. Gillis of Grosse Pointe; Mrs. Frederick D. Johnson and Mrs. Lucian S. Moore, of LaJolla, Calif.; Countess Alexandre Leslie Vergennes Lavalle, of Gloucester County, Va.; Mrs. Albert P. Gerhard and Mrs. Stephen C. Rowan, of Philadelphia, and Mrs. Cresswell Garlington, of Savannah, Ga.
Services will be held at noon Tuesday in Old Christ Church, Detroit, the church attended by four generations of Mrs. Copland's family.
Officiating will be the Rev. Erville E. Maynard and the Rev. William B. Sperry.
Cremation will follow.
Created: 24 Feb 2011