AN EVENTFUL LIFETIME.
HISTORY OF THE "EAGLE" FROM ITS BIRTH TO THE PRESENT DAY
A Story of Singular, Fortunes and Remarkable Events,
Covering the Grandest Period in American Annals, and Full of Important Memories.
Grand Rapids was as remarkable for its rapid growth in its early infancy as it is now. The first white man to live here--Louis Campau--came as an Indian trader in 1827. The first genuine immigrant-Luther Lincoln-settled here in 1832. In 1837-only five years after the first newspaper appeared, named the, Grand Rapids Times. The first number of this pioneer newspaper, a small but respectable appearing weekly, was published April 18, 1837. It was edited by George W. Pattison, assisted by Noble H. Finney. The first impression was printed on a yard of white cotton sheeting, and presented to Louis Campau, the pioneer white settler, in the presence of a gathering of citizens. The type and press for this paper were purchased at Buffalo by Judge Almy, one of the leading early settlers, and shipped to Grand Haven from Detroit on the steamboat Don Quixote, which was wrecked off Thunder Bay, near where the city of Alpena now is. Thence the precious freight was rescued and carried on a schooner to Grand Haven. From there it was drawn on a sled on the ice up the river to Grand Rapids. The press, on being unloaded from the sleigh, broke through the ice, and went to the river bottom, being fished out several days later. John Barnes, then a young settler, cleaned, dried and put it together. It was one of the old style Washington hand presses.
The Times was published with some irregularity as a weekly until 1841. Not long after its inauguration it become the property of James H. Morse. It was neutral in politics in a queer way. That is, certain of its columns were permitted to be used equally by Democrats and Whigs. Charles H. Taylor, C. I. Walker, Simeon M. Johnson and S. Granger were the principal Democratic writes, and George Martin, E. B. Bostwick, Wm. G. Henry and T. W. Higginson were the most frequent Whig contributors.
In 1841 the Times died. The same year the Enquirer was started by Morse & Johnson. This paper was ostensibly neutral until 1843, when E. D. Burr became principal owner of its material, and changed the character of the paper to a Democratic organ of the John C. Calhoun stripe of Democracy. In 1844, it came out for Polk for president.
BIRTH OF THE EAGLE
This defection from neutrality on the part of the pioneer paper of Grand Rapids, left the Whigs without an organ or public voice, and created so much dissatisfaction that, in 1844, the Eagle was started by Aaron B. Turner, who had served his apprenticeship in the newspaper business on the old Times. Its initial number was published on December 25 (Christmas), 1844. From the first Mr. Turner was the controlling editor and manager of the paper, as he still is; but he received valuable editorial assistance from the most eminent Whig and afterward Republican leaders of Grand Rapids and western Michigan, including such famous names as George Martin, afterward the first chief justice of the supreme court of Michigan, and one of the most eminent of the great jurists who have made the continent; E. B. Bostwick, one of the most public spirited and widely honored of the early pioneers; and Wm. G. Henry, then proprietor of the pioneer drug store of Grand Rapids, and now living at a venerable age in Detroit, the father-in-law of Gen. R. A. Alger.
HISTORY OF THE EAGLE.
For some years the Eagle had a hard struggle for existence, and was kept alive by the persistent grit of its founder. It was issued weekly, except at intervals when brief suspensions were made necessary by a lack of money with which to purchase paper and ink. From 1845 to 1848, George Martin and Haley F. Barstow were regularly upon its editorial staff. In 1855 Albert Baxter became a member of the editorial and business staff. The paper was at first named the Grand River Eagle; but, in 1852, its title was changed to Grand Rapids Eagle, under which name it still continues. On May 26, 1856, it had become so thoroughly established that it was issued as a daily, with Albert Baxter as assistant in the editorial and business offices. In 1857, C. C. Sexton was given the position of city editor. In 1860, L. J. Bates was engaged as political and literary writer and assistant editor to Mr. Turner, which position he retained through the war and until the fall of 1865, when he took a position elsewhere, and was succeeded by Albert Baxter, who remained until July, 1887, when he retired and was succeeded by Mr. T. M. Carpenter, who had been employed upon the staff in various capacities for some time.
C. C. Sexton retired in 1865, and was followed as city editor by Robert Wilson, G. Wickwire Smith, J. D. Dillenback, Frank Godfrey and Ernest B. Fisher successively. The latter still continues to hold that position, which he took in June, 1871.
Mr. Turner has had, at times several partners in the business as publisher. In 1848 he was associated with James Seribuer, one of the most noted of the early pioneer daguerreotypists; in 1851-2 with his father, Isaac Turner, the wildly known and universally respected pioneer millwright. In 1865 Eli F. Harrington obtained an interest in the business, which he held for several years, when he sold to F.H. Smith. Shortly afterward, however, he re-purchased from Mr. Smith, and remained a partner until 1885, when he finally sold to F. S. Milmine. E. B. Fisher bought an interest from Mr. Turner in 1882, which he yet holds in the present company.
J. P. Thompson became news editor in 1872. He was succeeded by Alpha Child, who resigned in 1881 to take the office of clerk of the board of police and fire commissioners, being succeeded on the editorial staff by F. Homer Hosford. On the 15th of July, 1888, a stock company was formed, under the title of the A.B. Turner Company, which still remains unchanged. The following is the present organization.
EDITORIAL STAFF OF THE EAGLE.
The present editorial and business staff of the Eagle are:
Hon. A. B. Turner, editor-in-chief and principal proprietor.
T. M. Carpenter, political editor.
E. B. Fisher, city editor
W. S. Turner, news editor
Reporters-Geo. A. McIntyre and Lewis D. Cutcheon.
Proof Reader-Mrs. Frances C. Wood.
Business manager-F. S. Milmine.
Bookkeeper-Charles E. Davis.
Assistant Bookkeeper-Miss Frances C. Wood.
City Circulators-L. D. Steward, G. B. Clark.
Traveling Agent-Frank W. Leonard.
Solicitor of Advertising-C. A. Brakeman.
Foreman of Composing Room-John B. Greenway.
Superintendent of Press Room-Paul J. Schindler.
THE A. B. TURNER COMPANY
President-A. B. Turner.
Vice-President-E. B. Fisher.
Secretary-W. S. Turner.
Treasurer-F. S. Milmine.
A REMARKABLE PERIOD
The history of the Eagle embraces a period of nearly half century, and the most remarkable epoch of America and the civilized world. It is a period brilliant with the highest achievements of arts and arms, of wonderful political revolution and evolution, of the most eventful victories of war and peace; in fact forty-five years of continuous and almost unexampled renown, marked, with the greatest and grandest inventions which have elevated mankind, and the vast and wonderful political change that has made the United States the freest, richest and most powerful nation of the earth. Empires have fallen and been created; nations have waned and waxed; and that grand principle of the solidarity or oneness of peoples, which has become the foundation of all the strong modern nationalities, has had its birth and development within these glowing years.
The Eagle had the fortune to be born amid the first throes of that mighty time, big with huge epoch and magnificent event, when the American people first, and the civilized world after them, seemed to be just waking up to the prophetic tremor of the earthquake future that was about to boom upon the world. It was before the war with Mexico. The United States were then bounded on the west by Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. California and all the mighty West were then unknown and undreamed of. Slavery and the South were the dominant powers of this continent. The irrepressible conflict was just beginning, so faintly that its importance and destiny were as yet un-discerned.
The Eagle took its first steps and made its first political enlistment upon the side of freedom. Its first number, in 1844, regretted the election of James K. Polk, who was made president expressly for the aggrandizement of the slave power of the South. It deprecated the policy of the war with Mexico which followed in pursuance of that southern ambition, while it loyally sustained the American arms. In 1848 it supported Gen. Taylor for president, and in 1852 Gen. Scott, while regretting part of the Whig platform as too timid against slavery. After the election of 1852, it announced itself "An Independent Democratic Journal," urging the formation of a new party squarely opposed to the extension of slavery. Its course aided to cause the formation of the Republican party, which was born under the oaks at Jackson in 1854, and that party has received its loyal support ever since. In the Fremont campaign of 1856 the Eagle performed zealous service for the cause and party of freedom; and although that election resulted in a national defeat, it saw in the immense gains made in the northern states the clear promise of future triumph.
In 1860 most of the state was in favor of the nomination of William H. Seward for president. But the instant the nomination of Abraham Lincoln was achieved the Eagle opened the campaign in his behalf with an exultant enthusiasm and vigorous expectation of victory scarcely to be understood in these later and cooler days of comparative political lassitude. Its editor and its whole staff were "Wide Awakes" in that memorable struggle, and the paper was kept glowing like a political torch. Grand Rapids turned out the largest, best drilled, and finest appearing body of Wide Awakes in the state in proportion to her population at that time, and was one of the recognized leading centers of Republican party influence and power in the state. A strong spirit of patriotism was a marked characteristic of the party and the people of this section of the state, and was reflected in the Eagle. The Republicans of western Michigan looked upon the gathering storm which followed that election with a firmness which objected to any compromise or wavering of purpose. Consequently, in 1861, when Fort Sumter was fired upon and a call to arms was sounded- and also partly because a military organization had been kept alive in the city-the Third regiment of Michigan infantry, from Grand Rapids and vicinity, had the honor of being among the very first volunteers from Michigan in the field. The departure of that regiment for the front at the D. G. H. & M. depot, June 13, 1861, was one of the most memorable scenes in the history of Grand Rapids. A great assembly of friends and relatives gathered at the depot to see our first soldiers of freedom off, and almost every person present was affected to sobs and tears, especially the women. But, alas! How soon such partings grew familiar, and custom helped to bear them better.
THROUGHOUT THE WAR
The Eagle continued to represent the unflinching patriotism and firm Republicanism of the Grand River valley people. Its bulletin board was every day the center of an anxious throng, and many pathetic and many amusing scenes occurred there. Often the announcement of the loss in battle of some of our heroes awakened a sudden sobbing among the spectators; and now and then the announcement of victories of the Union armies started half frantic cheering or set the whole body of citizens to singing the chorus of the "Star Spangled Banner," or else the more solemn and not less fervent doxology, "Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow." In all that wild time, the wildest day of all was that which brought the news of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. The people of today cannot understand the strong personal affection which had entwined itself about the war president from the hearts of those who had sacrificed and suffered grievous losses for the Union cause. The city had been illuminated for the fall of Richmond, and the ornaments were still upon many of the buildings when the news of the assassination came like a sudden palsy of terror and despair. The counsel of the Eagle on that portentous day helped to turn the current of feeling from fury and apprehension to pity and hope, and was long preserved in many families as a souvenir of that dark and terrible episode.
To write the history of the Eagle during the war and reconstruction period and since, would be to recapitulate the political history of all those years. It is sufficient to remark that each year brought successive triumphs to the cause it advocated and the policy it had argued from its birth. The acquisition and development of California; the peopling of the great West; the salvation of the triumph of liberty; the rise and renown of the true soldiers of freedom, and the decline of those political warriors who tried to damn treason with only feeble wounds; the elections and administrations of Grant, Hayes, Garfield and Arthur; the growth of the national credit and the return of specie payments; the adoption of the constitutional amendments; the election of Harrison and the defeat of Cleveland; in fact, all the glorious successes of the country and the and the Republican party were triumphs in which it has shared both the struggles and the victories.
Early on the morning of Jan. 8, 1864, the Eagle office, then in its present location, was destroyed by fire; but within a few weeks it was running again regularly with a complete new outfit.
NOW AND THEN
In 1844, when the Eagle was born, the United States did not include Texas, which was then an independent nation, the act of annexation to the United States not passing congress until Dec. 27, 1845, after the Eagle had been published for more than a year, the policy of admitting Texas to the Union being its first political question, and her final admission not occurring until Feb. 19, 1846. Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin then constituted the West; Missouri was the frontier; Arkansas was mostly wild and unsettled; and all of that magnificent domain between the Mississippi river and the Pacific ocean-including California and Nevada, which were then Mexico territory-were an unknown wilderness, supposed to be mostly a worthless and uninhabitable desert. The United States had no national credit and no national money except a limited supply of coin; and a large part of its coin was the silver dollars, shillings and sixpence of Mexico and the West Indies. The paper money was mainly "wild cat" state currency, of no stable value. Manufactures were in their infancy, and the whole nation was largely provincial and pioneer in character.
In Europe the situation was similarly crude. The continent was divided among artificial despotisms, imposed upon unwilling people by armed power. Italy was divided between the Pontifical states, upheld by French bayonets, and Austrian provinces. There was no Germany, but a jumble of broken, petty and wrangling little kingdoms and provinces. Russia was an autocratic and little known barbarism. The empires of Austria Hungary, Germany, Russia as we now know her, the British empire, the Republic of Frances, and the Kingdom of Italy, have all been created since that time.
Canada was a wilderness. The Dominion was then undreamed of. Mexico was a turbulent, poverty stricken neighbor, subject to frequent revolutions and still more frequent insurrections. In the United States "cotton was king" and slavery was political lord dominant.
LANDMARKS OF PROGRESS.
In the world of industry, science and invention, the awakening that has created modern civilization was strongly beginning. The vast railway development of the United States was making its first vigorous strides in the eastern states, there being only about 4,500 miles of railway on this continent. The daguerreotype was first revealed to the world by Daguerre in 1839, and photographs on paper followed several years later. The first Daguerreotype shown in Grand Rapids, and one of the early ones taken in America, ever seen was a portrait of Simeon M. Johnson, taken in New York about 1842, and brought here. It was so imperfect the picture could only be seen when held at a certain angle to the light. The first artist who opened a successful room and took pictures in Grand Rapids was Lorenzo Buel, who took up the business about 1850. O. W. Horton soon followed with another successful gallery.
The sewing machine was patented by Elias Howe in 1846, and it was ten years later before this great invention became widely known and popular.
In 1844, the year the Eagle was born,. Professor Morse opened the first telegraph line between Baltimore and Washington. It was not until 1856 that the telegraph was made use of here. In that year, during the Fremont presidential campaign, the Daily Eagle obtained daily telegraphic news at Kalamazoo, and had the dispatches sent to it by stage from that village. On July 13, 1858, the first train over the D., G. H. & M. road reached Grand Rapids, and a telegraph station was opened in the city.
Bell’s telephone was first exhibited in 1876, and was rapidly perfected so as to come into general use. The first telephone exchange was opened in Grand Rapids on June 1, 1879. The telephone exchange with Grand Haven, Muskegon, and intermediate points was opened in September, 1881.
Electric street lighting, another great modern improvement, was formally opened in Grand Rapids on June 18, 1881. The gas company began operations in 1857, Kerosene oil lamps, Kier’s patent, were introduced in Pittsburg in 1850, and used to burn oil obtained in small quantities from a salt well. But it was not until 1859 that the first oil well was bored at Titusville, and the oil excitement followed. By that time the lamps had been improved and exhibited in various parts of the country, and thus a market was prepared for kerosene oil. Previous to that whale oil, lard oil, tallow and was candle, and lastly camphene, distilled from turpentine, were generally used for lighting. All these lights were feeble and expensive, and camphene was dangerous. Even after the discovery of petroleum oil wells, for several years paraffin candles made from its products were much used. In 1850 the Kier kerosene lamp was offered for sale in Grand Rapids, with oil to burn in it. Though but a feeble light as compared with the poorest now in use, it then astonished everybody by its brilliancy. The opening of the oil wells was soon followed by improved lamps, and the wonderful revolution in lighting made by petroleum oil swept over the country and the world.
Thus during its life of forty-five years the Eagle has seen and been a part of the growth of Grand Rapids from a small and poor pioneer village to a great and rich city; the growth of the state in an equally astonishing degree; the development of the nation beyond any example in human history; its revolution from slavery to freedom, and its changes from poverty by any other people or in any other time, from weakness to colossal power, its settled area doubled, its territory immensely increased by conquest and annexation; it has passed through and recorded two of the greatest wars in human history, and several others great in their results; it has witnessed the development of five mighty empires and kingdoms and the rise of the first large European republic; it has experienced the grandest changes, discoveries and inventions in science, art, arms, government, and even in religion; and it has published the first news of many of the highest marvels of human achievement. Its forty-five annual volumes contain a minute and wonderful history of the city, the state, the nation and the world for almost half a century of the most marvelous epoch in the annals of mankind-a record that for fullness of detail exceeds all the tomes of historical libraries.
The epoch seems about to close. Of all the great political issues that divided parties and swayed the destinies of the Republic when the Eagle was born, but a single one remains still undecided-the tariff question of protection vs. free trade. Upon that issue the Eagle still holds the faith in which it began, and has consistently advocated, all these years, the American policy of protection to our home industries, in opposition to the British policy of free trade. At its birth, that was chief economic issue that distinguished the Whigs from the Democrats, as it is now the large economic question that separation the Republicans from the Democrats. Semper fidelis. One more political victory, and the veteran founder and chief of the Eagle can lay aside the labor of a life time with the exultant summary of "Finished." All the political hopes of the youth of the paper, and all the great political policies that it has supported from the beginning until now will have been triumphantly accomplished.
EDITIONS OF THE EAGLE.
The Grand Rapids Eagle is published daily, weekly and Sunday-each a separate and complete paper, with its own manager and staff of editors. The daily appears in two hourly editors each week day afternoon at 3 and 4 o’clock; weekly on Thursday morning; and the Sunday Morning Eagle at daylight every Sunday morning. The daily, the weekly and the Sunday Eagle each has its own particular body of subscribers and readers, its own advertising business and rates; and each does a distinct and independent business.
THE CITY PRESS IN GENERAL
In 1841, the Grand Rapids weekly Enquirer was begun by Morse & Johnson. In 1843 E. D. Burr became a partner. In 1845 Mr. Morse died and Jacob Barns took possession for the widow. In 1846 he became publisher.
In 1855 A. E. Gordon started the Daily Herald-the first daily of Grand Rapids. In 1856 the Enquirer under Taylor & Barns, issued a daily. The Enquirer was closed under a mortgage held by H. P. Yale, was resurrected by N. D. Titus, and finally died in 1865.
In May, 1857, the Enquirer and Herald were consolidated and published by Gordon & Thompson.
In 1857 Thompson & Benedict started the Press, semi-weekly.
In September, 1865, M. H. Clark & Co. started the Democrat, which is now the leading Democratic Journal of the city.
The Great Western Journal was published in 1857-8 by Thomas D. Worrall, when it died.
The Daily Times was started by C. C. Sexton in 1870, and lived until 1886.
The Saturday Evening Post was begun in 1873, by D. N. Foster. It lived for some time.
The Evening Leader was established in February, 1879, by a stock company. It is at present one of the leading dailies of the city.
The Michigan Staata Zeitung was first in issued Dec. 5, 1874, by William Eichelsdorfer. In 1877 he began the Sonntagsblatt, as a Sunday addition to the Zeitung.
Van Strien & Schram began De Staandard on Jan. 28, 1875.
The Vrijheids Banier was first issued in 1868 by Mr. Van Der Haar. In 1871 it was purchased by James Van Der Sluls. The Telegram first appeared on Sept. 30, 1884, published by Harford & McDowell. Jan. 31, 1885, the firm was succeeded by the Telegram Stock company. The Herald was first published by Lloyd Brezee in May, 1885. The first issue of the Daily Telegram Herald appeared on April 17, 1886, by the Telegram Herald company.
The Workman was begun by I. S. Dygert in May, 1883. Its present proprietors are Mills & Willahan.
The Michigan Tradesman was first published by E. A. Stowe & Bro. on Sept. 26, 1883. The same firm began The Dairyman in February, 1886.
The Saturday Telegram was first issued in Grand Rapids, by E. S. Crawford on June 7, 1889.
The Herald and Hall was first issued by Carpenter & Adams in November, 1884.
The Germania made its first appearance on Sept. 6, 1882, Martin & Warzburg publishers. The Sonmtagsblatt was issued by the same firm May 14, 1887.
The West Side News, weekly, was begun by John G. Lee in March, 1886.
Hobbies was started Jan. 10, 1889, and has recently changed owners. M. A. True and F. D. Hopkins are the present publishers. On Nov. 22 its name was changed to Town News.
The Michigan Artisan was started in June, 1880, as a representative of the local furniture manufacturing houses. The initial number contained but sixteen pages, but its columns were early sought by houses engaged in the production of furniture at other points, and it grew in size rapidly. Its issues at present contain from seventy-five to 100 pages, and its circulation extends to every nook and corner of the continent. It is - by the Michigan Artisan Company, which succeeded the founder, A. S. White, on Nov. 20, 1889. Ernest B. Fisher is president and Will H. Loomis secretary of the Artisan company.
There have been and now are various other journalistic enterprises in the city, including a number of religious professional and business jouirnals and those devoted to various specialties.
THE LEARNED PROFESSIONS.
High Standing of Grand Rapids lawyers
From the earliest settlement Grand Rapids has been noted for the talent and high reputation of its bar. In fact the very early settlers included a number of lawyers who afterward achieved high distinction. The very first term of Circuit Court was opened by Judge Epaphroditus Ransom, in 1837-a name illustrious in Michigan history. Two of the first lawyers of the place were George Martin, afterward Michigan’s first and most distinguished chief justice, and Thomas B. Church. Among the early settlers were Solomon L. Withey, afterward the widely famous United States district Judge, John T. Holmes, John Ball, A. D. Rathbun, J. S. Chamberlain, C. P. Calkins, Sylvester Granger, E. E. Sargeant, S. M. Johnson, Lucius Patterson (whose death cut short a career of honorable promise), Ralph Cole, second mayor of the city, and C. Osgood. Among those of a little later date were the Champlin brothers-the General, and the present justice of the supreme court-E. S. Eggleston, and others.
The first bar association was organized Feb. 7, 1878, with D. Darwin Hughes president; Edward Taggart, vice-president; L. W. Wolcott, secretary; R. W. Butterfield, treasurer; John C. FitzGerald, Edwin F. Uhl and E. S. Eggleston, executive committee. The first members, besides the above officers, were: H. E. Thompson, John W. Champlin, Lyman D. Norris, L. P. Eddy, James Blair, ex-Attorney General Moses Taggart, J. W. Ransom, J. B. Willson, J. Kleinhans, W. Kingsley, T. J. O’Brien, ex-Judge Isaac H. Parrish, C. C. Rood, Albert Jennings, C. M. McLaren, Fred AS. Maynard, E. C. Allen,. H. B. Fallass, E. M. Adams, N. A. Fletcher, W. J. Stuart, E. F. Sweet, O. H. Simonds, S.C. Hinsdale, H. H. Drury, and M. J. Smiley.
At the first election, held Dec. 2, 1878, John W. Champlin was elected president and Moses Taggart, treasurer. N. A. Earle was admitted in 1879, and D. Darwin Hughes was chosen president. M. C. Burch was admitted in 1880. In 1881 there were 134 lawyers and law firms in the city, of whom about 100 were practicing.
The law library was organized in 1886. Its room is in 85 New Houseman Building; L. B. Livingston secretary and librarian.
The present officers of the Bar Association are: E. F. Uhl, president; Thos. J. O’Brian, vice-president; J. S. Lawrence, secretary. The Library association comprises most of the practicing attorneys. The library contains about 4,000 volumes, valued at $11,000. The number of lawyers and law firms at present in active practice is 125. The total number of members of the bar in the city is something over 200.
The bar of Grand Rapids has furnished to the bench and to other high official positions many men of learning and of note-United States judges and attorneys, state supreme and circuit court judges, recorders of the city and judges of its superior court, state attorneys general, various state officers, from lieutenant governor down, state senators and representatives, members of congress, consuls, etc. In fact, there are but two very conspicuous officers within the gift of the state that have never been filled from Grand Rapids at all, and therefore, of course, not by her bar-governor and United States senator.
The city is well supplied with physicians and surgeons, a number of whom are widely known and noted. Dr. Charles Shepard was the pioneer physician and surgeon of the place, settling here in 1833. He is still able to practice, though at a venerable age, and is still highly and widely esteemed for his great skill and learning There are about 160 doctors now in practice in the city. The Academy of Medicine meets every alternate week to discuss matters of interest to the profession. It is a branch of the American Medical association, and holds a high rank for learning, research, and valuable professional papers. There are also about thirty dental surgeons and operative dentists in the city, of whom several hold high rank in their profession. Dr. J. C. Parker is the oldest in service, has long been one of the state fish commissioners, and is a naturalist and general scientist of state reputation.
PHARMACISTS AND DRUGGISTS
There are over sixty drug stores in the city, of which three are wholesale, and over 180 pharmacists and druggists. The Pharmaceutial society is a body that ranks among the best of its kind on this continent. The leading drug stores are noted for their elegance and enterprise, keeping up with the very latest styles, inventions and discoveries.
The city has several architects to whose skill it owes much for the elegance and taste of its buildings. The clergy and teachers of all sorts have organizations for mutual instruction, discussion and benefit, to keep high the standards of their professions. In all the professions Grand Rapids has a good and wide reputation. Its civil engineers, editors, teachers, musicians, etc., hold honorable ranks among their several fraternities.
THE VIEWS ON THIS PAGE-THE EAGLE BUILDING-COMPARISONS.
During this year the Eagle building has been thoroughly remodeled; a new story, making four above the basement, was added, a new front was built, and other improvements, external and internal, were made. The Eagle and its fellow tenants in the building now occupy most attractive and convenient quarters, unsurpassed in appearance and adaptability to their purposes. The artist has given a faithful reproduction of the photographic view; unfortunately it is not possible to present a view of the first home of this paper, used forty-five years ago.
But in some of the other views on this page very instructive comparisons are suggested-comparisons which are not greater than would be seen were the first quarters of the Eagle shown. One of the most significant of these illustrations is that showing the old court house of 1838 and the one to be completed the coming year; another as startling is the post office of 1841 and the present United States government building-post office and government offices. The city never has had any but a rented home until its beautiful hall was built, but some idea of the character of its former offices is suggested. The National hotel was one of the most important in the state in early days-its successor, on the same site, fully preserves the tendency begun more than half a century ago. No greater proof of the change and growth of the city during the life-time of the Eagle could be given than these illustrations grouped as comparisons; frequently such pictures tell more than columns of descriptive matter could.
Transcriber: Barb Jones
Created: 16 January 2010