TWENTY SIXTH MICHIGAN INFANTRY
The Twenty Sixth Michigan Infantry was organized at Jackson, September 1862 and left for Washington, December 15 with a force of nine hundred three officers and men under command of Colonel Judson A. Farrar.
Soon after its arrival at Washington in December 1862, it was ordered on provost duty at Alexandria, Virginia. It remained this employed until April 20, 1863, when the command proceeded to Suffolk, Virginia. It took part in several expeditions made to the Blackwater. In one of these, May 23, a portion of the regiment engaged in a skirmish in the vicinity of Windsor, in which it loss an officer. November 20, the regiment moved to Yorktown and formed part of the command of General Keyes that marched to Bottom’s Bridge on the Chickahominy, and returned to Yorktown, July 11. The day following the return, the regiment was ordered to Washington and then to the city of New York to assist in sustaining the laws during a draft in the city. It remained here and in defense of the harbor during the progress of the draft and on October 13, it was ordered from Fort Richmond on Stanton Island, where it had been stationed, to the army of the Potomac. On its joining that army it was assigned to the first brigade, first division, and second army corps.
The Twenty Sixth won great honors in 1864. In the terrible charges on the rebel position at Po River, May 11 & 12th, it lost thirty killed and one hundred twenty three wounded and was the first to hoist its colors on the captured works. During the year, 1865, it took part in almost every action of the Virginia army from White Oak Swamp, August 16, 1864 to Appomattoz Court House, April 9, 1865. Returning to Jackson, Michigan, June 16, 1865, it was discharged.
Transcriber: Allison Rapson
Created: 7 February 2007