It was found, after the organization of the several Congressional District regiments had been completed, that more companies and been offered than places had been provided for, and the Twenty Fifth Michigan Infantry was constituted from the surplus. It was ordered into rendezvous at Kalamazoo, and H. G. Wells, Esq., placed in command of the camp.

Colonel Orland H. Moore, then a captain in the U. S. army, who had been Lieutenant Colonel of the Thirteenth Michigan was appointed its colonel, under whose direction it had been drilled and disciplined and took the field as its commander.

On the 29th of September, 1862 it moved from Kalamazoo under orders to report at Louisville, Its muster roll showing a strength of 896 officers and men.

The regiment was stationed at this point until December 8th following when it was ordered to Munfordsville where it became engaged in a skirmish with the enemy on the 27th. Thence it moved to Bowling Green, January 8th, 1863 where it was employed on provost and picket duty, and in guarding railroad trains until March 26th, when it proceeded to Lemanon and took part with the troops under General Manson, in pursuit of the rebels under Pegram. The rebels having been driven from Kentucky, the regiment returned to Lebanon, arriving April 3rd. and these proceeded to Louisville, where it was engaged in provost and guard duty. The command had been assigned to the first brigade, second division, twenty third corps, army of Ohio in which it served until the close of the was. On June tenth, five companies, D.E.F.I and K under Colonel Moore were ordered to Lebanon, and then marched to Green River Bridge near Columbia and n the Fourth of July following were attacked at Tebb’s Bend by a largely superior force of the enemy, under General John H. Morgan, who summoned then to surrender. Colonel Moore replied that the fourth of July was not a proper day for such a proposition, the fight lasting three and a half hours when General Morgan retired with a lost of fifty killed, among which were a Colonel, two majors, five captains and six lieutenants and two hundred wounded. The contest was one of great obstinacy, and at times the enemy occupied one side of the temporary breastworks of fallen timer, while the men of the Twenty Fifth held the other. After the battle, the enemy under a flag of truce requested permission to bury its dead, which was granted. For this defense the thanks of the Kentucky Legislature were tendered unanimously and by acclamation to Colonel Moore and his comrades of the Twenty Fifth, whose repulse of Morgan at this crises by which that leader lost thirty hours of time, "had save Lebanon and Louisville" as was stated, "from sack and pillage".

During the year, eight men died in action, eighty two of disease and twenty three were wounded. This regiment served the summer of 1864 in the Georgia campaign with the army of the Ohio, losing twenty men in battle, thirty three by disease and eighty seven wounded.

This regiment was present at Nashville on December 15 & 16, 1864 and subsequently rendered good service in the pursuit of General Hood’s forces. In 1865, it acted under General Schofield in the Carolina until mustered out at Salisbury, June 24, 1865. The regiment was discharged at Jackson, July 2, 1865.

Transcriber: Allison Rapson
Created: 7 February 2007