SIXTEENTH MICHIGAN INFANTRY
The Sixteenth Michigan Infantry, originally known as Stocktonís Independent Regiment was organized at Camp Backus, Detroit, by Colonel Thomas B. W. Stockton of Flint, under direct authority from the Secretary of War and took the field as such, the officers for sometime being without commissions, but finally, in order to make their status legal, it was found necessary to have commissions from the State of Michigan for them which they received. Numerical designation of the regiment was given at the same time.
The regiment in command of Colonel Stockton left for the field in Virginia on the sixteenth of September 1861 with a total of seven hundred sixty one men on its rolls.
In February 1862, a company was mustered into service at Detroit with Kin S. Dygert as Captain, known as Dygertís Sharpshooters, which was designated on the rolls and records as the First Independent Company, attached to the Sixteenth, serving with the regiment until the close of the war.
The Sixteenth encamped at Hallís Hill, Virginia during the winter of 1861-2 and in command of Colonel Stockton moved to the Peninsula under Mc Cellan in March following, and belonged to the Third Brigade, First Division, Fifth Corps, in which it served during the entire war.
This regiment served in fifty one general engagements from the siege of Yorktown, April 4, 1862 to Petersburg, Virginia, April 3, 1865 and was discharged at Jackson, July 25, 1865.
|Private||Almy||David O.||G||Died 3/5/36||M. S. H.||7-24-5|
|Private||Bailey||Virgil A.||C||Died||Greenwood (Hadley)|
|Long||John R.||1 S.S.|
Transcriber: Allison Rapson
Created: 7 February 2007