Dictionary of Grand Rapids 1907
This little "Dictionary of Grand Rapids" has been prepared in response to a demand for a small, concise volume containing the answers to questions which are constantly arising regarding matters of general interest. The information it contains was secured though the Municipal Affairs Committee of the Board of Trade, which maintains a Reference Bureau designed to supply information along civic and social lines.
Being a first attempt, this dictionary will undoubtedly be found lacking in some respects. The Old National Bank and the Municipal Affairs Committee will be glad to receive any suggestions that may tend to make future editions more valuable.
Old National Bank’s
Dictionary of Grand Rapids
Advertisers Club, Grand Rapids--The Advertisers Club was organized November 5th, 1907. Its purpose is to further the interests of the city in ways that will call favorable attention to the city. It held the first civic pageant June 9th, 1909. It is now working on another for this year. Membership about 200. Dues $3.00, initiation $2.00.
President, C.O. Lancaster;
Vice President, W.D. Bishop;
Treasurer, George W. Foster;
Secretary, J. Frank Quinn.
Ward Term Expires
1 John J. Fallon May 1, 1912; 423 S. Ionia Street
1 Cornelius Schram May 1, 1911; 159 Oakland Ave.
2 John McNabb May 1, 1912; 392 Fountain Street
2 Frank C. Steinmann May 1, 1911; 110 Grand Avenue
3 John H. Hosken May 1, 1912; 634 Cherry Street
3 Wm. H. Kinsey May 1, 1911; 31 Charles Street
4 Wm. DeBoer May 1, 1912; 88 Brainard Street
4 Eugene F. Smith May 1, 1911; 326 N. College Avenue
5 Isaac Appel May 1, 1912; 210 Taylor Street
5 Gustaav Oswald May 1, 1911; 85 Carrier Street
6 James Mol May 1, 1912; 43 Courtney Street
6 Edward A. Connelly May 1, 1911; 391 N. Front Street
7 Wm. Hensler May 1, 1912; 82 N. Jefferson Street
7 Joseph Emmer May 1, 1911; 56 Broadway
8 Chas. L. Brown May 1, 1912; 365 Straight Street
8 John Wygmans May 1, 1911; 209 Chatham Street
9 Casper M. Droste May 1, 1912; 171 S. Jefferson Street
9 Joseph Renihan May 1, 1911; 315 Broadway
10 Louis B. Saunders May 1, 1912; 151 Terrace Avenue
10 John G. Huizenga May 1, 1911; 456 S. College Avenue
11 John F. Kelley May 1, 1912; 755 Fifth Avenue
11 Stuart E. Johnson May 1, 1911; 314 Eighth Avenue
12 Fred P. Geib May 1, 1912; 929 Stewart Avenue
12 Adrian DeYoung May 1, 1911
Amusements--Reed Lake--Swimming, boating, skating, ice yachting. North Park--Boating, swimming, dancing. John Ball Park--Largest public park, contains the city zoo. Lake Michigan Resorts--Jenison Park, Macatawa Park, Ottawa Beach, Spring Lake, Grand Haven, Lake Michigan Park, Black Lake. See "Interurban Railroads." "Lake Resorts," Boating. Golf--2 clubs, Kent Country and Highland. Theatres--Powers, Majestic, Temple, Garrick, Ramona at Reed’s Lake in summer. Vaudeville and many special entertainment features. Plainfield, Cascade Springs. West Michigan State Fair.
Anti-Tuberculosis Society, The Grand Rapids--This, the first
Anti-Tuberculosis Society in Michigan, was organized on March 3d, 1905 by a
committee of the Charity Organization Society.
The Society employs a visiting nurse who acts under the supervision of Mrs. Flora Nieman, Superintendent of the District Nurses Association. The Society also maintains a free clinic where those unable to pay for medical attendance may consult physicians free of charge and if found to be suffering from tuberculosis, receive free treatment. Office hours, Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12 to 1 P.M., Charities Building, Park Street.
President, John W. Blodgett;
Treasurer, L.Z. Caukin;
Secretary, John Ihilder.
Apartment Houses--The rent of "Flats" with no conveniences varies from $8.00 to $12.00 per month. "Apartments" such as the Iowa and Half Century, rent to $40.00 including heat and janitor service.
Asylums--See Hospital etc.
Ashes and Garbage--Removed by board of Health.
Automobiles--Automobiles for hire at; Austin Automobile Co., 102 S.
Division St.; Beelby Supply Co. 39-45 Fountain St.; C.J. Bronson, 42-50 Kent
St., Buick Motor Co., N. Ottawa St.; Continental Automobile Co., 93-99 Jefferson
Ave.; W.S. Farrant, 87-89-91 N. Division St.; Central Auto Co., 160-162 N. Ionia
St.; W.D. Vandecar, 157 N. Ottawa St.; A.N. Albee, 9 Crescent Ave.
Rates, $5.00 for first hour, $2.50 for each succeeding hour.
Baggage--Regular rates are; For one piece of baggage within a mile and a half from Union Station, $.25; greater distance, $.50. Among the baggage and transfer companies may be mentioned; Columbian Transfer Co., 15-19 N. Market St.; Doyle Storage & Transfer Co., 10 S. Ionia St.; Golden & Boter Transfer Co., 27-31 N. Market St.; Helmus Bros., 843 Wealthy Ave.; Meyer Transfer Co., 159 E. Fulton St.; Reliable Transfer Co., 94-108 S. Ionia St.; Security Transfer Co., 87 Kent St.; Star Baggage Line, 104 Oakes St.; Stonehouse Carting Co., 11-13 Canal St.; Willis Transfer Co., 64 ½ S. Ionia St.
Bands and Orchestras
Bistline’s Orchestra 155 Henry St.; Joseph Bistline, Leader
Butcher’s Orchestra 770 LaBelle Ave.; Marvin Butcher, Leader
Clement’s Orchestra 390 Wealthy Ave. ; O.G. Clement, Leader
Evening Press Newsboy’s Band; J.Wesley Lafferty, Leader E. Fulton St.
Force’s Orchestra 30 Canal St.; Wilbur Force, Leader
Furniture City Band 202 W. Broadway; Frank Wurzburg, Leader
Grand Rapids Letter Carrier’s Band Office, 24 Canal St.; Organized March 16,1899
Graversen’s Orchestra 14 N. Front St.; Hjalmar Graversen, Leader
Guthan’s Orchestra Office, 30 Canal St.; Jos. Guthan, Jr., Leader
Heald’s Orchestra 30 Canal St.; Edgar G. Heald, Leader
Hibernian Band 24 Canal St.; J.W. Lafferty, Director
Hills’ Concert Orchestra 88 N. Ottawa St.; Birney J. Hills, Director
Polish Military Band 211 Michigan Ave.; Andrew Kubasiak, Leader
Powers Opera House Orchestra 30 Canal St.; Christian Schmidt, Leader
Ramona Band & Orchestra 44 Julia St.; W.W. Wilkins, Mgr.
St. Aloysious Young Men’s Society Band 24 Canal St; J. W. Lafferty, Director
Stamp’s Orchestra 258 W. Bridge St.; F.M. Stamp, Leader
Tuller’s Orchestra 500 Grandville Ave.; Clyde E. Tuller, Leader
Valley City Band 131 Michigan St.; F.A. Thomas, Leader
Woodman’s Band 120 Thompson Ct.; Frederich Cutchinski, Leader
Banks--City Trust & Savings, 134 Monroe St., $100,000 Capital; Commercial Savings, Canal & Michigan Ave., $200,000 Capital; Fourth National Bank, Pearl & Monroe Sts. $300,000 Capital; Grand Rapids National, 74 Monroe St., $500,000 Capital; Grand Rapids Savings, Monroe & Ionia Sts., $150,000 Capital; Kent State, N. Ottawa St., $500,00 Capital; Madison Square, 712 Madison Ave., $13,000 Capital; Michigan Trust Co., Capital $200,000; Michigan Exchange Private Bank, Capital $30,000; National City, Pearl and Monroe Streets, $600,000 Capital; Old National, 1 Canal St., $800,000 Capital; People’s Savings, Monroe & Ionia Sts., $100,000 Capital; South Grand Rapids State, 1264 S. Division St., $25,000 Capital; Grand Rapids Clearing House Association, 303 Fourth National Bank Bldg., Total Capital--$3,.518,000.
Baseball--Manager, Joe Raidy, Columbus, Ohio. Games are played at Ramona Athletic Park. Central League; Wheeling, Zanesville, Ft. Wayne, South Bend, Terre Haute, Evansville, Dayton, and Grand Rapids. Won Pennant in 1905. Owners last year were Philip Arnold and Bert Annis of South Bend, Ind. Evansville wonn pennant in 1908. Wheeling won pennant in 1909, Players Sheehan, 3b; Raidy, ss; McNiece, rf; Kahl, 2nd; Tieman, c; Kihm, 1b; Kehoe, cf; Holt, lf; Cook, p.
Bissell House--A Neighborhood Center 425 N. Ottawa St., Established 1891. Outgrowth of the free kindergarten. Erected by Mrs. M. R. Bissell who gave the use of it as long as it is used for its present purpose. It maintains clubs and classes. Its object is to promote a higher moral standard. It has no creed backing and is broad and liberal. There are five to seven resident workers.
President, Mr. C.S. Udell;
Boarding Houses--Many in the city. List may be obtained from the city directory.
Board of Trade--The object of the Grand Rapids Board of Trade, as stated in its constitution, is "to promote integrity and good faith, just and equitable principles of business; to discover and correct abuses; to establish and maintain uniformity in commercial usages, to prevent or adjust controversies and misunderstandings which may arise between persons engaged in trade; to secure the location of all kinds of manufacturing interests; to solicit the investment of local and foreign capital and generally to foster, protect and advance the commercial, mercantile, manufacturing, real estate and municipal interests of the city and its surroundings."
The association is financially supported by the payment of $10.00 annual dues. The membership is over 1,100.Heber A. Knott, president. The secretary of the Board of Trade is the executive officer and devotes his entire time to the furtherance of its interests. Clarence A. Cotton, Secretary.
Boating--Reeds Lake, reached by Wealthy-Taylor, Wealthy-Scribner, Cherry-Shawmut cars, 25 minutes ride from Monroe St. Grand River, South of Wealthy Ave. an at North Park, which is reached by Wealthy-Taylor cars, 20 minutes ride from Campau Square.
Books of Reference about Grand Rapids--City Directory, City M<annual, City Plan Report, Goss’ Histories of Grand Rapids, Everett’s History of Grand Rapids, Telephone Directories.
Building & Loan Companies--Grand Rapids Mutual Building & Loan Ass’n, 106-108 Widdicomb Bldg.; Mutual Home Savings Ass’n, 88 N. Ottawa St.; Peninsula Building & Loan Association, 333 Michigan Trust Bldg.; Scandard Savings & Loan Association of Detroit, Mich., 16-18 Wonderly Bldg.; Valley City Building & Loan Association, 311 Fourth National Bank Building; West Side Building & Loan Ass’n, 68 West Bridge St.
Business Colleges--McLachlan Business University, 19-25 S. Division St., Established in 1892. Between six and seven hundred students during the year.; Valley City Commercial School 75-83 Lyon St., Established in 1866, 150 students.
Cemeteries--Fair Plains-Knapp Ave.--½ mile east of Plainfield Ave., Calvin E. Alexander, sexton, 24 acres, controlled by stock company; Fulton and East St., John Ringold, sexton, 40 acres, controlled by stock company; Garfield Park--Kalamazoo Ave. and P.M.R.R. Lewis N. Fisher, Supt., 25 acres, controlled by stock company; Greenwood--W. Leonard St. near city limits. Under charge of Cemetery Commissioners, Eugene V. Goebel Supt., Thomas Sowerby, sexton, 80 acres, controlled by city; Mt. Calvary--Between W. Leonard and Walker Ave., Rev. Joseph Schrembs, supt., Louis Siegel, sexton 17 acres. Roman Catholic; Soldier’s Home--North ark; Oak Hill--Between Union and East Sts., north and south of Hall St., entrance on Hall St., under charge of Cemetery Commissioners. Eugene V. Goebel, supt., 80 acres, controlled by city; St. Andrew’s--Madison Ave., between Prince and Jones Sts. Rev. J.A. Schmitt, supt., Thomas Luxford, sexton, Catholic. 10 acres. Washington Park--Cor. West and North Sts., Jacob J. Modderman, sexton, 40 acres, controlled by stock company.
Charity Organization Society--23 Park St. Established 1903. Carried on by subscriptions. Summer Vacation Work. Cottage at Ottawa Beach for mothers and convalescents. Officers are:
Pres. L.T. Wilmarth;
Chimes--St. Andrew’s Cathedral. 10 bells. Put up in 1909. Each of these bells bears the name of a saint and was the gift of an association or of an individual.
Churches--There are 120 church buildings. 22 different denominations. Strongest are the Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian. Largest churches in center of city. Morning service is most churches at 1030 and evening services at 7:30 in summer and 7:00 in winter.
Baptist--Berean --N. Coit Ave., no pastor; Burton Ave.--Corner Burton and Horton Aves., Rev. Edgar L. Killam, pastor; Calvary--Cor. Sixth Ave. and Ionia St., Rev. H.H. Ford pastor; Fountain Street--Cor. Fountain and Bostwick Sts., Rev. Alfred W. Wishart, pastor; Holland--Quarry St., near W. Leonard St., Rev. Douwe Laansma, pastor; Messiah--[African] Henry St. near Logan St., Rev. S. Henri Browne, pastor; Reeds Lake--Cor. Lake and Croswell Aves., no pastor; Scribner Street--Scribner St., near Leonard St., Rev. W.H. Palmer, pastor; Second--Cor. Gold and California Sts., Rev. Peter Eljenholm, pastor; Wealthy Avenue--Wealthy Ave., cor. S. East St., Rev. O.W. Van Osdel, pastor.
Catholic--Rt. Rev. Joseph Richter, Bishop of Grand Rapids, Home, 165 Sheldon St. Church of the Holy Name, Godfrey Ave., Rev. Thomas J. Reid, pastor; Sacred Heart Church [Polish], S. Valley and Park Aves., Rev. Ladislaus Krakowski, pastor; St. Delbert’s [Polish] Cor. Fourth and Davis St., Rev. Casimir Skory, pastor; Rev. Francis J. Piaskowski, asst. pastor; St. Alphonsus’, cor. Carrier and N. Coit Ave., Rev. Joseph F. Firle, pastor; Revs. Geo. A. Breffeil, John B. McGeough, Henry Mierrer and John J. Matthews, assts.; St. Andrew’s Cathedral--Cor. Sheldon and Maple Sts., Rev. J.A. Schmitt, pastor, Rev. Edward J. Jewell, asst.; St. Antonius--Hamilton St., Rev. Anthony Eickelmann, pastor; St. Isidor’s [Polish], 418 N. Diamond St., Rev. Maryan Matkowski, pastor ; St. James--W. Bridge St., Rev. Robert W. Brown, pastor, Rev. Daniel Hyland, asst.; St. Joseph’s--[Holland] Rumsey St., Rev. Edmund Kaiser, pastor; St. Mary’s--[German] cor. First and Turner Sts. Rev. Monsignor Joseph Schrembs, pastor, Rev. Innocent Dressel, asst.; S.S. Peter and Paul--[Lithuanian], Quarry St., Rev. W.V. Matulaitis, pastor.
Congregational--East--238 School St., Rev. Geo. H. Hancock, pastor; Park--E. Park Place, Rev. Edwin W. Bishop, pastor; Plymouth--Cor. Fifth Ave. and Dolbee St., Rev. A.H. Soneman, pastor; Second--Cor. Plainfield Ave. and Grove St., Rev. S.T. Morris, pastor; Smith Memorial--Cor. Finney and Wealthy Ave., Rev. Herbert McConnell, pastor; South--Cor. Central Ave. and Eight Ave., Rev. C.O. Grieshaber, pastor; Swedish Mission--39 Broadway, Rev. Oscar G. Larson, pastor; Wallin Memorial--Cor. First St. and Pine St., Rev. John T. Husted, pastor.
Espiscopal-- Rt. Rev. John N. McCormick, Bishop of Western Michigan, office, St. Marks’ Parish House, Home, 285 E. Fulton St. Church of the Good Shepherd--Cor. Michigan and College Aves.; Grace--Cor. Lafayette and Cherry Sts., Rev. Francis R. Godolphin, Rector; St. John’s--Cor. Central and Highland Aves.; St. Luke’s Mission--W. Broadway and Veto Sts., Rev. L.R. Vercoe, rector; St. Mark’s--[Pro-Cathedral] N. Division St., Rev. Roger H. Peters, Dean; St. Paul’s Memorial--Turner St., Rev. L.R. Vercoe, rector.
Hebrew Synagogues--Temple Beth Israel--Ottawa St., Rev. Abraham Rosenthal, rabbi; Temple Emmanual--Cor. Ranson and Fountain Sts., Rev. Emanual Kahn, rabbi.
Lutheran--Bethesda Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran--N. Front St., Ole J. Holtan, pastor; German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Immanuel--Cor. Michigan Ave. and Division St., Rev. C.J.T. Frincke, pastor, Rev. Otto C.A. Boecler, asst. pastor; Norsk Evangelical Lutheran--Cor. W. Broadway and Veto Sts., Rev. F.A.T. Cornelius-sen, pastor; St. John’s German Lutheran--12 Mt. Vernon Sr., Rev. F. Robert Schrieber, pastor; Swedish Evangelical Lutheran--Court St. and Blumrich Ave., Rev. Carl A. Eckstrom, pastor; Trinity [English] cor. Crescent Ave. and Bostwick St., Rev. Henry C. Roehner, pastor.
Methodist Espiscopal--Arnett Chapel [African], 205 S. Commerce St., Rev. J.M. Evans, Pastor; Clark--Sherman St. opp. Norwood Ave., no pastor; Division Street--Cor. Division and Fountain Sts., Rev. G.H. Birney, pastor; Epworth-Lafayette and Trowbridge Sts., Rev. M.A. Drauand, pastor; Burton Heights Methodist--Cor. Burton and Horton Aves. Rev. Alvin O. Carman, pastor; German--Scribner and Second Sts., Rev. Elias Roser, pastor; Joy Memorial--Broadway, Rev. John A. DeGraff, pastor; Plainfield Avenue--Cor. Plainfield and Spencer Aves. Rev. Chas. Nease, pastor; St. Paul’s--Tenth Ave., Rev. James R. Wooton, pastor; Second Street--Second and Turner Sts., Rev. Lambert E. Lennox, pastor; Trinity--S. East St., Rev,. Russell H. Bready, pastor; Zion--[African]--Cor. Fifth Ave. and Thompson Court, Rev. S.W. Weller, pastor.
Miscellaneous--Bradford Street Mission--Bradford St.; Burton Avenue Mission--560 Burton Ave.; Christian Missionary Alliance--200 Michigan Ave.; City Rescue Mission--N. Market St., Rev. Levin Trotter, supt.; Gospel Hall, 272 N. College Ave.; Home Mission--916 Burton Ave.; Kent St. Mission--44 Kent St.; Salvation Army--62-64 Pearl St.; Seventh Day Adventist--22 Cass Ave., Rev. James M. Wilbur, pastor; Volunteers of America--156 Kent St., Capt. E. Stockwell in charge.
Presbyterian--First--Cor. First and Scribner Streets, no pastor; Immanuel--Madison Ave., opp. Oakdale Ave. Rev. Geo. F. Arnold, pastor; Third--West Broadway between Watson and Butterworth Ave., Rev. Carl Longbrake, pastor; Westminster--Island and LaGrave Sts., Rev. R.H. Hartley, pastor.
Scientist--First Church of Christ--Cor. Washington and Lafayette Sts., Percival B. Garvey and Agnes F. Chalmers, readers. In connection with and under the auspices of the church is a reading room, open from 10 A.M. to 5 P.. daily except Sunday.
Unitarian--Holland Unitarian N. Ionia and Michigan Ave., Rev. B.A. VanSluyters, pastor.
Universalist--All souls--Sheldon and Oakes Sts., Rev. Howard B. Bard, pastor.
City Officers--Executive--Mayor, Geo. E. Ellis, term 1910-1912; Mayor’s Secretary, Catherine Donahue; City Clerk, James Schriver, term 1909-1911; Deputy Clerk, James M. Sheehan; Index Clerk, Bessie A. Powers; Bookkeeper, Jacob VanWingen.
Police Department--Supt. Of Police, Harvey O. Carr; Captain, Dennis Millaley; Ex-Captain, John Johnson.
Health Department--Health Officers and Executive Officers of the Health Dept., Dr. C.C. Slemons; Dr. L.H. Gilleland, School Examiner.
Poor Department--Supt. Of Poor and Executive Officer of the Poor Department, Leonard DePagter, acting supt.; City Physician, Ralph Apted, M.D.; Clerk, Hherry Harris.
Board of Library Commissioners President, John S. Lawrence, term expires 1912.
Education Department--Supt. Of Schools, Wm. A. Greeson; Asst. Supt. Of Schools, Therese Townsend.
Clubs--Among the clubs in the city are: Furniture City Driving Club--President, J. Boyd Pantland; Secretary, Geo. S. Ward, 227 Pleasant St.; Treasurer, Charles B. Kelsey.
Grand Rapids Boat and Canoe Club--North Park; President, J.R. Taylor; Secretary, Joseph W. Putnam, 15 S. Ionia St.; Treasurer C.A. McConnell.
Grand Rapids Camera Club--74 Monroe St.; President, Edgar S. Gage; Secretary and Treasurer, M. Shillenger, 158 S. Prospect St.
Grand Rapids Curling Club--Lake and Norwood Aves.; President, C.A. Hauser; Secretary and Treasurer, Ernest A. Rose, 353 Crescent Ave.
Grand Rapids Speedway Club--President, C.F. Verrell; Secretary, C.M.
Brown, Fourth National Bank Bldg.; Speedway at Fifth and Giddings Aves.
Highland Golf Club--Fifth and Giddings Aves.; President, F.Dunbar Robertson; Secretary, S.R. Fletcher, 311 Michigan Trust Bldg,
Kent County Club--College Ave. north of Sweet; President, John C. Holt; Secretary, C.H. Bender, 305 Michigan Trust Bldg.; Treasurer, Clay H. Hollister.
Peninsular Club--Cor. Fountain and Ottawa Sts. President, John Dufft; Secretary, Ferry K. Heath, Michigan Trust Bldg.
(See Women’s Clubs).
Colleges--Grand Rapids Veterinary College--38-40 Louis St., Herman L. Schuh, D.V.M., Dean; J.F. Morrison, Sec and Treas. 175 students. Come from all parts of the world.
John Calvin, Jr. College and Holland Theological School--(Organized 1891), Fifth and Madison Aves.; Rev. Wm. Heyns, Rector; Albertus J. Rooks, Principal; Klass Schoolland, secretary. 150 students.
County Officers, Kent County--Judges, Circuit Court--Willis B. Perkins, 1906-1912; John S. McDonald, 1908-1912; Judge of Probate and of Juvenile Court--Harry D. Jewell, 1909-1913. Register of Probate, Roy M. Watkins; Sheriff, Wm. J. Hurley, 1908-1910; Under Sheriff, Edwin Pettis; County Clerk, Ralph A. Mosher, 1908-1910; Deputy County Clerks, Robert G. Hill; Alex E. Krakowski; Frank McKay; J.H. Anderson; Peter Telder; Register of Deeds, Hugh A. Montgomery, 1908-1910; Deputy Register, Wm . J. Thomas; County Treasurer, Gerrit Nevenzel; Prosecuting Attorney, Wm. B. Brown, 1908-1910; Asst. Prosecuting Attorney, H. Monroe Dunham and Louis T. Herman; Coroners, John B. Hilliker, 1908-1910; Simeon Leroy, Jr., 1908-1910.
Superior Court of Grand Rapids, Judge, Wm. J. Stuart.
Curfew Law--Enacted July 10, 1905. Whistle blows in summer at 9:00 P.M., and in the winter at 8:00 P.M. Whistle is at the City Electric Lighting Plant on the island.
Depots--Union Station--S. Ionia St.; Grand Trunk--Michigan Ave.; Lake Shore &Michigan Southern--W. Fulton St.; West Bridge St. and Fuller.
Freight Depots--Grand Trunk--Cor. Canal and Sixth Sts., Fuller Station; Grand Rapids & Indiana--First St. and Railroad, Godfrey Ave., Fuller Station; Pere Marquette--Cherry and Ottawa Sts. D. G. H. & M. Junction; Lake Shore & Michigan Southern--W. Bridge and W. Division Sts; Michigan Central--Ionia and Cherry Sts.
District Associations--Burton Heights Improvement Association. Canal Street Business Men’s Association. Creston Citizens Association. Grandville Avenue Improvement Association. Madison Square Board of Trade. Sixth Ward Improvement Association. South Division Street Business Men’s Association.
East Grand Rapids--Officers are:--President, Benj. S. Hanchett; Clerk, Chas. F. Sargeant; Treasurer, M.B. Hall; Trustees, John Paul, James Rose, Thos. B. O’Keefe, R.V. McArthur, Richard J. Brummeler, David B. Schoenfield; Assessor, Fred Forrester.
Elks--Grand Rapids Lodge, No. 48. Chartered 1886. Meets at Elk’s Hall, New Clark Bldg. every Friday at 7:30 P.M. E.R. Jas. A. Lombard, Sec., G.D. Bostock. New building in course of erection on Ottawa St.; near City Hall.
Express Companies--Adams Express Co., 31 N. Ionia St.; American Express Co., 33 Monroe St.; National Express Co., Pearl St. by the bridge; Northern Express Co., Pearl St. by the bridge; Southern Express Co., 31 Ionia St.; United States Express Co., Ionia St.
Federal Building--Customs House--Sheridan F. Masters. Internal Revenue--Samuel M. Lemon.
Fire Department--Fire Marshall, Henry Lemoin, Asst. Fire Marshall, H.C. Bettinghouse, Chief of Battalion, D.B. Walker, Municipal Inspector, Geo. Cotton; Clerk Elecrical Department, John H. O’Connor. 155 men. 11 stations in Grand Rapids:-Diamond St.--Luke Kerwin, Captain, 10 men; 49 LaGrave St.--Isaac Sonke, Captain, 21 men; 220 Barclay St.--J.A. Brown, Captain, 11 men; Front and Second Sts.--F. Fenn, Captain, 23 men; Kent St. and Crescent Ave.--John Goodrich, Captain, 22 men; Canal and Leonard Sts.--Truman M. Smith, Captain, 10 men; Grandville and Ellsworth Ave.--Alex Miller, Captain, 10 men; Madison Ave.--Wm. Spencer, Captain, 10 men; Jefferson and Veto Sts.--Wm. Curtis, Captain, 10 men; W. Leonard and Quarry Sts. F. Van Steenburg, Captain, 10 men; Hall and Ionia Sts,--Geo, Cole, Captain, 10 men. See Police.
Furniture Dealers, the largest--Klingman Sample Furniture Co., Ionia and Fountain Sts.; Bishop Furniture Co., Louis & Ionia Sts., Heyman Company, 47-61 Canal St.; Wegner Bros. 19-27 S. Division St.; Winegar Furniture Co.., 125-131 S. Division St.; Young & Chaffee, 94-100 N. Ottawa St.
Furniture Exhibition Buildings--Leonard Furniture Exhibition Buildings; Blodgett Company.
Gas--Consumers of gas are supplied by the Grand Rapids Gas Light Company, a corporation having the exclusive right to lay gas mains in the streets of the city.
Halls--A.O.H. Hall, 257-259 N. Ottawa St.; Arbeiter Hall, S. Jefferson St.; B.P.O.E. Hall, Clark Bldg.; Bohemian Hall, 184 Stocking St.; Burleigh’s Hall, 698 Madison Ave.; Campau Hall, 613-619 S. Division St.; Casino Hall, Scribner St.; Central Labor Union Hall, 67-69 Canal St.; Danish Hall, 21 Mt. Vernon St.; Eagle Hall, 8-10 Lyon St.; Engineer’s Hall, 462 S. Division St.; Germania Hall, N. Front St.; Goossen Hall, 519-521 N. Ottawa St.; G.A.R. Hall, 66 Pearl St.; Hanish Hall, 74 North Market St.; Hibernian Hall, 257-259 N. Otta2a St.; Hoek’s Hall, 320 W. Leonard St.; H.O.H. Hall, 52 Lyon St..; Holland Circle of Friends Hall, 213 W. Leonard St.; Holwerda’s Hall, 890 Wealthy Ave.; Houseman Hall, 982-984 Hall St.; Imperial Hall, 701 Wealthy Ave.; I.O.O.F. Halls, 213 Stocking St., 500 S. Division St., 53 Sherman St., 722 Madison Ave., 60 W. Leonard St. and at Comstock Park; Knights of Columbus Hall, 188 E. Fulton St..; K.O.T.M.M. Hall, 60 W, Leonard St.; Landwehr Hall, First and Stocking Sts.; Lithuanian Hall, 358 Hamilton St.; M.W. of A. Hall, N. Coit Ave. and Quimby St.; Newsboys’ Hall, E. Fulton St.; Page’s Hall, N. Coit Ave. and Plainfield Ave.; People’s Hall, 890 Wealthy Ave.; Polish-American Industrial Society Hall, W. Fulton and S. Lane Ave.; Polish Halls, N. East St., 183 Jackson St.; Pulcher Hall, 53-55 W. Bridge St.; Reelman Hall, 290 Grandville Ave.; Rietberg Hall, 19 Ohio St.; Ritzema’s Hall, 90 W. Leonard St.; St. Casimir Hall, 6th and Davis Sts.; St. George’s Hall, Quarry St..; St. Hedwig’s Society Hall, 23 Rumsey St.; Salvation Army Hall, 62-64 Pearl St.; Schwabenverein Hall, 11 S. Front St.; Shanahan Hall, 220 Plainfield Ave.; Simmons Hall, 500-502 S. Division St.; Socialists’ Hall, 91 Canal St.; Swedish Hall, Bowery St.; United American’s Hall, 191 W. Division St.; Vander Veen’s Hall, 367 S. East St.; Vidro’s Hall, 190 Stocking St.; Wilnot Hall, 36 W. Leonard St.
Historical Dates--First permanent building erected (for missionaries to Indian village, 1825). Arrival of first settlers, 1833. Incorporated as a village, 1838. Incorporated as a city, 1850. Name "Grand Rapids" given to the first post office, 1832 First gas lights installed, 1857. First horse cars operated, 1865. First electric lights installed 1881. First telephones installed, 1879. Flood Protection work begun, 1904. Present charter went into effect, Sept. 1, 1905. Home Rule for Michigan Cities effective, Sept. 1, 1809. City Plan Report issued, May 1909.
Historical Society of Grand Rapids--The Historical Society of Grand
rapids was founded in 1894; reorganized in affiliation with The Grand Rapids
Public Library in 1906.
The object of the society is to spread historical information. It has published the following monographs relating to the history of Grand Rapids.
Volume 1, Part 1 (a) A Review of "Michigan as a Province, Territory and
State." By Lewis G. Stuart.(b) The Published Material Relating to the
History of Grand Rapids, and the Original Sources of Information for Writing our
Local History, by Dwight Goss, Esq.
Volume 1, Part 2, John Ball and Early Grand Rapids, by Miss Lucy Ball.
Volume 1, Part 3, Fur Traders of the Grand River Valley, by Miss Rebecca Richmond.
Volume 1, Part 4, Daniel Ball as a Banker, by Mr. Harvey J. Hollister.
Volume 1, Part 5, "The Early History of the Furniture Industry in Grand Rapids,’ By Mr. Wm. Widdicomb.
Present officers are:--President, Roger W. Butterfield; 1
Hospital, Asylums, Homes, Etc.--Aldrich Memorial Deaconess Home--401 Lyon St.; Anna Livingston Hospital. In connection with Children’s Home--662 Cherry St.; Bissell House, 425 N. Ottawa St.; Blodgett Memorial Children’s Home--662 Cherry St.; Buelah Home--418 Horton Ave.; Butterworth Hospital--Cor. Michigan Ave. and Bostwick Sts. In connection with hospital is a training school for nurses, Kendall Home.; City Hospital (for contagious diseases)--N. Fuller St.; Clark Memorial Home--704 Sherman St.; Holland Union Benevolent Association Home--345 Michigan Ave.; Home for the Aged--158 S. Lafayette St.; Home of the Good Shepherd--315 Walker Ave.; Kent County Detention Hospital--192 N. Ionia St.; Michigan Home for Girls--1053 Oakdale Ave.; Michigan Masonic Home--Lake Ave., opp. Reeds Lake.; Michigan Soldiers’ Home--Canal St. 1 ½ miles north of city limits.; Peoples Sanitarium and Hospital--134 S. East St.; Rest Cottage--799 E. Fulton St.; St. John’s Orphan Asylum--N.S. E. Leonard St. between North Ave. and Lafayette Sts.; St. Mary’s Hospital--145 S. Lafayette St.; Salvation Army Rescue Home--1230 S. Division St.; Tuberculosis Sanitorium--N. Fuller St.; Union Benevolent Association Hospital--Lyon and College Ave.
Nurses--U.B.A. Training Class--Butterworth Training Class--St. Mary’s Training Class. Central Directory for Nurses, 161 LaGrave St.
Hotels--American House--60 S. Ionia St.; Baldwin Hotel--43 Plainfield Ave.; Beaumont Hotel--83-85 S. Commerce St.; Bridge Street House--Michigan Ave.; Campau Park House--616 S. Division St.; Clarendon Hotel--Cor. Michigan Ave. and Canal St.; Cody, The--Cor. S. Division and E. Fulton Sts.; Crathmore Hotel--64-70 S. Ionia St.; Derby Hotel--39 W. Fulton St.; Eagle Hotel--Market and Louis Sts.; Fletcher Hotel--36 S. Division St.; Herald Square Hotel--178 E. Fulton St.; Herkimer, The--Cor. S. Division and Goodrich Sts.; Hotel Central--102 Canal St.; Hotel Grand--125 Canal St. Hotel Hermitage--Cor. Michigan Ave. and Canal St.; Hotel Oxford--12-14 Canal St.; Hotel Pantlind--Cor. Canal and Pearl Sts.; Hotel Philabaum--49 Lyon St.; Hotel Pioneer--70-72 Canal St.; Hotel Elmo--55 Lyon St.; Hotel Ten Cate--Reeds Lake; Irving Hotel--S. Diivision St.; Lake View House--Reeds Lake; Lincoln House--36 S. Commerce St.; Livingston Hotel--Cor. E. Fulton and S. Division Sts.; Majestic Hotel--15 W. Bridge St.; Morton House--Monroe and Ionia Sts. North Star Hotel--Comstock Park; Oakes, The--100 Canal St.; Ohio House--182-186 Canal St.; Ontario House--174 Kent St.; Ottawa Street House--489 N. Ottawa St.; Palm Hotel--80 Shawmut Ave.; Park House--60 N. Division St.; Planters House--27 Court St.; Portland Hotel--280 Canal St.; Riversite Hotel--Comstock Park; Wellington Hotel--52-54 S. Ionia St.; West Bridge Street House--32 W. Bridge St.; West Fulton Street house--126 W. Fulton St.; Western Hotel--112 W. Bridge St.
Humane Society, Kent County--Charities Building on Park Street.
Industries--124 lines of goods to an annual value of over $38,000,000 are produced by Grand Rapids factories. Furniture, stoves, brushes, clothing, wood working of all kinds, confectionary, plaster, refrigerators, flour, carriages, carpet sweepers, catalogs and other products are among the output. Many outside enterprises are locating in Grand Rapids, owing to its superior advantages in the way of cheap power, good locations, favorable housing conditions for workingmen, fire protection, etc.
Insurance Agencies--50 life insurance companies, 30 fire insurance companies.
Interurban Railroads--Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Railway.
Grand Rapids, Holland & Chicago Railway.
Grand Rapids interurban railroads give hourly service to the following Lake Michigan resorts:--Saugatuck, Macatawa Park, Ottawa Beach, Black Lake, Spring Lake, Highland Park, Mona Lake, Muskegon Lake and intervening points.
Special cars can be chartered for trolley rides, theater parties, excursions and fraternal societies, at reasonable rates, with the exception that special cars may not be chartered for use on interurban lines on holidays, Saturday or Sunday between June 1
Lake Resorts--Gun Lake--G. R. & I. to Shelbyville. 32 miles from Grand
Gull Lake--G. R. & I. to Kalamazoo. Interurban to lake. 60 miles from Grand Rapids.
Black Lake--Grand Rapids, Holland & Chicago Interurban. 30 miles from Grand Rapids.
Spring Lake--Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Interurban. 28 miles from Grand Rapids.
Lake Michigan--Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Interurban to Grand Haven and Muskegon; Grand Rapids, Holland & Chicago Interurban to Macatawa Park. Pere Marquette Railroad to Ottawa Beach and Macatawa. Grand Trunk Railroad to Grand Haven.
Northern lakes and trout streams--G.R.&I. and Pere Marquette Railway.
Libraries--Grand Rapids Public Library, Ryerson Building--Cor. Park
and Bostwick Sts.
Branches--Coldbrook School, N. Ottawa St.; Sigsbee School, Sigsbee St.; Buchanan Street School, Buchanan St. and Griggs Ave.; Palmer Ave. School, Palmer Ave. and Watrous St.; West Side, W. Bridge and Cadwell Sts.; Hall Street School, Hall St. and Grandville Ave.
Law Library--Grand Rapids Law Library, room 1035 Michigan Trust Bldg. Organized Dec. 15, 1886.
Livery--The visitor to the city may get information as to the location
of livery stables by inquiring of the hotel clerk.
Bachmen’s Livery, 42-44 Louis St.; Bartlett & Co., Cor. Market & E. Fulton St.; Boylon, 156 N. Ionia St.; Brogger, 182 Canal St.; Eardley Wm. 13-14 S. Commerce St.; Chapman & Woodworth, 50-54 N. Division St.; Cobb, 312 Kent St.; Crescent Livery, 9 Crescent Ave.; Dowd & Thorington, 65 Kent St.; Egeler, 11 Scribner St.; Everhart, 357 Wealthy Ave,; Ferguson, 141 Kent St.; Golden & Boter Transfer Co., 27-31 N. Market St.; Green, 1017 Burton Ave.; Hewitt, 1065 Jefferson Ave.; Ingraham & Hill, 15 Summer St.; Morton House Livery, 50-54 N. Division St.;Palace Livery Co., 33-37 Michigan Ave.; Ronan, 610 S. Division St..
Messenger Service--American District Telegraph Co., 13 Canal St.; Enterprise Messenger & Parcel Co., 61 Lyon St.; Independent Messenger Service, 113 Michigan Trust Bldg.; Valley City Messenger Service, 33 N. Ottawa St.
Michigan Soldiers Home--The Home was established June 5, 1885.
$100,000 was appropriated for the purpose. $175,000 is appropriated for the
present fiscal year.
The revenue is derived about equally from National Government and State appropriation.
1237 men and 150 women in Home at present time. Wives and widows of old soldiers are cared for, nut no other relatives.
Museum, Kent Scientific--The museum is housed in a three story brick
building at the corner of Jefferson Ave. and Washington St. It was dedicated
Jan. 1, 1904 and was opened to the public Since then the museum has been a
growing object of interest to citizens and visitors. Its exhibits have been
drawn from many sources and are of many kinds. The nucleus was the collection of
the old Kent Scientific Institute, a society made up of devoted persons who gave
much of their time and labor and their goods to building up an exhibit of which
the city might feel proud. The history of the museum goes back to the
organization of the Grand Rapids Lyceum of Natural History in 1854, with John
Ball as president. In 1868 the Lyceum joined with the Kent Institute to form the
Kent Scientific Institute with John Ball again president. In 1901 the Kent
Scientific Institute turned its museum entirely over to the Board of Education.
Under control of Board of Library Commissioners.
Musical Societies--Germania Maennerchor, meets every Tuesday at Germania Hall, N. Front St.; "Harmonie" Singing Society meets every Wednesday evening at Turner Hall, 91 S. Jefferson St.; St. Cecilia, meets every alternate Friday at 3 P.M. in St. Cecilia Bldg., 24 Ranson Street.; Schubert Club, meets every Monday from Oct. 1st to June 1st. At 8 P.M. in Evening Press Hall; Veteranen Liedertafel, meets every Friday evening at 22 Michigan Ave.
Newspaper and Periodicals--Daily News 11-15-17 Fountain St., Evening
Press, cor. E. Fulton and Sheldon Sts.; Grand Rapids Herald, 184-188 E. Fulton
St. , morning.
Semi-Weekly-De Standard (Holland), 133 Campau St.; Der Festschrift (German), 625 Robinson Ave.; Michigan Artisan, 108-110 N. Division St.
Weekly--Creston News, 206 lain field Ave.; DeGids (Holland), 21 Canal St.; Der Sonntagsbote (German), 67-69 Canal St.; Echo Tygodniowe (Polish), 192 4
Oldest House--The first house erected in Grand Rapids was that of Joel Guild built in 1833 where the Wonderly Building now stands.
Parcel Delivery Companies--Columbian Transfer Co., 15-19 N. Market St.
Parks--Value of Parks $433,900; area 218.08 acres.
John Ball--Is located at the westerly end of West Fulton St. between Sibley
and West Wealthy Ave. and extending west to the city limits. The original
park,40 acres, was bequeathed to the city by the late John Ball in 1869. Ares
now 137.41 acres.
Lincoln Park--Lying between W. Bridge St., Jackson St., Garfield Avenue and Marion St., was purchased in June, 1873 for $10,000. Area 3.58 acres.
Antoine Campau Park--Lying between S. Division St., S. Ionia St., Seventh Ave. and Eighth Ave. was given to the city by Martin A Ryerson of Chicago, July 10, 1899. Area 3.58 acres.
Monument Park--Lies between East Fulton St., S. Division St. and Monroe St. There is no record to show when it was acquired, but some time previous to 1850. Area.06 of an acre.
Fulton Street Park--Lying between east and West Park Sts., East Fulton St. and Park Place, was purchased from Louis and Sophia Campau Aug. 12, 1852 for $600. Area 1.65 acres.
Crescent Park--Is located on Bostwick St., between Lyon and Michigan Ave. Area .95 of an acre.
Highland Park--Lying north of the Grand Trunk Railway, between Grand Ave. and Union St., was purchased in 1873 for $1,200. Area 5 acres.
Lookout Park--Located at the northwest corner of Clinton and Newberry Sts., was purchased in 1893 from Mary E. Crosby for $4,500. Area, 1.81 acres.
Playgrounds--Located on Madison and Burton Aves., was donated to the city August 8, 1849 by Canton Smith. Area .11 of an acre.
State Street Park--Lying at the corner of State and Washington Sts. Was donated to the city August 8, 1849 by Canton Smith. Area .11 of an acre.
Foster Park--Lying at the corner of State and Cherry Sts. Was donated to the city August 8, 1849 by Canton Smith. Area .29 of an acre.
DeCommer Park--Lying on Third Ave. was declared a pulic park by ordinance January 29, 1900. Area one-tenth of an acre.
Hosken Park--Lies between Lake Ave., Cherry St. and Diamond St., and the records do not show when or how it was acquired. Area one-tenth of an acre.
Ellsworth Ave. Park--Is located on Market St. and Ellsworth Ave. Area .08 of an acre.
East Bridge Street Park--Located at Michigan and Coit Aves. Area .14 of an acre.
Mary Waters Field--Located on North Lafayette St., Legrand and North Aves. Was donated to the city by Dudley E. and Florence Hills Waters, January 28, 1907. Are 6 acres.
Baldwin Park--Located at Lake Ave. and East Fulton St., was donated to the city by Susan N. Baldwin, May 11, 1908. Area, one-tenth of an acre.
Coldbrook--Located on Coldbrook, Lafayette and Legrand St. Ten acres purchased July 26, 1875 for $15,000. Present area 14 acres.
Julius Houseman Field--Is located between Diamond, Houseman and Sophie Sts. And was donated to the city March 22, 1907, by Hattie Houseman Anberg, as a memorial to her father, Julius Houseman. Area 6 acres.
Fifth Avenue Park--Is located at Fifth Avenue and Fuller St. and was purchased by the city in 1906 for 1,350 as a site for a standpipe. Area 1 acre.
Pearl Park--Located at Walker Avenue, Seventh and Fremont Sts. Designated as a park by resolution July 22, 1895. Area one-tenth of an acre.
Coit Park--In the Black Hills. Given to the city by the Coit Estate in 1909. Area about 7 acres.
Parochial and Private Schools--Among the parochial and private schools
are the Roman Catholic Sacred Heart High School for girls, St. Andrew’s High
School for boys and ten Catholic parochial schools; Christian Reformed
Theological school and John Calvin, Jr. College; the Independent Free Schools
for Christian Instruction; German Lutheran parochial schools; the Grand Rapids
Medical and Veterinary College; two business university, the Powell-Eastman and
the Walbridge-Webb select schools.
The Roman Catholic lead in number of schools, teachers, pupils and value of school buildings.
The Y.M.C.A. has a system of night schools or classes, covering a great variety of subjects. It has about 200 students on its rolls.
Academies--The Webb Academy--Wm. E. Webb, Principal and director. 214 S. East St. Day school. Both boys and girls.
Sacred Heart Academy--69 Ramsom St. Opened 1900. 150 students last year. High School Course, English, Scientific, Commercial, Music. Girls. Only small boys allowed in Kindergarten. Girls boarded but not boys.
Miss Moffitt’s School--18 S. Lafayette St. 48 students. Kindergarten, Primary, Grammar and High School grades.
Mrs. Eastman’s Private School--110 Barclay St. High School grades and kindergarten.
Kindergarten--The Kindergarten Training School--Cor. Ionia and Fountain Sts.
Was established in 1891 by the Grand Rapids Kindergarten Association. The school
now has about three hundred alumni employed in all parts of the country. About
70 students. Principal, Miss Clara Wheeler.
Kindergarten Association--res. M. Clark Gleason;Sec., Miss Emma Field.
The following schools have kindergarten departments:--The Webb-Walbridge School--The Eastman, Private School--Miss Moffitt’s School.
Picnic Grounds--Reeds Lake, Manhattan; Jenison Park, Reached by Holland interurban; North Parl; John Ball Park.
Playground Association--Organized about a year ago. Re-organized on
May 7, 1910, when the campaign for an extension of our parks and playground
system started at a conference meeting of representatives of the Municipal
Affairs Committee of the Board of Trade and the District Organizations had
aroused renewed interest in the subject.
Membership $1.00 a year. Open to all residents of Grand Rapids. President, Charles W. Garfield: Secretary and Treasurer, Mrs. Clark Gleason, 390 Madison Avenue.
Police Department--The Grand Rapids police department is housed in a
substantial stone structure which it first occupied in July, 1891. The building
cost $54,000 and occupies a tract of ground at the corner of Crescent Ave. and
Harvey O. Carr has been superintendent for more than fourteen years.
Poor Farm--Three miles southeast of the city limits; contains 146 acres; about 300 inmates. Keeper of County Home, Wilmarth T. Shafer; County Superintendent of Poor:-- V.H. Billings, Omar H. Provin, James S. Toland.
Reading Rooms--First Church of Christ, cor. Washington and Lafayette Sts. Public Library and its branches; Bissell House; Ladies Literary Club; Y.M.C.A., Y.W.C.A.
Reeds Lake--An amusement park and lake about 3 ½ miles from the center of Grand Rapids. 25 minute ride on Wealthy-Taylor, Wealthy-Scribner and Cherry-Shawmut cars. It presents a great variety of attractions including figure eight, miniature railway, vaudeville in Ramona Pavilion, circle swing, mystic chutes, steamers, café, etc.
Secret Societies--The Masons are a large and powerful body. Others of prominenence are: Elks; A.O.H.; G.A.R.; I.O.F.; I.O.O.F.; Knights of Pythias; Knights of Honor; Knights of Columbus; K.O.T.M.M.; L.O..M.M.; Modern Woodmen of America; Woodmen of the World; National Protective Legion; New Era Association; Order of Owls; Royal Neighbors of America.
St. Cecilia Society--The St. Cecilia Society was organized in 1883 by
Mrs. Ella M. Pierce. The St. Cecilia building, erected in 1893, on Ransom
Street, enjoys the distinction of being the only musical club house in the world
to be built by women.
About 200 active members; 300 Associate members; 50 students. 12 men are members.
President, Mrs. F.M. Davis; Vice Presidents, Mrs. H. Parker Robinson, Mrs. Edward W. Tinkham; Recording Secretary, Mrs. L. Webb Banister; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. D. Wallace Giddings; Treasurer,. Mrs. Robert E. White.
Street Railway--Grand Rapids can boast of local car service that is
fully the equal of its fine outside transportation facilities.
The first ordinance to provide for a street railway was passed by the council May 19, 1864. The first cars ran May 10, 1865. The company was known until 1900 as The Consolidated Street Railway Company. In 1900 the road was sold out and became The Grand Rapids Railway Company, its present title. Shops at Hall St. barn. Office at 38 Ionia St.
Butterworth Avenue Line.
Carrier Street Line.
Cherry and Shawmut Avenue Line.
Division and Plainfield Avenue Line.
Michigan Avenue and Lyon Street Line.
Fifth Avenue and W. Leonard Street Line.
Grandville Avenue and W. Bridge Street Line.
Lafayette and Stocking Street Line.
Wealthy Avenue and Scribner Street Line
Wealthy Avenue and Taylor Street Line.
Telegraph Offices--Postal Telegraph-Cable Co., 27 Monroe St. Citizens
4315, Bell Main 66. Branches:-Michigan Trust Bldg., Ottawa St., Hawkins Bldg.,
South Ionia Street.
United Wireless Telegraph Co., 3
Telephones--Citizens Telephone Co., foot of Louis St.
Michigan State Telephone Co., Cor. Fountain & N. Ionia St.
Theaters--Few in number but usually have a large patronage. The season begins late in August and continues till May or June, when Ramona Pavilion opens. Garrick, (formerly the Grand) Canal St.; Majestic--28 N. Division St.; popular prices; plays change on Sundays and Thursdays; Powers, 59 Pearl St.; Temple, N. Market St.; Vaudeville, change every Monday.
Union Station--South Ionia St. Built of buff pressed brick and steel. Owned by Grand Rapids & Indiana Railway. Large steel train shed. It is used by the Grand Rapids & Indiana, Pere Marquette and Michigan Central Railroads. The building is an unusually handsome structure designed by Daniel H. Burnham, the great Chicago architect.
West Michigan State Fair--The first "West Michigan State Fair" was
held in the fall of 1902.
West Michigan State Fair have always been held at Comstock Park.
The fair grounds were a free gift of Hon. .C. Comstock to the Western Michigan Agricultural and Industrial Society about twenty years ago.
Women’s Organizations--The Ladies’ Literary Club is the oldest of its
kind in the city. It was founded by Mrs. Lucinda H. Stone, of
Kalamazoo.Established in 1873 and Mrs. L.D. Putman made its president. Clubhouse
on Sheldon street.
West Side Club was organized in 1875. Mrs. James E. Furman presented the building on Scribner street in 1902.
The Grand Rapids Woman’s Club is one of the four local organizations to own a club house. It is located on Cass Avenue and was built in 1897. The club was organized in 1890. The present membership is about 200.
Burton Heights Club was organized by a number of progressive women of the south end in 1902. Has many interesting meetings during the year.
St. Cecilia Society. [See St. Cecilia Society]
Among the Women’s Clubs of the city are:--
East Side Literary Club, meets every Tuesday at Woodman Hall, 662 Wealthy Avenue.
Froebel Club, meets every Monday at Kindergarten Association rooms, Shepard Bldg.
Grand Rapids Federation of Woman’s Club, meets third Thursday of each month at 49 Sheldon street.
Grand Rapids Woman’s Club, meets every Tuesday afternoon at lub house, 493 Cass Avenue.
Igdrasil Club, meets second, fourth and fifth Thursday of month, 95 Fairbanks street.
Ladies’ Home Circle, meets second Tuesday of May, August, November, and February at Holland Home, 345 Michigan Avenue.
West Side Ladies’ Literary Club, meets every Saturday in club rooms, 54 Scribner street.
Women’s University Club--Admission requirements same as those of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae. Membership 117. The club brings to Grand Rapids many prominent men and women to leaccture on subject of general interest.
Young Men’s Christian Association--Cor. Pearl and Ionia Streets.
The local Young Men’s Christian Association, like all great movements, started with a meager beginning. The Young men banded themselves together for christian service. They had no equipment, no rooms, no paid secretaries. They went to work among their fellows with the material they had. The result has eclipsed their most sanguine hopes. Today the association is spending $20,000 a year in current expenses, has a four story building and equipment to match and a building for the railroad men also. It has eight paid secretary, a membership of 1,200, a gymnasium with 500 men enrolled and a night school with 235 students.
Young Women’s Christian Association--Organized May 16, 1900. Located
at 23 Fountain Street.
Café in connection which is open from 11:30 A.M. to 1:30 P.M., 5:45 to 7 P.M. Sunday excepted.
1,300 members. $1.00 membership fee.
The reading and rest rooms are supplied with couches, easy chairs, books and magazines, and offer quiet and rest to all young women.
Every Sunday afternoon at 4:30 a vesper service is held, lasting one hour. At the close of the service tea is served, whereby an opportunity is given to welcome strangers and promote better acquaintance.
The only qualification for membership is good moral character.
Transcriber: Barb Jones
Created: 18 April 2009