Rev. Samuel Graves, D. D.
His Son, Dr. Schuyler Colfax Graves
REV. SAMUEL GRAVES, D.D., father of the subject, was born in New Hampshire
March 25, 1820, was educated at Madison university (now Colgate), Hamilton,
N.Y., and in early manhood entered the ministry of the Baptist church. For
about seven years he was in charge of a congregation at Ann Arbor, Mich., and
was then called to the Greek chair at Kalamazoo college, and it was during his
incumbency of this professorship that his son, Dr. Schuyler C. Graves, was born.
Rev. Samuel Graves was called from Kalamazoo to the pastorate of the Central
Baptist church of Norwich, Conn., where he officiated from 1859 to 1869, and in
that city the boyhood days of young Schuyler C. were passed. The Rev.
Samuel Graves next accepted a call to Grand Rapids, Mich., built the Fountain
Street Baptist church, and was its pastor from 1870 until 1885, and was called
to the presidency of the Atlanta Baptist Seminary at Atlanta, Ga., an
institution for the education of colored boys in theology and the liberal arts.
For nine years Dr. Graves acted as the president of, or professor of theology
in, this institution, and then returned to Grand Rapids in the fall of 1894, and
here, on January 17, 1895, ended his long and useful career in life.
MRS. MARY GRAVES, relict of Rev. Dr. Samuel Graves, is a direct descendant of the Schuylers and Colfaxes of New Jersey and is a member of the order of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Her family consists of two sons and two daughters. Of these, the eldest is MRS. HENRY H. BOWMAN, whose husband is a banker of Springfield, Mass.; the next in order of birth is MRS. LAWRENCE P. EDDY [MARY B.], whose husband is a prominent lawyer of Grand Rapids; the third is DR. SCHUYLER C., the subject proper of this article, and the youngest is WILLIAM COLFAX, one of the editors of the Chicago Tribune. Mrs. Graves, the mother of this family, is passing her declining years at the home of her son, Dr. Schuyler C.
There is a Cabinet Card photograph of Grand Rapids, MI, physician, SCHUYLER COLFAX GRAVES (1858-1941). This photograph came from the photograph album of fellow physician, DR. REYNOLD J. KIRKLAND (1856-1930), and Schuyler Graves has written on the reverse of the mount, ?Remember your old chum of happy High School and College years. - Schuyler C. Graves, Ann Arbor, May 5, 1879." Both men were in the Medical Department of the University of Michigan at that time.
DR. SCHUYLER COLFAX GRAVES, of Grand Rapids, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., March 6, 1858, a son of SAMUEL and MARY (WILLIAMS-BALDWIN) GRAVES.
Dr. Schuyler C. Graves came to Grand Rapids with his parents in January,
1870, and here graduated from the high school in 1877. He then entered the
literary department of the university of Michigan, took the freshman year, then
entered the medical department and completed a three-year course of studies in
1881. He was at once appointed assistant demonstrator of anatomy in the
university, but resigned his position at the close of a year to enter upon the
general practice of his profession at Charlevoix, Mich., where he enjoyed a good
practice form 1882 to 1885, and was for a portion of this period surgeon for the
Delaware copper mine, Lake Superior, and part of the time coroner of Charlevoix
In 1885, Dr. Graves came to Grand Rapids, and here for ten years devoted his attention exclusively to surgery. The year 1896 was passed by Dr. Graves abroad in visiting clinics, particularly those in London and Germany, and upon his return to America he took special courses in surgery in Philadelphia, and also under Dr. Charles McBurny, in New York city. June 4, 1898, he was appointed, by President McKinley, as major and brigade surgeon, to serve, during the recent war with Spain, in the First brigade, Third division, Fourth army corps, on the staff of Brig-Gen. Jacob Kline, and did duty at Tampa and Fernandina, Fla., and at Huntsville, Ala., and then, hostilities having come to a lull, was granted a leave of absence, after which he was honorably discharged from service.
Dr. Graves is one of the surgeons employed by the Michigan Central Railroad company; he has served two terms as county physician of Kent county; was professor of surgery in the Grand Rapids Medical college, but resigned at the close of the year 1898; is visiting surgeon to the Union Benevolent Association hospital, and has been lecturer on anatomy at the Union Benevolent Association hospital for training nurses ever since its establishment in 1887. The doctor has also served as president of the Grand Rapids academy of Medicine, and is a member of the local, the State and the National Medical societies; is also an honorary member of the Grand River Valley Medical association, the Detroit, Eaton and Barry county Medical associations, and the Northern Tri-State Medical society, to all of which he has contributed many valuable papers on the science and practice of medicine. He is also a member of the Alpha Delta Phi Peninsular chapter, and of the Sons of the American Rev!
olution. He is, beside, the author of the medical chapter in the History of Grand Rapids recently published by Albert Baxter, as well as of many interesting contributions to medical magazines and the public press. The doctor was also elected chairman of the surgical section of the Michigan State Medical society, and to the oratorship on surgery in the same.
Dr. Graves was united in marriage October 9, 1883, at St. Louis, Mo., to Miss ANNIE M. DRYDEN, youngest daughter of Hon. JOHN D.S. DRYDEN, ex-supreme court judge of the state of Missouri. After eighteen months of married life, he had the misfortune to lose his bride, who left behind, to grieve her sad departure, beside himself, an infant daughter?ANNIE DRYDEN--now a charming miss of fifteen years and an attendant at school in Grand Rapids.
The doctor's religious membership is with the church of which his father was the pastor for so many years--the Fountain street Baptist. In politics he is a stanch republican. --Taken from The City of Grand Rapids and Kent County, Mich., A.W. Bowen & Co., 1900. Pgs. 190-191
In the 1860 U.S. CENSUS for NORWICH, NEW LONDON CO., CT, is shown, SAMUEL GRAVES, 40, Baptist Clergyman (Born in NH) and MARY B., 36 (Born in NJ), with children: ELIZA B., 11 (Born in NY); MARY L., 9 (Born in MI) and SCHUYLER C., 2 (Born in MI). They have a domestic, Mary Rhine, 18 (Born in Ireland), living with them.
In the 1870 U.S. CENSUS for GRAND RAPIDS (Ward 3), KENT CO., MI, is shown, SAMUEL GRAVES, 50, Clergyman (Born in NH) and MARY, 45 (Born in NJ), with children: LIDA, 21 (Born in NY); MARY, 18 (Born in MI); SCHUYLER, 12 (Born in MI) and WILLIE, 8 (Born in CT). They have a domestic, Christine Muckler, 25 (Born in Prussia), living with them.
According to the CALIFORNIA DEATH INDEX, 1940-1997 Record, SCHUYLER C. GRAVES, born 6 Mar 1858, in Michigan, died 14 Jul 1941, Los Angeles, CA. His mother?s maiden name was BALDWIN.
NOTE: Fountain Street Church still exists but it is no longer Baptist.
In 1877, the only high school in Grand Rapids was Central which was on
Ransom Ave back then.
The Union Benevolent Hospital was a fore-runner of both Blodgett Hospital
(Spectrum East) and Mary Free Bed Hospital. The site of the UBH is now
occupied by Fountain Elementary School which used be around the corner on
Fountain Street where Central High School is now.
Created: 29 October 2006