This regiment, organized by Hon. F. W. Kellogg, at Grand Rapids, left its camp at that place on the 14th of November, 1861, and took its route to St. Louis. Its muster in roll contained 1,163 names, and its returns show that to the 1st of July there had belonged to it 1,200 officers and enlisted men. It was stationed during the winter at Benton Barracks, St. Louis, leaving there in March to take part in the operation at and about New Madrid and Island No. Ten. In May and June, it was at Farmington, Miss., and remained in that State until ordered to Louisville, in October. It has been actively employed in usual cavalry service, and has done a large amount of scouting and skirmishing. On the 31st of October, the regiment had an aggregate of 794, Its last communication to this department was dated at New Market, Ky., November 11.

During November, 1862, this regiment was stationed in Kentucky. In December and January it participated in the raid under Gen. Carter, into East Tennessee, severing the enemy’s communication and destroying his stores During this affair, which occupied twenty-two days, the regiment was engaged in several severe skirmishes. Soon afterward, it proceeded to Louisville, and from thence, February 3d, to Nashville, Tenn. During February and March, it was stationed at Murfreesboro and Franklin. It made many important reconnaissance on the roads leading out of these places,. And had numerous skirmishes with the rebels.

In February, it was engaged on the 18th, near Milton; on the 19th at Cainsville, and on the 27th, near Spring hill. On the 4th and 5th of March, it had a severe skirmish with the enemy, under Generals Van Dorn and Forrest, on the Columbia Pike, the regiment losing one killed, four wounded, and one captured. From thee 8th to the 12th, it participated in an important reconnaissance, during which the enemy were driven across Duck River. March 25th, it had a sharp encounter with a large force of rebels under Stearns and Forrest, killing and wounded a large number of the enemy, and capturing 52 prisoners and a number of wagons loaded with arms, ammunition and baggage, with a loss to the regiment of one died of wounds, six wounded and twom missing. On the 4th of June, while returning to Franklin from Trinne, it had a brisk skirmish, with a loss of two killed and three wounded. Marching to Trinne in the 6th, it remained at that point until the advance of the army from Murfreesboro, when it moved forward with the Cavalry Division to which it was attached. On the 23d, it was engaged at Rover. On the 24th, it drove the enemy through Middletown, and on the 27th, charged the rebels into Shelbyville. On the 2d of July, it aided in driving the enemy from Elk River Ford, and on the 3d, from Cowan. In the early part of September, the regiment was actively engaged in scouting, among the mountains near Chattanooga, and in northern Georgia. Leaving Rankin’ Ferry, on the Tennessee, October 3d, the regiment participated in the chase after the rebel cavalry under Gen. Wheeler, who were then engaged in making a raid on the communications of the army. During the pursuit of Wheeler, the regiment crossed the Cumberland mountains, marching on the 3d, 4th and 5th of October, 103 miles, and on the 6th, 7th and 8th, 82 miles, the greater portion of the distance over rough and mountainous roads. October 31st, the regiment was encamped at Winchester. During the year it has killed and disabled large number of the enemy, and captured many prisoners, horses, wagon, etc.

The regiment is in the 1st brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Army of the Cumberland.

At the commencement of the year, the Second Cavalry was encamped at Winchester, Tenn., whence it proceeded on a foraging expedition to Fayetteville, securing about 400 bushels of wheat, 65 head of beef cattle, between 500 and 600 sheep and a number of horses and mules. Leaving Winchester on the 16th, the regiment move, via Shelbyville, Murfreesboro and Milton, to Liberty, thence to Sparta, and over the Cumberland Mountains and through Crossville, Kingston and Knoxville, to Strawberry Plains, in East Tennessee, fording the Holston River, and arriving at its destination on the 17th of December. On the 23d, the regiment marched, via, New Market, to Dandridge, where, at daylight on the 24th, it participated in an attack on a superior force of the enemy. The fight lasted during the day, the Union forces falling back at night to New Market. The loss of the regiment was 2 killed, 8 wounded and 10 taken prisoners. On the 25th, the regiment encamped at Mossy Creek. It remained at and near this place until the 14th of January, 1864, having on the 29th of December a skirmish with the rebels, in which its casualties were 1 killed, 1 wounded and 2 taken prisoners. On the 14th of January, the regiment marched to Dandridge, and on the 17th skirmished with the enemy, who were advancing on Knoxville under Gen. Longstreet. On the 19th, the regiment fell back to Knoxville, and again crossing the Holston River, it bivouacked on the 23d on Flat Creek, and on the 26th on Pigeon River. Marching at midnight on the 26th, it participated in an attack the next day on a brigade of rebel cavalry, from whom it captured 3 pieces of artillery and 75 prisoners, the loss of the regiment being 11 wounded and 2 missing. On the 4th of March the regiment arrived at Calhoun, and on the 12th at Cleveland, Tenn. On the 29th of March, three hundred and twenty-eight of the regiment re-enlisted and were mustered in as veteran volunteers. On the 14th of April these veterans left Cleveland for Michigan, and on arrival at Jackson were furloughed for thirty days. Breaking camp at Cleveland on the 3d of May, the regiment moved with the army under Gen. Sherman on the Georgia campaign, and on the 11th marched through Tunnel Hill to Dug Gap. It passed through the Gap on the 13th, skirmishing with the enemy. On the following day, while in advanced, it lost in a skirmish, 1 killed and 3 wounded. The regiment constructed breast-works at Tilton on the 15th, but the next day it crossed the Coosa waters and continued the advance, arriving at Cassville Station on the 20th.On the 23d it forded the Etawah. In successive skirmishes it lost 2 men wounded on the 24th, 2 more on the 26th, and on the 27th it lost 1 wounded and 2 missing; 5 men were also wounded on the 28th. On the 2d and 5th the regiment skirmished with the enemy on the Ackworth and Dallas road, and on the 17th reached the summit of Lost Mountain. On the 29th of June the regiment moved by railroad to Franklin, Tenn., where it arrived on the 10th of July. It was here joined by the re-enlisted men who had returned to the State on veteran furlough. From the latter date to the 29th of August the regiment was employed in guarding the railroad from Nashville to Rutherford’s Creek, whence it marched to Nashville, and on the 30th moved out on the Murfreesboro road in pursuit of the forces under the rebel General Wheeler. Meeting the enemy twelve miles from Nashville, it charged and drove them several miles. From this time to the 8th of September the regiment was engaged in the pursuit of Wheeler’s forces, skirmishing with them near Campbellville on the 5th September. On the 7th, the regiment arrived at Florence, Ala., and again returned to Franklin on the 12th. On the 25th it started from Franklin in pursuit of the forces of Gen. Forrest, who was then engaged in a raid through Tennessee, and on the 27th engaged them during the day. The command marched via Connersville, Shelbyville and Tullahoma, to Winchester, thence by Normandy, Lewisburg, Shelbyville, Mooresville and Tallerea, to Florence, Ala. Where it arrived on the 5th of October. On the 7th, it engaged the enemy on Cypress River, losing 2 killed, 3 wounded and 1 taken prisoner. The regiment then marched by Pulaski, Rodgerville and Marmion, to four mile Creek, Ala. Where it encamped from the 17th to the 29th when the rebel army under Gen. Hood crossed the Tennessee. The regiment was engaged during the remainder of the month, with its brigade, in checking the rebel advances. On the 3d, it encountered the enemy, but was obliged to retire. On the 31st October the regiment marched to Sugar Creek. During the year the regiment marched over 1,364 miles, exclusive of marches when on picket and patrol duty.

The regiment was in the 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry, Division, Army of the Cumberland.

The regiment was serving in Tennessee, Oct. 31, 1864. On November 1st, it marched from Blue Waters towards Shoal Creek, Alabama, and was attached by the enemy at that point on the 5th, and after a gallant defense was forced back to Four Mile Creek, sustaining a heavy loss. From the 9th to the 14th, it was in camp ordinary scouting and picket duty. On the 15th it broke camp, and made a reconnaissance to the right of it position, and encamped at Taylor’s Springs, and remained there until the 20th, when it marched to Lexington, Tenn., and on the 21st to Lawrenceburg, where it was attacked by the enemy on the afternoon of that day, and fell back towards Campbellsville and near Columbia, skirmishing during the day at that place and at Betheda Church. On the 30th,m it was engaged at Franklin, fighting all day, sustaining a loss of one killed, seventeen wounded and three missing. The regiment marched from near Franklin, December 1st, to within a few miles of Nashville, and was in line of battle during the night. On the 2d, passed through that city, crossing the Cumberland river, went into camp at Edgefield, and remained there until the 12th, when it re-crossed the Cumberland, passing through Nashville, and encamped on the Charlotte Pike. On the 15th it advanced about two miles, dismounted and skirmished during that day and the next; at sunset mounted and proceeded in the direction of the Harpeth River, swimming that stream, and thence marching to Spring Hill. Crossing Duck River on the 23d, and passing through Columbia, on the 24th it met the enemy at Richland Creek, and fought him all day, charging and driving him sixteen miles, losing one killed and si wounded; skirmishing at Pulaski on the 25th, and at Sugar Creek on the 26th, passing Taylor’s Spring in the 28th, reaching Waterloo on the 31st, remaining there until the 17th January, 1865, when it broke camp, crossing the Tennessee River, and passing through Eastport, Iuka and Burnsville, Miss., taking six prisoners; thence proceeded to Corinth and Farmington on the 19th, and returning via Iuka, taking five prisoners; and thence via Eastport, crossing the Tennessee river, reached Waterloo on 21st, and remained there until March 11th, when breaking camp, it re-crossed the Tennessee river, marched to Chickasaw, Ala. And wass there in camp until 22d, when it again broke camp, passing through Frankfort and Russellville on the 24th, crossed Big Ford Creek on the 25th, reaching Eldridge on the 26th, passed Jasper and crossed the Mulberry river on the 29th, and Black Warrior river on the 29th, and on the 30th reached Elyton. Crossed Black Warrior again on April 1, at Johnston’s Ferry, swimming the horses. Skirmished with the enemy on the 2d, at Trion, and on the 3d aarrived at Tuscaloosa, surprising and taking prisoners the pickets, capturing the city, three cannon, and taking a large number of prisoners. After destroying a large number of buildings containing rebel stores, and burning the bridge, the regiment marched to Bridgeville, where it was attacked on the 6th, and after a brisk engagement, with a loss of three wounded, repulsed the enemy. Continuing the march towards Northport, passed it and Windham’s Springs. On the 13th, crossed Wolf Creek; on the 14th, Lost Creek and Black Water; on the 19tth, Black Warrior, and the Coosa at Luff’s Ferry; on the 22d, reaching Talladaga. Skirmished with Gen. Hill’s brigade on the 23d, losing two killed, and taking one piece of artillery. Crossed a branch of the Talladaga on the 24th, and the Tallapoosa on the 25th, passing through Bowden, Ga. Crossing the Chattahoochie on the 26th, and marching, via Neroman and Forsyth, arriving, May 1st, at Macon, where it remained in camp until July 17th, when the regiment was broken up into detachments, which were sent to garrison Perry, Thomaston, Barnsville, Forsyth and Milledgeville, two companies, with the headquarters, remaining at Macon. On the 17th of August it was mustered out of service, and arrived in the State August 26th, and was paid off and disbanded at Jackson.

Location Date

Point Pleasant, Mo. March 9, 1862
Tiptonville, Mo. March 9, 1862
New Madrid, Mo. March 13, 1862
Island No. 10, Mo. March 14, to April 7, 1862
Pine Hill, Miss. May 2, 1862
Monterey, Miss. May 3, 1862
Farmington, Miss. May 5, 1862
Siege of Corinth, Miss. May 10 to 30, 1862
Boonville, Miss. June 1, 1862
Blackland, Miss. June 5, 1862
Baldwin, Miss. June 5, 1862
Boonville, Miss. July 1, 1862
Reinzi, Miss. Aug. --, 1862
Perryville, Ky. Oct. 8, 1862
Harodsburg, Ky. Oct. 10, 1862
Lancaster, Ky. Oct. 12, 1862
Rocastle River, Ky. Oct. --, 1862
Estillville, Va. 1862
Blountsville, Tenn. 1862
Zollicoffer, Tenn. 1862
Wattanaga, Tenn. 1862
Jonesville, Va. 1862
Bacon Creek, Ky. Dec. 24, 1862
Glasgow, Ky. Dec. --. 1862
Milton, Tenn. Feb. 18, 1863
Cainesville, Tenn. Feb. 19, 1863
Spring Hill, Tenn. Feb. 29, 1863
Columbia, Tenn. March 4,5, 1863
Hillsboro, Tenn. March 12, 1863
Brentwood, Tenn. March 25, 1863
McGarvick’s Ford, Tenn. April, 1863
Triune, Tenn. June 4, 1863
Rover, Tenn. June 23, 1863
Middletown, Tenn. June 24, 1863
Shelbyville, Tenn. June 27, 1863
Elk River Fork, Tenn. July 2, 1863
Dechard, Tenn. July 4, 1863
Chickamauga, Tenn. Sept. 18,19,20, 1863
Anderson X Roads, Tenn. Oct., 1863
Sparta, Tenn. Dec., 1863
Dandridge, Tenn. Dec. 24, 1863
Mossy Creek, Tenn. Dec. 29, 1863
Dandridge, Tenn. Jan. 17, 1864
Pigeon Creek, Tenn. Jan. 27, 1864
Dug Gap, Ga. May 13,14, 1864
Red Clay, Ga. May, 1864
Ettowa River, Ga. May 24, 27, 28, 1864
Ackworth, Tenn. June 2,5, 1864
Nashville, Tenn. Aug. 30, 1864
Campbellsville, Tenn. Sept. 5, 1864
Franklin, Tenn. Sept. 27, 1864
Cypress River, Tenn. Oct. 7, 1864
Raccoon Ford, Tenn. Oct. 30, 1864
Shoal Creek, Tenn. Nov. 5, 1864
Lawrenceburg, Tenn. Nov. 21, 1864
Campbellsville, Tenn. Nov. 24, 1864
Columbia, Tenn. Nov. 25,26,27, 1864
Spring Hill, Tenn. Nov.29, 1864
Bethesda Church, Tenn. Nov. 29, 1864
Franklin, Tenn. Nov. 30,1864
Nashville, Tenn. Dec. 15,16, 1864
Richland Creek, Tenn. Dec. 24, 1864
Pulaski, Tenn. Dec. 25, 1864
Sugar Creek, Tenn. Dec. 26, 1864
Priceton Yard, Tenn. Jan. 6, 1865
Corinth, Miss. Feb. 1865
Tuscaloosa, Ala. April 1, 1865
Trion, Ala. April 2, 1865
Bridgeville, Ala. April 6,1865
Talladaga, Ala. April 23, 1865

Transcriber: Barb Jones
Created: 2 June 2010