The twenty-First had its rendezvous at Ionia, and was recruited from the Fourth District comprising the counties of Barry, Ionia, Montcalm, Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon, Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Mason, Manistee, Grand Traverse, Leelanaw, Manitou, Osceola, Emmet, Mackinac, Delta, and Cheboygan. J.B. Welch, Esq., was appointed commandant of camp. Thee regiment left its quarters on the 12th of September, 1008 strong, with orders to report at Cincinnati. It was immediately pushed into Kentucky, and on the 8th of October bore part in the engagement at Perryville, suffering in casualties, 24 wounded (1 mortally) and 3 missing. On the 30th of November, the regiment returned an aggregate of 971, present and absent. It was reported in 1862 at Nashville, in Gen. Rosecran’s army.

This regiment arrived at Nashville, November 10th, 1862, and remained at that place until the general advance of Gen, Rosecran’s army on Murfreesboro. The Twenty-first left Nashville December 26th, with the army, and participated in thee five days’ battle at Stone River. It sustained a loss in this engagement, of 17 killed, 85 wounded, and 37 missing; a total of 139. The regiment remained at Murfreesboro, employed on picket duty, and as guard for forage trains, until June 24th, when it advanced with the army on Tallahoma. During July it was stationed at Cowan and Anderson Station, on the Nashville and Cumberland railroad. Subsequently, it occupies Bridgeport, under Gen. Lyttle, who commanded the brigade to which the Twenty-first was attached. September 2d, the regiment crossed the Tennessee, and advanced with the corps of Maj. Gen. McCook, to Trenton, Ga. From whence made a forced march toward Chattanooga, between the mountain ranges, and came into line of battle at Chickamauga, September 19th. The following day the regiment participated in the battle of Chickamauga, sustaining a loss of killed,11, wounded 58, missing 35, prisoners 3; total, 107. Of the missing 21 were known to be wounded. Among the wounded and captured was the colonel of the regiment, while the second in command was killed. After the battle, the regiment moved into Chattanooga.

At the battle of Chickamanga, the regiment was in the 2d Division, 4th Corps. It has since been detached, and forms part of the Engineer Brigade, under command of Gen. Smith, Chief Engineer of the Army of the Cumberland.

This regiment was attached, after the battle of Chattanooga, to the Engineer Brigade. It was stationed, until the 11th of June, 1864, on the north side of the Tennessee river, near Chattanooga, and was employed in building a bridge over the river, and in the erection of storehouses in Chattanooga, At the above date, the regiment was ordered to Lookout Mountain, where it was engaged in building hospitals, running mills, and in the performance of the usual picket duty with the Engineer Corps. On the 27th of September, the regiment left Lookout Mountain for Tullahoma, thence it proceeded to Nashville. Joining the forces under Gen, Rousseau, it participated with them in the pursuit of the rebels under Gen. Forrest, beyond Florence, Ala., returning to Florence on the 11th of October. On the 14th the regiment was ordered to Chattanooga, and on the 18th to proceed to and garrison Dalton, Ga. On the 30th of October, the regiment was relieved at Dalton, and was ordered to join its corps. During the year it has traveled between 480 and 500 miles.

The regiment is in the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 14th Corps Army of the Cumberland.

Transcriber: Barb Jones
Created: 2 June 2010