Young Women's Christian Association
The Young Women's Christian Association of Grand Rapids had its beginnings in what was known as the Woman's Gymnasium and Noon Rest, which carried on for five years before the formal organization of the Y.W.C.A. Among those most active in the gymnasium and noon rest work were Mrs. Clay H. Hollister, Mrs. George Wanty, Mrs. N. A. Fletcher, Miss Ellen Dean and Dr. Elizabeth Earle. The "Y" was formed May 16, 1900, its first president being Miss Eva Daniels. Its first home was on the upper floors of the present Association of Commerce building. It moved to the White block on Monroe avenue, next in 1907 to the Shepard building, Fountain street and Ionia avenue.
In February, 1920, under the general chairmanship of William H. Gay, a campaign for funds for constructing permanent quarters resulted in subscriptions totaling $568,000. The present attractive home at Sheldon avenue and Weston street was built, and dedicated April 7, 1922.
The 1926 officers are: Mrs. A. LeGrande Albee, president; Miss Josephine Bender, vice-president; Mrs. C. N. Remington, treasurer; Miss Adah C. Canfield, recording secretary; Mrs. Frank G. Deane, corresponding secretary. Glendon A. Richards is president and Noyes L. Avery secretary-treasurer of the board of trustees. Every year the public contributes liberally to the maintenance fund.
Document Source: Etten, William J., A Citizens' History of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Published by A. P. Johnson for the Campau Centennial Committee, 1926.
Transcriber: Ronnie Aungst
Created: 10 December 1999