First Reformed Church
1859 - 1959
The past months have been arduous at time, but as a whole, most satisfying. In our quest for historical data we have come upon many interesting facts about our church's past. Research of this nature is rewarding.
The happenings of 100 years in the life of any church would fill many pages, therefore in preparing this book the committee has merely touched upon the highlights as recorded through the years. It has been our purpose to produce an informative book that would give much pleasure in its perusal, not only for the present, but also in the years to come.
In gathering data and in writing and rewriting the contents, it is possible we have omitted some important facts, and names of some who deserve honorable mention. If so, rest assured it was unintentional; and it is hoped our shortcomings will be overlooked. In no way have we deliberately minimized the contribution of anyone; and the data have been authenticated insofar as it was possible to do so.
The committee expresses sincere appreciation to all who have so kindly assisted us in publishing this book by contributing information and loaning pictures, also in planning and presenting our Dedication and Centennial observances.
Centennial 1859 - 1959
Grandville, Michigan was one of the first places to be settled by the whites in the Grand River Valley, and it became the nucleus of the Wyoming settlement. In 1821, Rix Robinson, the first American settler in this region, purchased a fur trading post near Ada; in 1826 Rev. Isaac McCoy established a Baptist mission in Grand Rapids, near what is now the corner of Bridge street and Front avenue; in 1827 Louis Campau established a fur trading post in Grand Rapids, near the mission; in 1829 Daniel Marsac settled in Lowell as a trader; and in 1830 Edward Robinson came to Ada.
In the fall of 1832 four men came down the Grand River in search of a site for a future community; Amos Gordon, Robert Howlett, Luther Lincoln and Stephen Tucker. They stopped here at Grandville because the Indian corn fields, planted in the natural clearing caused by centuries of river action, appeared to be essentially ideal, as it was fertile, level, open land; and the tract provided good grass for cattle, good drinking water, readily accessible timber and water transportation. Grandville was known then as 'Little Prairie', and the area had been inhabited by Indians of the Ottawa and Chippewa (or Otchipwe) tribes. At least two of the homes near the river still being occupied were once log cabins housing Indians. The Indians' burial mounds can still be seen near the river a considerable distance east of Grandville.
In 1833 Mr. Lincoln purchased the Grandville site; and this is considered the year that civilized men took possession of the Valley. The first house of any description was Mr. Lincoln's log shack in which he spent his first winter; and the first house suitable to live in was Mr. Tucker's built in 1833. Mr Lincoln brought five yoke of oxen with him , and in the spring of 1833 was the first man in all Kent County to turn the soil with a plow and raise corn that summer. That same year Jonathan Chubb, Joseph Copeland, William Godwin, Gideon and James Gordon, Myron Roys, George Thompson and Henry West moved to the area.
The year 1834 brought several others, among them Hiram, Lucius and Luman Jenison. In 1835 others came, among them Charles Oakes, the first Grandville merchant. In 1836 80 acres were platted for a future village. This was in the vicinity of the present Oakes and White streets. Lots were sold to builders for $25, likely in order to increase housing facilities rapidly; and they were sold to others probably for speculation, for $100. In 1835 a Methodist Episcopal mission was established in the Grand River territory extending from Grandville to Portland, and Rev Osband Monette was appointed circuit preacher for this area. The first Methodist Episcopal church in this region was erected in Grand Rapids in 1843. In 1838 Rev. James Ballard organized a Congregational Society in Grandville.
In 1847 about 15 young people came from the colony at Holland to find work in this community; and Sunday services were held under the leadership of a Mr. Lagerweg and Jan Roest. The services likely were held in the homes. In the next two years, 1848 and 1849, the first Holland families settled in this area, among them the Andres, Sietse Bos, Uelke De Vries, Boele Hamminga, the Mekkeses, the Minderhouts, Albert Oostland, the Sterrenbergs and Siert VanderVeen. It is certain that the little colony's beginning was a combination of disappointments, trials, and sacrifices, for during 1849 it suffered severely when 19 of its number died of cholera; but thanks to God's grace and our fathers' implicit consecration, they did not deter, but adjusted themselves to circumstances with resignation and peace of mind.
The first organization of the Reformed Church in Grandville was recorded in 1849, when the Rev. Seine Bolks of Overisel and the Rev. Martin Ypma of Vriesland were appointed by the Holland Classis to organize the church. The congregation numbered approximately 50 members - adults and children. Chosen as a consistory were Uelke De Vries and T. Sterrenberg, elders; and Mr Andree and Mr Minderhout, deacons. It is not known where the organization took place, nor where services were held.
In 1854 the church merged with Second Reformed church of Grand Rapids, whose minister was the Rev. H.G. Klyn, (The First and Second Reformed churches of Grand Rapids merged in 1918 to become the present Central Reformed.) This status continued until 1859, when the present church was reorganized; and it is this year from which the anniversaries are counted.
Grandville First Reformed claims distinction in being one of the pioneer Reformed churches away from the Lake Michigan coast and outside the original migrating churches. Only Grand Rapids First Reformed (1840) and Second (1849), and Kalamazoo First (1851) antedate this church; thus from the days of early pioneering to the present day of intensive industry and business, Grandville First Reformed church has carried the glorious banner of our Lord and His Gospel.
April 13, 1859 is the date of the reorganization, which took place in the schoolhouse, which was located on the southeast corner of Franklin avenue and Oakes street. This organization was under the leadership of a committee from the Holland Classis, the Revs. Cornelius VanderMeulen and Andrian Zwemer. Eleven communicant members were received by membership transfer from other churches; 21 members were received on profession of faith in Jesus Christ, and 46 adults and children were received as baptismal members from other churches; thus the communicant members numbered 32, and baptismal members 46, for a total of 78 members. The 32 charter members were - by membership transfer: Johannes Albrechtse, Miss Jocomina De Boe, Hendrick De Ruiter, Johannes Kaboord, Gerrit Jansen Mulder, Johannes Schnitzler, Miss Dina Schuppers, Miss Christina B. Smits, Johan Theodore Sterrenberg, Miss Cornelia Van Loo and Miss Grietje Venekamp; and on profession: Mrs Sietse Box (nee Teetje Trompe), Willem Borst, Willem De Jong, Mrs Willem De Jong (Maria), Mrs Grietje (Borgman) Lanning, Klaas Theodore Mekkes, Mrs Annigje (Boor) Mekkes, Dingeman Minderhout, Marinus Minderhout, Mrs Marinus Minderhout (nee Cornelia De Boe), Klaas Oosterhuis, Mrs Klaas Oosterhuis (Jantje VanLiele), Gerrit Jan Sikking, Jacob Sterrenberg, Willem Sterrenberg, Mrs Gaaije Vander Veen (Jantje Oostland), Peter Van Dyke, Abraham Ver Strate, Jan Vinkemulder, Mrs Jan Vinkemuller (Margariete Borrendamme), and Jan Vieringa. The elders elected at this time were Johannes Kaboord and Johan Theodore Steerrenberg; and the decons, Gerrit Jansen Mulder and Johannes Schnitzler.
In 1860 the congregation purchased the first part of its present property, one acre on Wilson avenue, for $100; the in 1861 built its first church, a frame structure, 30 by 50 feet in size. In 1909, when a new church was to be erected in its place, this building was sold to the village for $425, and was moved to the west side of the street where the city offices are now located. The congregation was given the privilege of using it until the new church was ready; then it was used as the town hall, with a jail in the basement. It was razed in 1929.
In 1862 the congregation extended a call to the Rev. Johannes Vander Meulen to become its pastor, but this call was declined.
In 1865 the first parsonage was built - a two-story frame house with a one-story wing. In 1897, when a new parsonage was to take its place, it was sold for $150, and moved to East Prairie street. It is now owned by children of Mrs. William Bruin and the late Mr. Bruin.
In 1869 the Holland Classis, of which Grandville First Reformed was a member at that time, transferred six churches for the purpose of organizing the Grand River Classis. Those churches were Muskegon, Grand Haven, Polkton (now Coopersville), Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids Second and Grandville First. In 1923 reorganization and realignment of the Classis' boundaries occurred. That brought into being the Grand Rapids Classis, with 23 member churches, of which Grandville First was one. In 1954 the Grand Rapids Classis was divided into two - the North and South Classes. Grandville First is now one of 18 member churches in the South Classis.
Ministers of the Holland Classis supplied the pulpit of this church until April 1867, when the Rev. Mannes Kiekintveld accepted a call and became the first pastor. He served until April 1870.
The second pastor, the Rev. Willem P. De Jonge, served the church from July 1871 until this death in August 1887. He was buried in Wyoming township cemetery. In 1874 the congregation bought its next piece of property, one acre with frontage on Church avenue, from Rev. and Mrs. De Jonge for $130.
The next two ministers were father - and son-in-law; the Revs Roelof Duiker and Peter A.J. Bouma. Rev Duiker was pastor from January 1888 to December 1889. It was during this time that an organ was first used in the services. This one was a small reed variety. In March 1888 the Sunday school was organized by Elder George Vander Velde. He served as its superintendent for 20 years; also as elder for 25 years. (He was a member of the Grandville school board for 21 years.) The Sunday school had 50 members at its beginning, and two of its first members served as secretary for many years: John Huizenga, Sr and Abraham A. VerStrate, known to many besides his relatives as 'Uncle Abe'. The teaching was done in the Holland language for on a short time.
Rev. Bouma was the minister from June 1890 to September 1891.
The church's fifth pastor was the Rev. Dirk Broek - May 1892 until November 1903, the time of his death. In 1894 he revised the first register of church membership. The Broek's sons Albertus T. and John Y. Broek entered the gospel ministry and both acquired the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity. Last November the latter Dr. Broek retired at 78 years of age after completing 55 years in the ministry, the last 50 as pastor of Trinity Reformed church, Plainfield, New Jersey. He is now serving that church as pastor emeritus. In 1897 the second parsonage, a ten-room, two-story frame house was built at a cost of $1,400. This building is to be taken down soon.
It is noted from the consistory minutes of the early days that the annual congregational meetings were held on Thanksgiving Day; also that consistory meetings were held on schedule, irregardless of whether that day was a national holiday.
The next minister, the Rev. John Ossewaarde, served May 1904 - December 1907. In 1907 it was voted to hold an English service the first Sunday evening of each month. Also in 1907 the church and parsonage were wired for electricity. The Ossewaardes' daughter Hester, with her husband, the Rev. Henry G. Bovenkerk, served an unfinished term as missionary to Japan, until World War II forced her return.
The Rev. Martin C. Ruisaard was pastor from June 1908 to September 1910. When he was called the consistory decided that the church should become self-supporting; and a salary of $700 a year was pledged Rev. Ruisaard. Before this the pastors' salaries were paid by the Reformed Church Domestic Mission Board, supplemented by whatever the members could give - whether cash, or fruits, vegetables, halves and quarters of beef and pork, etc. In 1908 more English services were added - every other Sunday evening.
In June 1909, the 50th anniversary year, construction was begun on a new church edifice. This was of brick veneer, 45 by 65 feet outside measurements, and was the west one-half of the building which will soon be razed. The cornerstone was laid August 31, 1909. The Revs. Albertus T. and John Y. Broek participated in the ceremony, and Jan Vinkemulder, a charter member, who has served in the consistory for many years, assisted Rev. Ruisaard in settling the stone. (He also helped to build the first church.) A box placed behind the cornerstone contained copies of the Grandville News of August 17, 1909, Evening Press of August 31, 1909, Intelligencer-Leader of August 11, 1909, De Hope of August 31, 1909; a souvenir of an old settlers' fest at Zeeland; a statement of organization; names of current members, consistory members, building committee, contractors and architect; photos of Rev. Dirk Broek, Rev and Mrs Ruisaard, the first church building and the parsonage built in 1897, a statement, regarding ministers who had served the church, and sons of the church in full-time Christian service; and one 1909 Lincoln penny. The cost of the church was approximately $8,500. Those on the building committee were Dr. Jacob D. Broek (another son of Rev. Dirk Broek), chairman; Jacob Bouwman, Renger Doornbos, William Johnson and Henry Kroodsma. George Vander Velde was building fund treasurer. Albert Balkema and Andrew Retan were the general contractors, and Osgood and Osgood the architects. A group of young men did the landsacaping. Dedication took place April 20, 1910, with a Holland service in the afternoon, and an English service in the evening. Mrs Ruisaard and Miss Ranskie Kelder took part in this service in presenting a vocal duet. November 1910 records the death of George Vander Velde at 62 years of age.
The eighth minister, the Rev. William Moerdyk, D.D., served this church, which was his last, from July 1911 to December 1913. Dr. Moerdyk was one of seven members of the pioneer class of Hope College who desired to enter the Christian ministry after graduating; hence they petitioned RCA's General Synod to establish theological instruction in connection with the college. Synod acknowledged the need and granted the request; consequently Dr. Moerdyk was also a member of the pioneer class of Western Theological Seminary. He was a member of Hope College Council almost since his graduation, and was president of that body for many years. The honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred upon him by the Council. The Moerdyks' son William and James dedicated their lives to Christian service as missionaries to Arabia. Dr. William Moerdyk was compelled to return to this country due to illness, and he is now practicing medicine in Holland, Michigan. Rev. James Moerdyk is deceased. In March 1912 Jan Wieringa, a charter member, who had served as elder for 35 years, passed away at the age of 68. He was the father of Mrs. T. K. Mekkes and John Wierenga, currently members of this church.
The next pastor (January 1914 to June 1915) was the Rev. Cornelius VanderSchoor. He made the second revisIon of the church membership register in 1914. After that some of the records of membership prior to 1894 were destroyed by fire; however the consistory minutes from 1862, likely the first that were written, are intact and being preserved. During Rev. VanderSchoor's tenure as pastor the afternoon service was changed from the Holland to the English language, to give the younger people of the congregation a better opportunity to be edified by the service.
The next minister was the Rev. Jacob G. Brouwer, who served from June 1916 until June 1919. In 1916 Freerk Bonthuis, who had served as elder for about 24 years, passed away at 75 years of age. He was known expressly from his words of comfort and hand of cheer offered those who were going through times of need and distress. At one time he served as custodian; and one pastor occasionally found him kneeling in prayer in the church before the morning worship service. A profound revival of about six weeks' duration was held in January and February of 1917, under the leadership of the three Grandville pastors: The Rev Wm. M. P. Jerrett of the Methodist church, the Rev. Frank Fulkerson of the Congregational church, and Rev. Brouwer. Services were held every night except Saturday and Sunday in the Reformed church. A Mr. Thomas was song leader, and Mrs. Thomas, solOist. The choirs of the three churches combined to sing special numbers, and the three ministers preached the sermons. Many were confirmed in their faith in Jesus Christ; and accessions to the Reformed church numbered 65 communicant members, and to the Sunday school, 55 members. In April 1919 the consistory minutes were first written in the English language.
The eleventh pastor, The Rev. Bart R. Van Zyl, served from March 1920 to May 1923. He helped to consolidate the gains that had been made, and the attendance at the Sunday services increased so greatly that the church was crowded to capacity in the afternoon. The congregation felt that to alleviate the crowded condition they should add to the building, but thought it unfeasible to do so at that time. In October 1921 Jan Vinkemulder passed away at 95 years of age. In 1920 the women of the church were asked to decide whether they would like to right to vote at congregational meetings. They voted against this, 50 to 46. In 1923 this matter was again presented, and a congregational vote of 39 to 22 granted the women this privilege. Rev. VanZyl's death in May 1949, at the age of 64, terminated his pastorate at Hollandale, Minnesota. The VanZyls' son Robert J. is presently pastor of Rehoboth Reformed church, Lucas, Michigan.
The next pastor was the Rev. Gerrit J. Hekuis, who served this church ten and one-half years, beginning October 1923. In 1925 the church auditorium and basement were enlarged. During construction the morning and evening services were held in the older part of the building, but the afternoon service, having the largest attendance, was held in the Methodist church. The approximate cost of this addition plus equipment was $30,000. Gerrit Zuidema, chairman, William Datema, Nicholas Osterink Sr., Gerard Stelma and Abraham G. VerStrate comprised the building committee. Peter J. Hoekzema was building fund treasurer, George Hoekzema the general contractor, and Harvey Weemhoff the architect. Dedication took place September 17, 1925. Rev. Jacob G. Brouwer, a former pastor, and Dr. John A. Dykstra participated in the service. In April 1925 William Johnson passed away. He was 52. He had served as deacon and usher for many years.
In November 1925 it was decided to have an English service every Sunday evening. In 1927 the young people purchased an Estey organ at a cost of $5,000. In 1929 the decision was made to reverse the services - to have the Holland service in the afternoon, and an English service and Sunday school in the morning. In 1929 Hope College Council conferred upon Rev. Hekuis the Doctor of Divinity degree, and in 1931 he was elected vice president of General Synod of the Reformed Church in America. We note here the passing away of Peter Zwyghuizen in October 1931, at 56 years of age. He had served as consistory man for a number of years. The congregation voted in November 1933 to discontinue the Holland services entirely.
In April 1934 the church's 75th anniversary was commemorated - in an afternoon service with former ministers Revs Cornelius Vander Schoor and Bart R. VanZyl taking part, and in an evening service when Rev. Jacob G. Brouwer gave an address, and the Rev Raymond Drukker brought greetings from the Grand Rapids Classis, of which he was president. Dr. Hekhuis resigned his pastorage in June 1934 because of ill health; and in a printed farewell message he exhorted each member of the congregation thus: "Remember your high calling, and let your faith lead to a surrendered life." Dr. Hekhuis died at his home in Holland, Michigan in August 1940 at 80 years of age. The Hekhuis' son Lambertus served almost seven years as missionary to India, returned because of illness, and is now serving as dean at a Christian college in Kansas.
The Rev. Jacob Blaauw became the minister of this church in October 1934, and left in November 1942. During these years the congregation practically doubled its membership to about 1000, including communicant and baptismal members. Soon after the Rev. Blaauw came he innovated the use of a weekly bulletin, giving it the name it still has, "The Messenger." In August 1936 John Huizenga, a consistory man for a number of years, was taken by death, age 72. In 1937 Rev. Blaauw copied the church register into a loose-leaf record book. Soon after that secretarial help was given the pastor; also a church library was started, which now contains approximately 1000 books.
In April 1939 the 80th anniversary of the church was observed in a program which included a mortgage-burning ceremony. Seventy-five-year-old 'Uncle Abe' VerStrate took part in this by putting the lighted match to the mortgage. July 1941 records the death of a faithful church member and civic leader, Peter J. Hoeksema, known to members of the congregation and Grandville citizens as 'P.J' He was 65 years old. He had served in the consistory for about 30 years, was one of the youngest ever having been elected as elder, and he was vitally interested in missions. He had the superintendency of the Sunday school for 15 years, and taught the Ladies Bible class for many years. (He had served on the board of trustees of the Holland Home, and was on the local school board for many years. He had been treasurer and later president of Grandville, and was a prominent businessman.) In 1942 a church nursery was established; also the church's first membership directory was published. The Blaauw's daughter Jacqueline and her husband, Dr Bernard Draper, are serving as Reformed Church missionaries in Southeast Arabia.
The Rev. James M Harmeling, B.PH., served the church from November 1943 to November 1945. He was a grandson of a format pastor, Dr. William Moerdyk. In 1944 the church held its first Vacation Bible school, under the auspices of the Sunday school, and this has been conducted every year since its inception. Late in 1945 the church purchased the property to the north on which the old Vinkemulder home stood. This was bought primarily in view of future expansion, also to prevent the property being occupied by a business of an undesirable nature. The house was used for Sunday-school classes, etc. Later the north 40 feet of the property was sold, then after the house had been moved, the rest was converted into a parking lot which was needed on Sunday, and which the city maintains for the publics use. First and Eighth Reformed churches jointly sponsored a Church Extension project in the Clyde Park - South Beltline area late in 1945. This was destined to become Faith Reformed church.
Early in 1946 First Reformed became a 100 percent subscriber to the Reformed Church publication, The Church Herald. Noted here is the passing away of Peter Kelder, Sr. in June 1946, at 74 years of age. He was an elder for a number of years prior to 1936.
The 15th and present pastor, the Rev. Henry J. Ten Clay. B.D., came in September 1946. In November of that year the congregation voted to have the second Communion service at 2:30 in the afternoon instead of during the evening service. In the five years prior to July 1947 the congregation had grown to a membership of about 1100, including communicant and baptismal members. In 1947 a two-fold project was begun in co-operation with the American Sunday-school Union - conducting Sunday school classes at Grattan and Smyrna, small towns northeast of Grand Rapids. Seed was sown, and at both places evangelical churches have grown out of those efforts. In December 1947 Abraham A. VerStrate, aged 84, was called by his Maker. In June 1948 a daughter church, Olivet Reformed, was organized because of crowded conditions at First church. Fifty-one families transferred their memberships to Olivet at that time, and during the next few months 13 more families transferred. In 1949 a congregational vote of 174 to 12 defeated a proposal to merge with the United Presbyterian denomination.
The 90th anniversary of First Reformed church was observed the evening of Thanksgiving Day 1949 because the actual date, April 13, conflicted with Easter that year. Former pastors Revs. Jacob G. Brouwer and Jacob Blaauw brought greetings and reminisced on the church's past, and home talent was presented. The program was followed by a fellowship period. Early in 1951 First and Olivet churches jointly began a Church Extension project in the Standale community, which developed into Standale Reformed church.
Sunday-school facilities had become acutely inadequate; and inasmuch as their parsonage was getting old, the congregation decided that it should be replaced with a new one, and the old one used for classrooms. It was also used for other gatherings, and the pastor's study and secretary's office were retained there until the present church was erected. The congregation had acquired additional property on church avenue in 1939, and had the new parsonage built there in 1952. It is of brick construction, had has ten rooms, a breezeway, and two car garage. The approximate cost was $30,000. The building committee: Nicholas Osterink, Sr (chairman), Henry Koster, Jacob Scripsema, Gerard Stelma, and Laurence Timmer acted as general contractors, and the construction was done by Mr. Stelma an son Lester, with the help of the other committee members.
In 1954 the church accepted the responsibility for one service a month in the Haven of Rest mission on Bridge street. This work is now carried on by the Men's Bible class. A Missions Promotion Committee was formed in 1954, the function of which is to promote the cause of missions in the church. This committee, with personnel changes each year, arranges an annual missionary conference, missionary programs throughout the year, etc. In December 1954, 44 families left First church to organize a second daughter church, Zion Reformed, and in a few months five more families left. During the fall of 1956 Newhall Reformed church on Bryon Center avenue was organized, and the memberships of several families have been transferred there.
The congregation of First Reformed voted to have a new church edifice built, since Sunday school facilities were still lacking, and since it was deemed inadvisable to enlarge their building or to continue making repairs because of its condition. Ground was broken September 16, 1957 for erection of the present structure. At this ceremony the pastor, Rev. Henry J. Ten Clay, presided and gave a meditation, Virgil Beld led the singing, Mrs. Jacob Louwenaar was organist, Arlene Zwyghuizen and Gary Ensing presented an instrumental duet, and the Gospel Trio: Mrs. John DeVries, Mrs. H. Nelson Versput and Mrs. Cornelius Land sang a number, accompanied by Miss Cheryl DeVries. The Rev Henry Zylstra of Olivet Reformed church, and the Rev John Maassen of Zion Reformed also participated in the program.
The cornerstone was laid May 14, 1958. Pastor Ten Clay presided; Gerard Stelma, chairman of the building committee, set the stone, assisted by John Gort, the contractor's superintendent and a deacon of this church; the singing was led by Virgil Beld, Kathleen De Jonge, Gary Ensing, Bonnie Hengevelg, James Hengeveld, Patricia MacEachron, Kathleen Oosterink, Nancy Takens, Marilyn Ten Clay, Larry Zandstra and Douglas Zwyghuizen. Behind the cornerstone in the west exterior wall was placed a bronze plate indicating the location of a copper document box with contents placed behind the memorial cornerstone in the east narthex entrance. Items placed in this box were current copies of the Grandville News, Evening Press, Intelligencer-Leader, De Hope, and one 1909 Lincoln penny, which were transferred from the box behind the cornerstone in the former building, the rest of the contents being indistinguishable; a program of the ground-breaking ceremony (September 16, 1957), a Holy Bible (King James version), United States coin sets of 1957 and 1958, Grandville Star of May 8, 1958, The Church Herald of May 16, 1958, a church membership directory published March 31, 1958 and corrected up to May 14, and The Messenger (church bulletin) of May 11, 1958. A copy of this Centennial souvenir book containing the church history complete to the time of this writing (March 5, 1959) will be added after the Centennial; also a Dedication booklet, programs in connection with the Dedication and Centennial, and current copies of newspapers, the Church Herald, and The Messenger. The box was left unsealed for this purpose.
The approximate cost of the present church building is $296,000; the sanctuary seats, $30,000; organ, $28,000; carillionic bells, $8,000; pianos (2), $2,700; carpeting, $5,500; draperies, $3,200; chancel furniture, $2,500; other furnishings, $10,100. The approximate cost of the landscaping is not known at this point. Some items were given wholly or partially as gifts, by groups or individuals. The gifts and donors' names will be listed in a Memorial Book which the Memorial committee will have published soon. The organ, some of the seats, cupboards, and other items in the old church and parsonage have been sold. The cost of having the church razed was $1,480; the parsonage, about $200.
Gerard Stelma (chairman), Paul Holleman, Lloyd Kirkby, Henry Koster, F. Grand MacEachron, Jacob Oosterink, Webb Poll and Cornelius Prince constituted the building committee; Bernard Scott was building fund treasurer during 1958, and D. Wendell Becker is serving in that capacity this year. Johnson Construction Company was the general contractor, and James K. Haveman the architect.
The church bell was transferred from the former building. It was purchased from the Meneely Bell Company of West Troy, New York in 1910, and it cost $296. It is of solid bronze, is three feet in diameter, and weighs 1,104 pounds. Other items transferred from the old to the new church are the bowl from the baptismal font, which has been used for many many years, the Communion service, the pulpit Bible, and the Christian and American flags. These were carried in the procession at the time of Dedication.
The new edifice was dedicated in special Sunday services January 4, 11 and 18, 1959. The morning of January 4 the congregation met in the old church for the first part of the service, then moved, singing into the new building for dedication of the church proper. January 11 was Consecration Sunday, and the morning service included a special Communion service, installation of elders and deacons, and Baptism. The morning service January 18 included dedication of the church classrooms. The following participated in these services: Rev. Jacob G. Brouwer, a former pastor, now retired; Rev Jacob Blaauw, a former pastor, now National Director of Canadian Missions, RCA; Dr. Jacob Prins, Minister of Evangelism, RCA, and Dr. Elton M. Eenigenburg, Professor of Church History at Western Theological Seminary. Rev. Ten Clay authored a poem which was printed in the Dedication booklet. The Senior Choir sang an anthem of praise, of which the composer and author was Sidney A. Stelma, whose father, John Stelma, is a former member of the church. Mrs. H. Nelson Verseput, a member of the church, composed and authored a hymn which she presented to the church for its Dedication and Centennial observances. This hymn was sung by the congregation at the Dedication services, and will be used at the Centennial services. An Open House and a Community-Denominational Night were held in connection with the dedication; and the Consistory planned a congregational Appreciation Night, honoring members of the committees who served in connection with the building of the new church. This included a supper and program.
The Centennial will be observed in Sunday services April 12 and 19, when guest speakers will be Dr. Louis H. Benes, Editor of The Church Herald, and Dr. Marion de Velder, 1958-59 President of General Synod, RCA; in a Centennial Pageant written by Mrs. Cornelius Mekkes, and a Former Members Night. Other events scheduled are a concert to be presented by the Hope College Chapel Choir, Carillon Dedication with Dr. Alvin F. Brightbill, Director of Fine Arts at Bethany Biblical Seminary in Chicago, as carillionneur, Organ Dedication with Donald P. Hustad, Director of Moody Bible Institute's music department, as recitalist, and a Family Night.
Although mention has been made in this history of some members who gave years of service in various ways in this church and have gone to their reward, others also have given and are giving freely of their time and talents; and no doubt these will be mentioned in the next anniversary book..
Twenty-four members of this church are over 75 years of age at the present time (March 5): Mrs. Grace VanZinderen (95), Mrs. Fannie Huizenga (91), Mr. John Kramer (90), Mrs. Katherine Stoel (87), Mrs. Anna Johnson (86), Mrs. Maggie Vredevoogd (84), Mr. John Ripperda (84), Mr. Martin Koster (84), Mrs. Martin Koster (82), Dr. John Ver Meulen (82), Mrs. John VerMeulen (82), Mrs. T. K. Mekkes (82), Mr. Edward VanBronkhorst (80), Mr. James Krokkee (80), Mrs. Anna Boskool (79), Mrs Jennie Imanse (79), Mr Siert Isenga (79), Mrs James Krokkee (78), Mr Nicholas Norder (78), Mrs Siert Isenga (77), Mr. Nicholas Meyers (77), Mr. Ysbrandt Groendyk (77), Mrs. Anna Hoch (75), and Mr. Adrian VanFarowe (75). Mrs. Huizenga, Mrs. Mekkes and Mr. Isenga are life members, having been baptized as children in this church and having remained here.
'Lasts' in the old church: Funeral - Mrs. Rachel Reinhard's; Wedding - Cheryl DeVries to William VanRegenmorter; Profession - Joyce VanderMolen; Baptism - Larry Alan Smit. 'Firsts' in the new church: Funeral - J. Henry Kronemeyer's; Wedding - expected to be that of Claud Doornbos to Louise Anderson; Professions - J. Ronald DeYoung, James Stelma and Curtis Stoel; Baptisms - William Clare Stelma and Steven Scott Groendyk.
As of now Faith Reformed church has 155 families, Olivet 179, Standale 56, Zion 150, and Newhall 71, a total of 611, of which 153 families were formerly of First church.
First Reformed now numbers 305 families, including 557 communicant and 373 baptismal members. The Sunday School enrollment is 512, and the Cradle Roll, 97.
Catechism has always been one of the strong points of the Reformed Church in America, and is still a strong point of Grandville First Reformed church at its 100-year milestone.
This brings the history of First Reformed church of Grandville up to date. It is lengthy, but only a small part of the history of the Church of Christ. How good God has been! What blessings this church has had because of His unbounded love, His great mercy, and His ceaseless care! What responsibility is hers in the present generation, in the uncertain future! Clouds are upon the horizon nationally, internationally, and ecclesiastically. May she continue to be true to the trust that has been placed in her; may each member have indomitable faith in God, Who is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." A good history continuing today and tomorrow is dependent upon this, and only in this way can the church pass on to posterity an unadulterated heritage, and thus be found faithful to the good professions of Fathers and forefathers when Jesus comes!
Rev. Mannes Kiekintveld
Born September 2, 1839
Graduate of Rutgers College 1863, New Brunswick Sem. 1866
Served April 1867 - April 1870
Died May 30, 1889
Rev. Willem P. De Jonge
Born December 18, 1824
Graduate of Kampen, the Netherlands 1858
Served July 1871 - August 1887
Died August 8, 1887
Rev. Roelof Duiker
Born in 1825
Served January 1888 - December 1889
Died August 9, 1917
Rev. Peter A .J. Bouma
Born July 14, 1862
Attended Kampen, the Netherlands, Graduate of Western Theo Sem. 1890
Served June 1890 - September 1891
Died July 21, 1934
Rev. Dirk Broek
Born February 5, 1835
Graduate of Rutgers College 1861, New Brunswick Sem. 1864
Served May 1892 - November 1903
Died November 11, 1903
Rev. John Ossewaarde
Born July 12, 1873
Graduate of Hope College 1897, Princeton Seminary 1900
Served May 1904 - December 1907
Died October 22, 1935
Rev. Martin C. Ruisaard
Born February 11, 1877
Graduate of Hope College 1905, Western Theo. Sem. 1908
Served June 1908 - September 1910
Died January 11, 1933
Rev. William Moerdyk, D.D.
Born January 27, 1843
Graduate of Hope College 1866, Western Theo. Sem. 1869
Served April 1911 - November 1913
Died September 17, 1914
Rev. Cornelius Vander Schoor
Born July 23, 1876
Graduate of Hope College 1905, Western Theo Sem. 1908
Served January 1914 - Jule 1915
Died February 23, 1940
Rev. Jacob G. Brouwer
Born April 29, 1880
Graduate of Hope College 1904, Western Theo Sem. 1907
Served January 1916 - June 1919
Rev. Bart R. Van Zyl
Born July 24, 1885
Graduate of Hope College 1912, Western Theo Sem. 1915
Served March 1920 - May 1923
Died May 8, 1949
Rev. Gerrit J. Hekhuis, D.D.
Born August 2, 1860
Graduate of Hope College 1885, Western Theo Sem. 1888
Served October 1923 - June 1934
Died August 8, 1940
Rev. Jacob Blaauw
Born June 24, 1897
Graduate of Hope College 1925, Western Theo Sem. 1928
Served October 1934 - November 1942
Rev. James M Harmeling, B.Ph.
Born August 24, 1908
Graduate of Univ. of Chicago 1930, McCormick Seminary 1934
Served November 1943 - November 1945
Rev. Henry J. Ten Clay, B.D.
Born April 30, 1913
Graduate of Central College 1939, Western Theo. Sem. 1942
Served September 1946 -
Consistory at Time of Rev. Jacob G. Brouwer's Pastorate
Elders: John Huizenga, Peter J Hoekzema, Rev Jacob G. Brouwer (pastor),
Peter Zwyghuizen, Herbert Fountain
Deacons: William Johnson, Dirk Isenga, Cornelius VanderMolen,
Abraham G. VerStrate, Nicholas Osterink Sr
1959 "Greater" Consistory [* 1958 - 1959 Consistory]
Alles, John *
Becker, D.Wendell Sr *
Davis, D Richard *
DeVries, John *
Dykstra, Edward *
Gort, John Sr *
Groendyk, Harold *
Herrema, Maynard *
Hoekstra, John *
Holleman, Paul *
Kronemeyer, J Henry
Louwenaar, Jacob *
MacEachron, F. Grant *
Mekkes, Cornelius *
Moored, Keith Sr *
Osterink, Nicholas Sr
Plaggemeyer, Frederick *
Prince, Cornelius *
Rinkus, Donald Sr *
Scott, Bernard *
Stelma, Lester *
Stoel, Herbert *
TenClay, Rev Henry J
VanDenBosch, Corres *
VanderMolen, Peter *
VanNoord, Gelmer *
Veldman, Edward *
Verseput, H Nelson *
VerStrate, Abraham G
VerStrate, James Sr
Wierda, Gerald *
Zwyghuizen, Richard *
DESCRIPTION OF THE NEW CHURCH
Our new edifice is of a modified contemporary design, and both the outside and inside are marked by its simplicity and dignity. The architect tried to design a structure that should be in good taste for many years to come. The plan presented a challenge, in that is was necessary to provide principal approaches from the west and east sides, which meant that each facade needed to be well designed in order to give the appearance of a main entrance. This did not permit the usual secondary side of a building.
The building is of masonry and steel construction, with outside materials of face brick and Indiana limestone to the second-floor ceiling height, above which it is wood frame. The church is T-shaped, and the outside dimensions are 114 feet by 145 feet. The educational part is 114 feet by 40 feet. The sanctuary part is 58 1/2 feet by 105 feet. The entire building covers an area of approximately 10,700 square feet. The main roof ridge is 40 feet and the tower ridge 78 feet from the ground.
The sanctuary has a dimension of 115 feet from the chancel to the rear wall of the balcony, and a width of 55 feet. The roof inside the sanctuary is composed of laminated arches and purlins, with two by six rafters and roof boards, four inches of insulation, and finished with red cedar paneling below, hot sprayed with three coats of clear lacquer. The walls are of plaster, wood paneling and brick. The ceiling is of cedar in its natural state.
Our sanctuary floor slopes 18 inches from the narthex to the second arch from the chancel. All the windows are of aluminum, the sanctuary windows ventilating both top and bottom, and controlled by single operator at sill. The windows are 20% colored and 80% clear glass to give us a light and cheerful place of worship.
The two chancel windows are leaded art glass, depicting ten biblical events with scriptural reference. The left-hand window has Old Testament, and the right-hand window New Testament events, showing the Creation, Fall of Man, Covenant, Giving of the Law, and the Promise; the Nativity, Calvary, Resurrection and Ascension, Outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and the Inviting Christ.
On the rear wall of the chancel we have a gilded wooden cross, 7 feet wide and 18 feet high, lighted from above with spotlights. There are two brick-and-copper planters at the rostrum, as well as two wood-and-brass planters between the narthex and sanctuary.
The organ grilles have the motif of "time" shown in hour-glass ornaments. These are also shown in the ventilating grille at the rear of the balcony, the door pulls in the narthex and lobby, and in the grille above the basement stairway.
Our building has nine separate ventilating systems, two of which have grilles over the doors at the front of the sanctuary, and one has a large grille in the back wall of the balcony. The two at the front of the sanctuary have outdoor fresh air supply, which is heated in season. Exhaust air is drawn through the floor grills behind the planters on the rostrum.
The sanctuary has a seating capacity of 598 on the main floor, 207 in the balcony, and 40 in the choir area, making a total of 845 seats. The main floor also has a society room which will seat 130, with a rostrum and adjoining kitchenette, a consistory room, pastor's study, secretary's office and library.
The wood material of the seats and chancel furniture is rift sawn white oak, and are a new combination type with continuous pew backs and continuous book racks. The individual seats with arm rests between are upholstered with green wool and nylon fabric. The sanctuary carpeting is also green.
The second floor has 15 classrooms of various sizes, a nursery, and several closets and storage rooms. There is also a sizable classroom on the third floor of the tower. We have a bell tower room 15 by 16 feet with a 14-foot ceiling, from which the four carillion speakers horns are suspended. Installed in the tower is the large bell from our old church tower. It is of solid bronze, three feet in diameter and weighs 1014 pounds. It is supported on cast iron standards and yoke, weighing approximately 500 pounds. The rope wheel is made of wood 2 3/4 inches thick and 5 1/2 feet in diameter. The total weight is about three-quarter ton. This bell was shipped from a foundry in West Troy, NY in May 1910; and after 48 years of service is still in very good condition. At present the bell is manually operated, but provision has been made to install an electric bell ringer.
The basement is under the entire building, and has a large assembly room 55 feet by 60 feet, with a rostrum. This room will seat 500 in assemblies, and 300 for banquets. We also have a large kitchen adjoining the assembly room, with birch cabinets, finished natural with clear lacquer. Several sections of the base cabinets are equipped with channels for storage of cups and tumblers on serving trays. Beyond the rostrum end of the assembly room we have a 12 by 20 classroom, and organ-blower room, and two ventilating-equipment rooms. Across the basement lobby from the kitchen we have a 27 by 40 room with folding doors which will divide the room into eight classrooms for the beginner's department. We have an arrangement of folding doors there that permits access to any classroom with the opening of one folding door. This room also has a storage room and juvenile toilet room.
The catechism and choir room, deacon's room, ladies' and men's restrooms, table- and chair-storage room, and boiler room are off the basement lobby. The catechism and choir room has a chalk board, and five choir-robe cabinets.
Our building is heated with a gas-fired, low-pressure steam boiler, controlled by thermostats throughout the building. The boiler room also contains the main electrical distribution panel, the telephone panel, and water- and gas-service meters, as well as an incinerator, and air compressor, and condensate return pump. We also have a balcony in the boiler room, with outdoor access, for the storage of yard and lawn equipment.
Generally our entire building is fire-proof construction, with the exception of the roof, which is wood frame, but covered with fire-proof cement-asbestos shingles. The tower has a copper roof and finial.
We have had the cornerstone of the old building cleaned and re-cut, then installed in the main lobby of the new building. the copper document box for the new building is placed behind this stone, but will not be sealed until after the Centennial celebration, in order to include a Centennial souvenir book, papers, etc.
CHANCEL ART GLASS WINDOWS
The beautiful art glass windows in the chancel were made by the Grand Rapids Art Glass Company, of the very finest of antique glass from various European sources, blended with different types of glass obtained in our own country. The general construction of the windows, and their installation, is of such nature that the passing of years will make no change in the brightness and hue of the colors.
The Biblical theme of God's relationship to man, as shown in the complete Scripture, is carried out in both columns. In Reformed theology, the Bible is regarded as a unit in presenting God's complete and final revelation. The Gospel news of redemption is found in both Testaments. "The new is in the Old contained; the Old is by the New explained."
THREE-MANUAL SCHANTZ ORGAN
Our new organ, which we dedicate to the service of our God, is an instrument of rare beauty and flexibility. It was built and installed by the Schantz Organ company of Orrville, Ohio, one of the three top organ builders in the United States. The Schantz Company was organized in 1873, and has been building quality pipe organs ever since. At present, members of the third generation of the Schantz family are actively engaged in the business.
Each Schantz Organ is built to order for the church it is to serve. After careful consideration of the size of our auditorium and the space allotted to the organ, Mr. A. C. Strahle, district manager of the company, developed plans for the organ that would give it the finest tonal and engineering results possible. These specifications were submitted to and approved by our Organ committee.
The organ has two main parts: the console, from which the organ is played, and the divided chambers that house the pipes and other mechanism essential to the operation of the instrument. This is a three-manual (three keyboards) and pedal organ. The purpose of three keyboards is to provide opportunity for a variety of tone colors to be played in harmony and contrast. It is really three organs in one, each keyboard having its own set of tone colors. The top manual is called the Swell, the bottom the Choir, and the middle is the Great. By engaging or disengaging the English draw knobs to the right and left of the keyboards, the organist permits a certain set of pipes to speak as he has need of them.
Organ pipes are divided into four general families: diapasons, flutes, strings and reeds. Each of the families is represented in the tonal make-up of this instrument. The diapason is the primary organ tone, ranging from those of considerable power to the Dulciana, the softest stop of the organ. The flutes are present in various forms, providing charming tones of a delightful variety of color. While the strings are not intended to imitate the orchestral strings, they are harmonically similar, and provide a rich, warm, vibrant tone not unlike those of an orchestra. Perhaps of most interest to the layman is the reed family, the tone of which is produced by vibrating tongues of brass set in the pipes. The reeds are divided into two types -- chorus and imitative. The chorus reeds produce a blaze of power and color unobtainable by any other means, which the imitative reeds are somewhat quieter.
A complete coupler system is provided, enabling the organist to combine the sections of the organ, affording him great flexibility in registration of the various tops. The combination action is operated by pistons placed between the keyboards, and toe pistons above the pedalboard. The function quietly and efficiently, and are absolutely indispensible to modern organ control.
Because pipes speak at a constant intensity, mechanical means are necessary to obtain expression. This is accomplished by fitting shutters in the front of the pipe chambers. These expression shutters are controlled by pedals from the organ console. Two such expression chambers, the Swell and the Great-Choir, are provided in the organ.
The organ contains 34 Stops, 23 Ranks plus 2 1/2 Ranks and 4 Extensions, and a total of 1405 Pipes. There are 25 Schulmerich Bells playable from the organ console also. No two pipes in the organ are alike, some being made of metal and some of wood, varying in size from a led pencil, with a vibrating air-column of only three-quarters of an inch in length, to the largest pipes 14" in diameter and 18' in length. There are 22 couplers, plus the general pistons, manual pistons, and pedal pistons.
Throughout the centuries the organ has been a traditional musical instrument of the church, and has as its special function the accompanying and support of the congregational singing of hymns and liturgical responses. It is also important as a solo instrument, and is useful in the performance of choral and other concerted music which may be appropriate to worship. We pray that this organ will serve to fulfill its lofty purpose, that is will help define for the congregation the words of Martin Luther, when he asks that "the music of the Church be an act of worship which is to glorify God and to edify man."
THE SCHULMERICH "ARLINGTON" CARILLON BELLS
In 1930, a young electronics engineer, George J. Schulmerich, revised the bell-making craft. At that time the fine bell music formerly heard from church belfries in our communities had threatened to become a lost tradition because of the great weight and cost of cast bells.
Spurred by his own personal love for bell music, months were spent in his laboratories applying the knowledge of his engineers and noted musicians to the problem of creating the sound of perfectly tuned bells without using the great mass of metal required to mold cast bells. The "Carillionic Bells" instruments made in Sellersville, Pennsylvania, were the answer.
Our "Arlington" Carillon consists of 25 tiny dual bell-tone generators of bronze bell metal, which are struck by metal hammers. Perfect bell tones are produced by the hammer blow -- almost inaudible to the ear, but including the sub-octave hum tone which is the hallmark of find carillon bells. The bell vibrations are then amplified over one million times through specially designed electronic equipment, producing bell music with all the richness and depth of that heard from the finest of cast bell carillons. It provides the tonal equivalent of 79,462 pounds of cast bells tuned to the traditional Flemish standards. The range of the instrument is G below middle C to two octaves above. The Bourdon bell of G below middle C is equal in tone to a cast bell weighing 13,250 pounds.
The Carillon can be played from the organ console. Selector switches will permit the bells to be heard within the sanctuary alone, from the tower alone, or together.
Automatic daily programs of fine bell music on the "Arlington" Carillon is provided by means of the Schulmerich "Auto-Bell" Roll Player, which is included with our installation. This instrument actually plays the bells through the use of perforated plastic rolls. Operation of the Roll Player automatically is controlled by a calendared clock, which can be set to play the Carillon at any time of the day.
THE BUILDING COMMITTEE
Gerard Stelma, Chairman
F. Grant MacEachron
Rev. Henry J. TenClay
F. Grant MacEachron, Chairman
Keith Moored, Sr
Virgil Beld, Chairman
Peter VanderMolen, Chairman
Hildergarde Scheerhorn, Chairman
Keith Moored, Sr
Janet Kirkby, Chairman
Donald Scripsema, Chairman
D. Wendell Becker, Sr
Delbert Zandbergen, Sr
Cornelius Mekkes, Chairman
Member ex-offico of all the committees:
Rev. Henry J TenClay
NOTES ON OUR MEMBERS
Mrs Grace Van Zinderen - Our Oldest Living Member
* * * * *
Our Custodians: Mr and Mrs Gerrit Zwiers
Former Custodians: George Oldebeken, Herman VanKammen, Enne Riepma, J. Ritzeman, William Johnson,
Freerk Bonthuis and Henry Ohlman
* * * * *
Miss Winne H. Bouma was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan on September 26. At an early age she became interested in Christian service and voluntarily took part in neighborhood evangelism. She had one term at the Los Angeles Bible Institute, and she served for two years on the Navaho field from 1918 to 1921. In 1928 she went to the Kentucky field where she worked until 1942. In 1942 she was transferred to Macy Nebraska, to the Omaha Indian field, and served there until 1947. In 1948 she was appointed to do community work for our church in and around Grandville. She is presently working in this capacity.
* * * * *
Edward Grant was born at North Blendon, on May 2, and when he was four years old the family moved to Grandville. He was educated in the Grandville schools, and served in the United States Army in World War II. He worked for his father-in-law in the hardware business for eight years. During this time he felt called to full-time Christian service. In May of 1954 he was placed in the Cadillac - Traverse City area by the American Sunday School Union to do mission work there. In February of 1955 he was transferred to the Grand Rapids area as General Missions Superintendent of the Lower Peninsula. He moved his family back to Grandville that June. He was a member of the First Reformed Church of Grandville until the organization of Olivet in 1948, when he tranferred his membership there. He married Miss Lois Oom of Grand Rapids, and they have four girls, Barbara, Judy, Nancy and Joyce.
* * * * *
With the retirement of Dr. and Mrs. Paul Harrison in 1954 from the Arabian field the Board appointed Dr. and Mrs Bernard L Draper to fill the vacancy, and our church assumed a unit of their support. Dr Draper was born in Nebo, Illinois on February 6. He graduated from the Washington University in St. Louis in 1950, and from the University of Illinois College of Medicine in 1954. He married Jacqueline Blaauw in Michigan and is a registered nurse, having graduated from the West Suburban Nursing School in Oak Park, Illinois in 1953. He interned at Blodgett Memorial and St. Mary's Hospitals in Grand Rapids, and the family left for Arabia in 1956. They have two children, Mary Beth and Mark Allen. Due to unsettled political conditions in the Iraq - Arabia area, the Drapers have been transferred recently to the American Christian Mission, Muscat, Oman in Southeast Arabia, and are presently working that area.
* * * * *
Mr. Verne E Wilkins was born in Morrison, Illinois on June 4. He graduated from Morrison High School in 1942, Central College in 1949, University of Iowa in 1953 and the Chicago Technical College in 1957. He served in the Marine Corps from 1943 to 1946 and taught science and mathematics at Annville Institute from 1949 to 1952. In 1951 he married Eileen De Young from Grandville, Michigan, a former member of this church. She was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan on September 24. She attended Grandville High School and did secretarial work at Annville Institute. During 1953 and 1954 Mr. Wilkins taught science and mathematics in the Hammond Public Schools, and then, in 1954, he was reappointed to Annville Institute as teacher of mathematics, mechanical drawing and Dean of Boys. The Wilkins have one son Dan Brian, born October 1956. Grandville Church assumed their support in 1957 and continue to help them in the work they are presently doing at Annville Institute.
* * * * *
In 1957 the church again assumed another unit of missionary support, that of Rev. and Mrs. Russell Norden, whose field of service is Japan. He is a native of Grand Rapids and his birthday is February 18. He attended Lee High School, and served two and one-half years in the United States Navy. He graduated from Hope College in 1949 and from Western Seminary in 1952. In 1951 he married Eleanore Short. She was born in Auburn, New York on June 5. She graduated from Hope College in 1951, and then taught school for one year in Holland, Michigan. The following year, 1953, they spent attending the Yale Language School learning the Japanese language. The sailed on August 20, 1953 for the first term in Japan. They have three children, Stephan, Rebekah, and Martha. Presently they are home on furlough and are attending Princeton University. They expect to return to Japan about August 9, 1959.
* * * * *
My hearty congratulations to you upon the centennial celebration of your church. Surely God has blessed Grandville during the one hundred years in a remarkable way.
When I was your pastor one of the charter members, Mr. John Vinkemulder, was still living, and he told me of some of the struggles the church passed through in those early years. He had been a deacon for many years and he told me how difficult it was to make ends meet financially. Then people were very poor and gave pennies in the offering - and now you are able to build this substantial church.
You are also supporting your own missionaries in the home and foreign field, and have given members and money to start five new churches in your area. Surely we praise the great Head of the Church for these developments. The Word of God has been fulfilled before our very eyes, for in Isaiah 27:3 the Lord has promised about the vineyard which He has planted: "I, the Lord, do keep it; I will water it every moment; lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day."
"Praise God from Whom all blessings flow."
Your brother in Christ,
Rev. Jacob G. Brouwer
* * * * *
SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF THE CHURCH WHO HAVE GIVEN OR
ARE NOW GIVING THEIR LIVES TO FULL-TIME CHRISTIAN SERVICE
Rev. Chamber Dyke - deceased
Rev. John Lamer - deceased
Rev. Edward Kelder, Ph.D. - deceased
Rev. Albertus T. Broek, D.D. - deceased
Rev. John Y. Broek, D.D.
MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY (as of March 3, 1959)
[hardcopy directory contains wife's maiden name]
Alberda, Stuart - Barrett Ave, Grandville
children: Stephen Mark, Susan Jane
Alkema, Eugene - Fairfield Ave, GR
Alkema, Henry - Chicago Dr, Grandville
children: H. Dale, Ruth, Delores
Alles, John - 8th Ave, Georgetown Twp
children: Jeanne Marie
Babbitt, Miss Wavelene Belvue Ave, Jenison
Baker, Edward - Vermont Ave, Grandville
children: Jon, Jean
Baker, Fernand - 92nd St, Byron Center
children: Vernon, Dean, Diane, Rosemary, Michael
Balkema, Andrew - 30th St, Grandville
Beak, Mrs. Florence - State Hospital, Kalamazoo
Becker, D. Wendell - Carmel Ave, Grandville
children: Dwight, Marcia, Daniel Paul, Elizabeth Gay
Bekkering, Barney - Rt 2, Byron Center
Beld, Virgil - 30th St, Grandville
wife: C. Esther
children: Nancy, Mary, Douglas
Beukema, Herman - Taplin St, Grandville
Beukema, Mrs Jennie - 30th St, Grandville
Boer, Harvey - Cottonwood Dr, Jenison
Bogert, James - Thornwood St, GR
children: Nia Lynn
Bosch, Nicholas -Wilson Ave, Grandville
Boskool, Mrs. Anna - Fayette Ave, Grandville
Bosma, John - Carmel Ave, Grandville
Bouma, Miss Winne - Grand St, Grandville
Brouwer, Gerrit - Pine Ave, Grandville
Brouwer, H. William - Macrace St, Grandville
Brouwer, Kenneth - Chippewa Ave, Jenison
Brow, Orville - Fletcher Ct
children: Thomas Fletcher, Robert Fletcher
Brower, Miss Mary - Prairie St, Grandville
Burt, Robert - Vermont Ave, Grandville
children: Robert, Linda, Cathy Anne, Daniel Wayne, Susan Lynn
Clemence, William - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Nancy Jo
Cline, W. Edward - Jenison St, Grandville
children: Douglas Edward, Michael Scott
Cook, Ronald - Prairie St, Grandville
wife: E. Johanne
children: Fred Gibson
Dalman, Joseph - Canal Ave, Grandville
children: Brenda Ruth
Datema, William - Tyler St, Georgetown Twp
Davis, D. Richard - Collindale Ave, GR
children: Philip, Edward, Carolynn
DeHammer, Roy - Burlingame Ave, Wyoming
children: David Phillip, R. Daniel
DeJong, Minard - Fairview St, Grandville
children: Marcia, Maynard
DeJonge, Gerard - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: John, James, Kathleen, Jeffrey Lee
DeJonge, Robert - Chicago Dr, Hudsonville
children: Kevin Scott
Dekker, Jacob - Whiting St, Wyoming
Dekker, Truman - 30th St, Grandville
children: Sharon Anne, Thomas Earl, Jack Alan
DePuit, Robert - Higgins Ave, Grandville
children: Judith, Patricia, Barbara
DeRidder, Harold - Navaho Dr, Grandville
children: Sandra, Douglas, Nancy Jo
DeVries, John - Baldwin St, Jenison
children: Marva Dean, Lora Dell
DeVries, Sidney - N. Big Spring Dr, Grandville
children: Barbara, Patricia, Syd Alan
DeVries, William - Prospect Ave, GR
children: Denice Darlene, Steven Garth
DeYoung, Edward - 30th St, Grandville
DeYoung, John - Henry St, Grandville
children: Patricia, J. Ronald, Donald B, Edward James, Lori Ann
DeYoung, Martin -Howard St, GR
DeZwaan, Mrs Minnie - White St, Grandville
Diekema, Dwane - Avon St, Wyoming
children: Jeffrey Alan
Diekema, Henry - Vermont Ave, Grandville
children: John Calvin
Doornbos, Gerald - Harold Ave, Jenison
Doornbos, Gerrit - Baldwin St, Jenison
Doornbos, Herman - Baldwin St, Jenison
children: Judith Kay, John Allen
Doornbos, Miss Martha & Miss Dora - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Doornbos, Reynold - Oakes St, Grandville
children: Monty R, Craig V, Rennae Sue
Dykstra, Arno - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: David Michael, Gregg Alan
Dykstra, Edward - Ferry St, Grandville
Dykstra, Mrs. Johanna - Ottawa Ave, Grandville
Dykstra, Lambert - 52nd St, Wyoming
children: Lambert Joe
Dykstra, Martin - S. Big Spring Dr, Grandville
children: Donald J, Ronald A, Steven M, Deborah Lynn, Mark Allan
Dykstra, Mrs Sena - Parkdale Ave
children: Derwin, Donna
Ellis, Roger - 38th St, Grandville
children: Sandra Kay, Debra Lynn, Vicki Jo, Cheryl Ann
Elzinga, Stanley - Harvest Ave, Grandville
children: Connie Sue, Daniel Mark
Ensing, Gerald - Carmel Ave, Grandville
Esther, Miss Kathryn - Washington Ave, Grandville
Fennema, Gerrit - Chestnut Ave, Grandville
Fisher, Robert - Carmel Ave, Grandville
Garrison, Mrs Victoria - Superior St, Grandville
Goebel, Robert - Camden Ave, GR
Gort, John - White St, Grandville
children: Sharon, John, David Lee
Gort, Ralph - Gable St, Grandville
Grinwis, Bert - Barrett Ave, Grandville
Grinwis, Joseph - Crystal St, Grandville
children: Barbara, Donald
Groendyk, Harold - Bill-Mar St, Grandville
children: Joan Marie, Nancy Gay, Lou Ann, Steven Scott
Groendyk, Miss Tressa - Chicago Dr, Grandville
Groendyk, Ysbrandt - Prairie St, Grandville
Groendyke, Maynard - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: Richard, Lynne Anne, Timothy B, Trent E
Groeneveld, Jack - Prairie St, Grandville
Gustafson, Stanley - Navaho Dr, Grandville
children: Randall Lee, Perry Warren
Haan, Donald - Mill St, Grandville
children: Gary, William Wagner, Franklin Wagner, Joel, Theodore
Haggerty, Richard - Maynard Rd, GR
children: Kenneth, Joyce, Karen, Janet
Hamilton, Eugene - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
children: Cynthia, Timothy
Hankamp, Joe - Fulton St, GR
Haveman, Wesley - Harvest Ave, Grandville
children: Robert, Roland, Douglas
Hayes, Harry - Prairie St, Grandville
children: James, Joe, Jerry, Jay, Judy
Hengeveld, Jake - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: Dennis, James, Bonnie
Henrickson, John - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Henrickson, Willard - Macrace St, Grandville
children: Sandra, Kathleen, Brian
Herrema, Maynard - Carlton Park Dr, Grandville
children: Nancy, Randall, Douglas John, James Allen
Hoch, Mrs Anna - Ottawa Ave, Grandville
Hoekstra, John - 31st St, Grandville
children: Janice, Steven, David Lee
Hoffman, James - Barrett Ave, Grandville
Hoffman, Versil - Canal Ave, Grandville
children: Deborah Jean, Marcia Ann
Holbrook, Lawrence - Cherry Lane, East Lansing
Holliman, A. Dennis - Superior St, Grandville
wife: Esther June
Holleman, Mrs Josie - Franklin Ave, Grandville
Holleman, Martin - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Holleman, Paul - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Kenneth, Curtis, Craig, Kevin
Huizenga, Mrs. Fannie - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Huizenga, Mrs. Hattie - Wedgewood Ct, Grandville
Huizenga, Willard - Wilson Ave. Grandville
children: James, Bonnie, Patricia, Jack
Huizenga, William - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Imanse, Mrs Jennie - Port Sheldon Rd, Georgetown Twp
Isenga, Donald - Boone Ave, Wyoming
children: Eugene Dale, Michael Lee
Isenga, James - Worden St, GR
children: Cynthia Ann, JoAnne Kay
Isenga, Robert - 44th St, Wyoming
children: Douglas James, Thomas John
Isenga, Siert - Byron Center Ave, Wyoming
Japinga, Harold - Ottawa Ave, Grandville
children: Douglas, Terre
Johnson, Mrs Anna - Edison Ave, GR
Kamp, John - Maple St, Grandville
Kiger, Theodore - Fern Ave, Imperial Beach, CA
children: Shirley, Thomas
Kirby, Lloyd - Prairie St, Grandville
Kolkman, Mrs Anna - Elwood Ave, Grandville
Kolkman, Gerald - Carmel Ave, Grandville
children: Janice, Bruce, Larry Jay
Koning, Carl - Earle Ave, Grandville
children: Margaret Louise, Mary Martha, Ruth Anne
Koster, Henry - Ottawa Ave, Grandville
Koster, Martin - Prairie St, Grandville
Koster, Simon Sr - 56th St, Byron Center
Koster, Simon Jr - 56th St. Byron Center
children: Nancy Lynn
Kramer, John - Vermont Ave, Grandville
Krokkee, James - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
Kronemeyer, Mrs. Grace - Able St, Grandville
Land, Cornelius - Vermont Ave, Grandville
Land, Henry - 28th St, Grandville
Land, Nicholas - Veterans' Hospital, Battle Creek
Land, Jack - Woodbine Ave, Grandville
Land, Paul - 28th St, Grandville
children: Terri Lynn
Land, Robert - 28th St, Grandville
Langenberg, Henry - Chestnut Ave, Grandville
Laninga, Albert - Coate Ct, GR
children: Deborah Lynn
Laninga, James - Lee St, Grandville
children: Rosalie, Terry
Laninga, Ronald - 44th St, Wyoming
Lankenau, Arnold - 38th St, Grandville
children: Laurel Jean, Beth Louise, Bruce Arnold, Charmayne Lea
Leedy, Harvey - Navaho Dr, Grandville
children: Kenneth, Marilyn
Lemmink, Cornelius - Ithaca St, GR
Linscott, Kenneth - Broadway Ave, Grandville
children: Robert Kenneth, Daniel James
Longcore, Gerald - 38th St, Grandville
children: Judith Ann, Gerald Leroy
Louwenaar, Jacob - Barrett Ave, Grandville
children: Karyl, Keith, Betty Kay
Louwenaar, Mrs. Susie - Barrett Ave, Grandville
Loux, Charles - Wedgewood Ct, Grandville
children: Charles, Sharon
Lubbers, Theodore - Farragut St, GR
MacEachron, F. Grant - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Jane, Frederick, Patricia
McCarrick, Mrs. Abbie - Dixie Ave, Grandville
Medemar, Lester - 39th St, Hamilton
children: Judith, Richard, Evelyn, Ronald, Robert, Kathleen, Cynthia
Meeusen, Jack - Kiowa Ct, Grandville
children: Susan, Linda, Barbara
Mekkes, Cornelius - Wallace Ave, Grandville
children: Mary Beth, Timothy, Martha Lynn
Mekkes, Mrs. Frances - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
Mekkes, Nicholas - Earle Ave, Grandville
children: Lee, Lyle
Mesbergen, Lawrence - Elwell St, GR
children: Sally, Susan
Meyer, John - Hickory Dr, Jenison
children: Kenneth, Janet
Meyers, Nicholas - Locke Ave, Grandville
Miller, Roland - Carmel Ave, Grandville
children: Marijo, Ruthann
Moored, Keith - Barrett Ave, Grandville
children: Jane Ann, Keith William Jr, Susan Kay, Ann Marie
Neerken, Arthur - Fayette Ave, Grandville
Nichols, Mrs Alice - Chestnut Ave, Grandville
Norder, Nicholas - 30th St, Grandville
North, Paul - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: Michelle E.
Olthoff, Fay - 30th St, Grandville
Oosterink, Dale - Eastern Ave, GR
wife: V. Marlene
children: Deborah Ellen
Oosterink, Jacob - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
children: Jacqueline, Howard, Gary, Kathleen, Wayne, Mark
Oosterink, Kenneth - Henry Ave, Jenison
children: Gloria Kay, Gregory Kenneth, Gilbert Keith, Gail Elaine
Oosterink, Leon - Godfrey Ave, GR
Oosterink, Roger - Byron Center Ave, Wyoming
children: Sharon Diane, Denise Lynn, Maria Faye
Oosting, Chester - Cottonwood Dr, Jenison
children: Paul, Esther, Daniel Peter, Edwin Mark
Oppenhuizen, Mrs. Elizabeth - Fayette Ave, Grandville
Osterink, Mrs. Bessie - Canal Ave, Grandville
Osterink, Nicholas - Byron Center Ave, Wyoming
Overway, Mrs Thelma - Fairview St, Grandville
children: Shellie Lynn
Packer, James - 37th St, GR
children: Susan Renate, Michael James
Paskiewicz, Mrs. Nancy - High St, GR
children: Lary Michael, Randall Keith, Robert Kurt
Pearson, Mrs. Ella - Abel St, Grandville
Plaggemeyer, Frederick - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Poelman, Marvin - Chapel St, GR
children: Kathleen Joy, Steven Todd, Lynda Sue
Polavin, Michael - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Sherryl Lowing, Michael Mark, Michelle Rae, Todd Mitchell
Poll, Webb - Prairie St, Grandville
children: James, Denise, Judith Louise
Poskey, Henry - Cottonwood Dr, Jenison
Prince, Cornelius - LaCrosse St, GR
children: Edith, Dorothy
Redmon, Hiram - 30th St, Grandville
Redmon, H. Calvin - Ottawa Ave, Grandville
children: Joyce Ann
Rens, Cornelius - Chicago Dr, Grandville
Rens, Harold - Cheyenne Dr, Grandville
children: Douglas Alan
Rinkus, Donald - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Frances, Donald, Robin
Ripperda, Clarence - Martindale Ave, Wyoming
Ripperda, John - E. Fulton St, GR
Roos, Robert - 40th St, Grandville
Russell, Charles - Ardmore Ave, Jenison
children: Gary Jay, Randall Jon, Judy Lynn
Ryerson, Russell - Byron Center Ave, Wyoming
Scharphorn, Melvin - Wadsworth St, GR
children: David, Steven, Greg Alan
Scheerhorn, LaVerne - Fairview St, Grandville
children: Dale, L. Douglas, Timothy, Scott Boyd
Schreur, Samuel - Harvest Ave, Grandville
children: William, Judith, Diane, Suellen
Schroeder, Mrs Minnie - Chestnut Ave, Grandville
Schuitman, Henry - Wyoming Ave, Wyoming
children: Robert, Jerry
Schuitman, Marvin - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: Marla, Wyllis
Schuitman, Raymond - Wayburn Ave, Grandville
children: Ronald, Eileen
Scott, Bernard - Navaho Dr, Grandville
children: Douglas, Mary Jo, Steven James
Scott, William - Locke Ave, Grandville
Scripsema, Donald - Cheyenne Dr, Grandville
children: Daniel Don, Diann Kathryn
Scripsema, Jacob - Harvest Ave, Grandville
Scripsema, Leonard - Sycamore Dr, Jenison
children: David George, Susan Lynne
Seabert, George - Higgins Ave, Grandville
children: Mark, Dale, Mary Beth
Seabert, Mrs. Nelly - Barrett Ave, Grandville
Slack, Edward - 9th St, Holland
Smit, Leonard - Omaha Dr, Grandville
children: Lori Ann, Larry Alan
Smith, Donald - Parkhurst Ave, GR
children: Patricia, Douglas, Bruce
Smith, Franklin - Shoshone Dr, Grandville
children: Kenneth Paul, Audrey Marie
Smith, Harold - Bluebird Ave, GR
children: Michael Kent
Smith, Robert - 60th St, GR
Snell, Andrew - Maynard Rd, GR
children: James, Jon
Snip, Donald - Marymark Dr, Jenison
children: Michael, Dennis, Gordon Lee, Randall Allen
Start, Arthur - Franklin Ave, Grandville
children: Stephen, Mary, Terrence, Christine
Stehouwer, Herman - Edgewood St, Grandville
children: David, Elizabeth, Shelley Lynn
Stelma, Gerard - Abel St, Grandville
Stelma, Lester - Higgins Ave, Grandville
wife: C. Betty
children: Phyllis Jean, Robert James, David Arlan, William Clare
Stelma, Nicholas - Henry St, Grandville
children: Jerry, James
Stoel, Herbert - Prairie St, Grandville
Stoel, Mrs. Katherine - E. Fulton, GR
Strohl, Harry - Cherry St, GR
Takens, Henry - Vermont Ave, Grandville
Talsma, Elke - Oakes St, Grandville
children: Evonne Kaye, Bruce Allen, Mark Eric
Tellier, Mrs .Rena - Crystal St, Grandville
TenBrink, Mrs. Jessie - Kenowa Ave, Grandville
TenBrinke, Joe - Prairie St, Grandville
Ten Clay, Rev. Henry J. - Church Ave, Grandville
wife: J. Lucile
children: Marilyn, H. Arlan, Glenda Jeanne
TeRonde, Herman - 30th St, Grandville
children: Karen Sue
Timmer, Nicholas - Avon Ave, Wyoming
Top, Dick - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
Ulberg, Crannel - Ithaca St, Wyoming
children: Brian Edward
Valkier, Neal - Navaho Dr, Grandville
children: Gordon, Nancy
VanBronkhorst, Edward - Prairie St, Grandville
VanDam, John - Byron Center Ave, Wyoming
VanDam, Martin - Kenowa Ave, Byron Center
VanDenBosch, Corres - 30th St, Grandville
children: Ruth Ann, Keith
VanderLaan, Julius - Grand St, Grandville
children: Viola, Lillian, Amy Jane, Julius R Jr
VanderLaan, William - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: Edith, Lois, Norma
VanderMoere, Marinus - Ivanrest Ave, Byron Center
children: Franklyn, Patricia, Bonnie, Marcia
VanderMolen, Peter - Barrett Ave, Grandville
VanderWende, Mrs. Tena - Lee St, Grandville
VanderWood, Gerrit - Vermont Ave, Grandville
VanderWood, John - 8th Ave, Georgetown
children: David Lee, Pamela Joy, Douglas Jay
VanDyke, James - Rosewood Dr, Jenison
children: James, Sharon, Danny, Linda Jean, Harvey Jay
VanFarowe, Adrian - Kalamazoo
VanHoeven, William - Ottawa Ave, Grandville
children: A. Elaine, Virginia, William
VanHouten, William - Yellowstone Dr, Grandville
children: Joan Douma, Annette Douma, Susan Kay
VanKampen, Eibert - Pineview St, Grandville
children: Edwin, Phyllis, Gloria Ann
VanNoord, Gelmer - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: Paul, Marilyn, Glenn Arlan, Elaine Joy
VanOmmen, Mrs. Mathilda - Superior St, Grandville
VanRoekel, Lawrence - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Lynda, Daniel, Betty Ellen
VanSingel, Dick - 40th St, Grandville
VanZinderen, Mrs. Grace - Superior St, Grandville
Veldman, Edward - 44th St, Grandville
children: Max, Marcia
VerLee, John - Cottonwood Dr, Jenison
VerLee, Roger - Taylor St, Hudsonville
VerMeulen, Dr. John - Central Ave, GR
Verseput, H. Nelson - Belvue Ave, Jenison
children: Sharon, Gary
VerStrate, Abraham - Barrett Ave, Grandville
VerStrate, Mrs. Bessie - Fayette Ave, Grandville
VerStrate, Cornelius - 14th Ave, Hudsonville
children: Mary Ann
VerStrate, Henry - Prairie Ave, Grandville
VerStrate, James - Elwood Ave, Grandville
children: Jerry, James
Vetting, Orie - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
Victor, Mrs. Henrietta - 30th St, Grandville
Voorhees, Harold - Oakwood Dr, Jenison
children: Harold John
Voorhees, John - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Vredevoogd, Mrs. Evelyn - Wedgewood Ct, Grandville
children: Shirley, Marian, John
Vredevoogd, Harley - Harold Ave, Jenison
children: Jodi Ann
Vredevoogd, Mrs. Maggie - Barrett Ave, Grandville
children: B. Lucille
Walma, Daniel Sr. - Grand St, Grandville
Walma, Daniel, Jr. - Union Ave, GR
Walma, Robert - DeHoop Ave GR
children: Robert Lee
Weaver, Robert - Vermont Ave, Grandville
children: Robert, Thomas
Weaver, William - Taplin St, Grandville
Wheaton, Lester - 8th Ave, Georgetown
Wheeler, Edward - Baumhoff Ave, Comstock Park
children: Carl Edward, Carol Ann
White, Edward - Elwood Ave, Grandville
children: Linda, Barbara
Wierda, Gerald - Central Ave, GR
Wierda, Henry - Wyoming Ave, Wyoming
children: Paul, Edwin, Janet, Susan
Wierenga, Harvey - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
children: Harvey Allen
Wierenga, John - E. Fulton GR
Wierenga, Lawrence - Wilson Ave, Grandville
children: Dale, Patricia, Marcia, Douglas
Wierenga, Phillip - 8th Ave, Georgetown Twp
Wierenga, Roland - Chicago Dr, Grandville
Wierenga, William - Prairie St, Grandville
Wiers, Marvin - 76th St, Bryon Center
Wiers, Nicholas - Groveland Ave, GR
Wieten, Martin - Chestnut Ave, Grandville
Williams, Donald - Navaho Dr, Grandville
Wohlford, Leon - Bauer Rd. Jenison
children: Robert, Sue Ann, Dennis, Nancy Jo, Michael Dean
Yonker, Harold - Ottawa Ave, Grandville
wife: T. Jerene
children: Robert, Kathleen, Jerene Diane, Mary Ellen
Zandbergen, Delbert Sr. - Wilson Ave, Wyoming
children: Donald, Ronald, Marcia, Thomas
Zandbergen, Delbert Jr. - 56th St, Wyoming
children: Cheryl Lynne, Steven Jay, Scott David
Zandbergen, Eugene - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Gary Gene, Pamela Gae, Jerry Jay, Eugene Henry Jr
Zandbergen, Mrs. Helen - Wilson Ave, Grandville
Zandbergen, Mrs. Henrietta - Grand St, Grandville
Zandbergen, Henry - Henry St, Grandville
children: Bonita, Rose
Zandbergen, Howard - University Station, Gainesville FL
Zandbergen, Miss Inez - Vermont Ave, Grandville
Zandbergen, Jay - 30th St, Grandville
Zandbergen, Mrs. Nellie - Barrett Ave, Grandville
Zandbergen, William - Cheyenne Dr, Grandville
children: Kerry Lester, Kelly Lane
Zandstra, Darwin - Prairie St, Grandville
children: Wanda, Sally
Zandstra, John - Byron Center Ave, Wyoming
Zomerlei, Joe - Kenowa Ave, Grandville
children: Mary, Paul
Zuidema, Earl - N. Big Spring Dr, Grandville
Zwiers, Gerrit - Barrett Ave, Grandville
Zwiers, Marvin - Bill-Mar St, Grandville
children: Nancy Ann, Carol Lynn, Roger Allan
Zwyghuizen, Hemmo - Ivanrest Ave, Grandville
Zwyghuizen, Ivan - Grand St, Grandville
children: Muriel, Douglas, Larry
Zwyghuizen, Richard - 30th St, Grandville
The above document was transcribed January 2003
First Reformed Church is located at 3060 Wilson Ave, Grandville, MI 49418
(616) 534-5465 Web Address: www.firstgrandville.org
Transcriber: Terry Start
Created: 28 January 2003
Contact County Coordinator: email@example.com