METHODIST EPISCOPAL SOCIETY OF CEDAR SPRINGS
The Methodist Episcopal Society of Cedar Spring was organized October 6, 1866, under Presiding Elder J. Coggeshall and Orison A. Pierson, Sec'y; B. W. Smith, Preacher in Charge; F. Deitz, Preacher; D. J. Gilbert and J. D. Town, Local Preachers; H. Streeter, KS. Brown, Jos. Clark and W. H. Clark, Stewards: George Jocelyn, Exhorter; E. Jewell, L. Smith, A. Dean, S. Ackley, O. E. Pearson, A. Angell, Leaders.
The original members included the following named persons:
Bradford Baily Emity Baily Sandford Baily
Ebjona Baily Emily Clark Mary Carpenter
Sarah Farr Chester Ford Dilla Ford
Edward Jewell Sarah A. Jewell Samuel Pangborn
Rachael Pangborn Samuel Runches Elizabeth Runches
James Rounds Abby Ackert Barton Eddy
Marion Eddy Thomas Totten Herkiah Lacy
Mary Lacy William Brown S. L. Ackley
Evalina Ackley Warren Ackley Fanny P. Fairchild
Joel Pangborn Sarah A. Pangborn Mary C. Goldsmith
Eliza Hopkins Ida Jewell Charles Farr
Lucy A. Brown George Robertson Margareet Boles
In 1870 B. Fairchild became a member.
The first Trustees of the Church, after the division of the Cedar Springs Circuit, July 17, 1869 were:
Edward Jewell Benjamin Fairchild Orison Pearson
William H. Clark Bradford Bailey
At the same time the M.E. Church of Oakfield and Courtland was organized.
During the first years of the organization, services were held in the village school-house. The corner-stone was laid August 17, 1870, during the pastorate of Rev. John Graham. The dedication of the church took place June 7, 1871. Sermons were deliverd by Rev. J. M. Reid of Chicago and Rev. G. B. Jocelyn of Grand Rapids. Rev. A. J. Eldred was the Presiding Elder. The building committee in charge of the construction of the church, comprised Benjamin Fairchild, Edward Jewell and H. M. Rudes. E. P. Hayes was subsequently appointed, Vice H. M. Rudes, resigned.
Ref: History of Kent County, Chapman, 1881, pg 1250-1