FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF ADA #96
History and Charter Members, 1849
First Congregational Church was organized in Cascade, September 24, 1849, under the name of Cascade. The original members were:
Sherman S. Bailey John A. Barker
Christian Denison Delia G. Bailey
Hezekiah Howell Margaret Howell
Caroline Barker Charles Coger
Rev. T. Jones, of Grand Rapids, Chairman of Council, and Rev. H. Roote, of
Grandville, Scribe, presided at the organizational meeting. In April, 1860, the church voted to be known thereafter as the "First Congregational Church of Ada," the place of worship having changed to this place.
Early Pastors were:
Rev. R. J. Hess 1849-Aug.,1859
Rev. James Ballard 1869-1863
Rev. Nathaniel H. Evarts Oct.,1863-1866
Rev. Danforth L. Eaton Jan., 1, 1867-
Rev. Edwin Booth 1870-
Rev. Jesse A. S. Worden Oct., 1, 1876-
Rev. Austin H. Norris May 28, 1880-
Early Deacons were:
S. J. Bailey Sept. 24, 1849-
Jesse A. Barker Sept. 24, 1849-
Abraham Heaton June 25, 1854-
John Foster July 8, 1865-
John Foster Mar. 27, 1870-
Stephen H. LaBarge July 6, 1872-
W. G. Schenck July 6, 1872-
The church services were held in what is now the village of Cascade. The population of the township increased until there were enough people to organize in the township of Ada. More of the congregation lived in Ada, so the church was moved to the new Ada village.
The church voted to build a house of worship September 26, 1870. The house was dedicated January 10, 1872. Rev. J. Morgan Smith, of Grand Rapids, preached the sermon; $500 was raised on the day of dedication and the house was called The Booth Congregational House of Ada. The house is 32 x 50;modern English style, brick on stone foundation, with stained glass windows.
Present officers (1880) comprise A. H. Norris, Pastor; Stephen H. LaBarge and
William G. Schenck, Deacons.
The church met and adopted the Article of Association for the formation of alegally incorporated society November 8, 1870. The first Board of Trustees was comprised of:
H. Howell Mrs. E. Bradfield
William G. Schenck
The present Board of Trustees is composed of Anderson Wride, George Crowe and
Mrs. S. H. Livingstone. The present membership is 54. The number attending
Sunday-school is 80, under Deacon Stephen H. LaBarge as Superintendent.
Created: 13 July 2005