Neland Avenue Christian Reformed Church
(Grand Rapids Herald, Sunday, August 6, 1916)

Work on the Neland Avenue Christian Reformed church is rapidly nearing completion and by another week the basement will be entirely finished ready for use, so that today will mark the end of the Sunday services which since the congregation was organized last December, have been held in the Boersema store building on Kalamazoo avenue, S.E. Next Sunday, August 13, services will be held in the basement.

The edifice being erected at a cost of $16,000, stands at the corner of Watkins street and Neland avenue, S.E. Construction is of brick veneer, of institutional design, with a big dome with ornamental glass.

The basement, now about equipped and ready for use, will be divided into several class rooms, with parlors, a kitchen and lecture room. The class rooms, three in number, will seat approximately 75 persons each, and the lecture room will seat about 250 persons.

The main auditorium occupies the ground floor and will seat about 650, and provisions will be made to erect a gallery along the sides, if later it is found necessary.

There are at present about 65 families in the congregation and negotiations are now under way for securing a pastor to take charge when the church is completed, about October 15. A call was recently extended to Henry meter, a graduate of Calvin college, of Princeton university and of Free university of Amsterdam. He is now in Europe and no reply has been received, but it is possible no definite information concerning his acceptance will be received until his return in the near future.

The last services in the store building will be held this morning, with communion conducted by Rev. Henry Beets of Burton Heights church.

J. & G. Daverman are the architects for the new building and John De Vroome has charge of the construction work.


Transcriber: ES
Created: 6 April 2007
URL: http://kent.migenweb.net/GR/bldgs/nelandcrc.html