OLD FAIR BUILDINGS BURNED
(Grand Rapids Herald - 13 November 1897)

Stephen Swartz Was Also Injured by Explosion of Gas

The old agricultural building, at one time used by the Kent county agricultural society, at the corner of Madison avenue and Crawford street, owned by Joseph Houseman and occupied by Alderman W. H. Gibson as a marble shop, was burned between 9 and 10 o'clock yesterday morning. The small building next to it, owned by John Mastenbrook and used as a blacksmith shop, was also destroyed. Alderman Gibson estimates his loss at $250, and he had no insurance. Mr. Houseman's building wa worth $3,000, and was insured for $500. John Mastenbrook had just purchased his building from Joseph Houseman Thursday. His loss is $300, but he has insurance. The fire originated from an explosion of gas while employes of the gas company were working in the building. Steve Swartz, who boards at the Fletcher place, one of the gas company employes, was quite seriously injured.
A barn at No. 16 Crawford street, owned by H. B. Brown, took fire from the sparks from Houseman's building and was damaged to the extent of $50. The building was insured.


Transcriber: ES
Created: 26 December 2009
URL: http://kent.migenweb.net/GR/events/fairbldgs.html